It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asking for flags on ATS:Legal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
In the this week I have seen many threads that are actually asking people to flag them. I was wondering if this is legal on ATS.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Well if you need to beg for flags in the thread thats sad don't you think.

I just flagged your thread

Because I think the questions valid.

Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
i wish there was a way for people to earn negative flags.

i would definitely have some fun giving them out to people who beg for regular flags! (unless the thread deserved a flag..then it all gets canceled out)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
S+F Is if you enjoy the content, a thread that recieves a lot of S+F inspires the author to create more - not because of the S+F, but because he/she knows that others have read, understood and appreciate the work and effort that they have put into the thread.

For awhile I was losing faith in ATS cause there was a serious lack of quality threads, but recently there seems to be some quality ones popping up.

I think the whole matter comes down to discretion, if someone spends a day writing an article for ATS, as I have done in the past, I don't feel it wrong to include a note saying "S+F if you like this thread"...

On the other end of the spectrum, if your thread is garbage and your asking for S+F, people will notice, most likely not flag you, and they may consider it when you do have a more quality thread, that you were begging for S+F in the past.

I don't think this matter comes down to legality, and well, if it does, it damn well shouldn't. People should be able to use common sense when something should be flagged and when it shouldn't.

The S+F system isn't perfect, case and point, the "Your an Alien" thread. Which, I'll state now, I had no part in. That's an example of a thread that should never have been flagged, but it was. And once again, on the other end of the spectrum I see threads all the time that get buried under garbage on this site that were professionally planned, and executed yet get no recognition.

Moral of the story, discretion.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Dang panhandlers.
Get a job!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
There is nothing in the Terms & Conditions Of Use that prohibits asking for flags (or stars), i.e. it isn't "illegal".

It is however dishonest (and forbidden) to link to your thread where the link is manipulated to automatically flag the thread.

I do however believe that asking for flags is pointless. Members star and flag threads that interest them or which shares their opinion. Asking for someone to be interested in your thread or to share your opinion is pretty pointless, yes? If a thread is deserving, then "they will come"...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
S+F Is if you enjoy the content, a thread that recieves a lot of S+F inspires the author to create more - not because of the S+F, but because he/she knows that others have read, understood and appreciate the work and effort that they have put into the thread.

For awhile I was losing faith in ATS cause there was a serious lack of quality threads, but recently there seems to be some quality ones popping up.

I think the whole matter comes down to discretion, if someone spends a day writing an article for ATS, as I have done in the past, I don't feel it wrong to include a note saying "S+F if you like this thread"...

On the other end of the spectrum, if your thread is garbage and your asking for S+F, people will notice, most likely not flag you, and they may consider it when you do have a more quality thread, that you were begging for S+F in the past.

I don't think this matter comes down to legality, and well, if it does, it damn well shouldn't. People should be able to use common sense when something should be flagged and when it shouldn't.

The S+F system isn't perfect, case and point, the "Your an Alien" thread. Which, I'll state now, I had no part in. That's an example of a thread that should never have been flagged, but it was. And once again, on the other end of the spectrum I see threads all the time that get buried under garbage on this site that were professionally planned, and executed yet get no recognition.

Moral of the story, discretion.

Probably is, the junk threads are the ones that get the flags. If you play to peoples biases, and tell them what they want to hear, then you get alot of flags. If you say things that people don't already agree with, then you don't get many flags.

And who isn't guilty of that? I am not in the habit of flagging threads I disagree with. I flag ones I do agree with. But that in itself is the problem with the flag system.

So by default, it becomes more about playing towards peoples biases than it does about the quality of threads. Flag system is more a indicator of the general bias of people on the forums than anything.

Not sure what a better idea is, but this is the reality of the situation IMO.
'
Personally, I won't flag a thread that asks for it. I actually flag very few threads.

[edit on 7/17/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

It is however dishonest (and forbidden) to link to your thread where the link is manipulated to automatically flag the thread.

I did not undestand this. You mean 'manipulated' in the sense that you provide a link (of the thread) directly to the Flag button, so that when you click on the link, the thread automatically get flagged?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

I believe that 'cheat' was fixed when the self-flagulation option was taken away, no?.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I did not undestand this. You mean 'manipulated' in the sense that you provide a link (of the thread) directly to the Flag button, so that when you click on the link, the thread automatically get flagged?

That's exactly what I mean.

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I believe that 'cheat' was fixed when the self-flagulation option was taken away, no?.

Yes, it was fixed. BUT you know people, and they'll always find a loophole. I just put the "legal and illegal" stuff about flags on the table for a bigger picture.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't flag many threads and when I do it's usually the more obscure or quirky ones that I think could do with a little help - assuming they are interesting and well written.

A week or two ago I accidentally flagged a thread which I meant to subscribe to. I was embarrassed because I thought it was an appalling thread and only wanted to follow it because one of my friends was contributing. Anyway, it had over 50 flags so mine didn't make a lot of difference.

I get a bit stubborn if the OP asks for flags - I'd never give them to someone who asked, although in some cases when they think their thread is extremely important I can understand why they do it.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I personally believe that flags are a waste of time and doesn't really shows the valuable content of peoples threads.

Example, you can find many threads that are worthless in content, but they get many flags regarless.

Still flags is just another way for the site to keep the members feeling that they have a view and mean to show support for their favorite topics but also shows those that have favorite posters.

Asking for flags is just useless as people that agree with a poster regarless will flag even if the contest is crap.

But also good post or thread will also be ignored by those that do not get alone or disagree with a particular poster.

Anyway this only shows how human nature works.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Let's do away with the Star / Flag system, and begin a rating like what we used to have...

Won't be able to rate individual posts (perhaps we could still star individual posts?), so the rating would have to remain at the top of the first page, as you are rating the original post / thread. And definitely on a 10 scale.

And, mustn't forget, make it so it can only be rated once.

Or heck, go for a karma point system instead of stars... click the + and the individual has a better karma while clicking the - reduces it. That way, the poster sees how others see him, and that might improve things.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Actually I'm going the other way with this ...

I ordered little star and flag stickers which I will carry with me at all times.

Someone starts an interesting conversation = flag on the forehead
Someone says something clever or witty = star on the forehead

If all that goes as well as I know it will, I will incorporate the 'foe' and 'ignore' stickies ...

... no 'applause' though as it would clearly be silly.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I need to launch this little small toy we have, you may have heard of them, there called satellite's. So in the spirit of true capitalism i am offering my flags at the unique price of 1 million dollars per flag, so common, dig deep and lets see how much you support your ideology.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I have been seeing this begging to flag threads since ATS changed how "contributors" are "rated".

I said it during the discussion regarding the new "flag contribution level" that appears with the avatar instead of the old points system and I'll say it again. All we are going to end up with are a bunch of "pointless" threads (pun definitely intended) that hope they will get flagged so the poster can move his little blue bar.

Just take a stroll through the recent posts page. Duplicates abound and absolutely worthless topics have been sprouting up since this new system took effect. I swear if I see anymore "birther" threads I'm going to throw my old computer out the window, not my new one, I'm not THAT upset.

OK, I'm done venting. Carry on.

Martha! Where are my pills? I need my pills!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Stars should count for something. A lot of people don't create threads, they just reply to them, and sometimes the reply is better than the OP itself.

But all the stars they get are meaningless, which is sort of a bummer, imo.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Ahh yes but a true Ascended Master will ascribe his own meaning to these things, no? A star has as much tangible value as a flag.

I remember seeing a show about the Mardi Gras where people were actually getting in fights over the trinkets being tossed off the parade floats.

Seeketh not thy value in the extraneous trappings of the world. And stuff.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Theoreticaly, people shouldn't think that those who have a bigger blue line have a more authoritative/acurate/insightful opinion. Practicaly, people think that. Often subconciously, but it still counts. It is the essence of human nature.

Stars count for something too, in my opinion they count MORE then flags since flags only tell us about the poster's ability to start the thread and stars tell more about the poster's ability to debate/discuss/post inteligent posts anyhwere in the thread.

Theoreticaly, all we have to do is click on the profile and see the number of stars people have. Practicaly, lazy human beings are more likely not to do that.

If we can display flags under the avatar, why not display stars too?
"Stars contribution level" or something.
Wouldn't that be a better way to "rate" posts and posters?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I flag and star quite liberally. They don't cost anything and I like to spread a little light and joy in the world as I cruse thru. It never hurts to be nice. I also give bums money....there but for the grace of God....

marg6043....I flag and star you just because you're you so get used to it.

At one time I thought it might be nice to get enough flags so I wouldn't have to see the ads, but recently that ad with the picture of the woman with large breasts has changed my mind. Anything that tweaks my prurient interests is fine by me.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join