It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anything you are excited about right now? What makes "you" happy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Is that happiness though, waiting for tomorrow to come?

Im just wondering what makes you happy?

Boy, that's the thirty million dollar question.

I've struggled a really long time trying to figure out what 'happy' is and whether or not I have it.

I know it's lame, and maybe depressing, but I came to the conclusion a while back that if I wasn't upset about something, mad, sad, whatever, then I must be 'happy.'

But to be completely honest, I'm not even sure I know what it means to be happy.

There are a lot of things I am thankful for, a lot of things I enjoy. The company of my family, good conversations with friends, the aftermath of struggles...I like for difficult things to be over...but does any of that MAKE me happy? I'm sure someone will chime in eventually and say that happiness is an inside job and that things external to yourself can't really make you happy.

I wish I knew what I believe about that.

Im not going to tell you what happiness is because then that would be my own version of it.

I will tell you this though, I have been unemployed for 12 months now after my company going bust when this first hit, a business plan I had failed when I tried to start it up with an honest business plan that I thought would save my home, I have always been honest in my life as much as possible like most people do, I have scraped and I have struggled. Want to know the one thing I have always had and the one thing I will never go without. My lesson if you like. Food, water and shelter.

I was never let down if you get me. I still have my house and food etc.

I accepted that 2 months ago as my lesson and I just got a job in the past few weeks.

Its a miracle that I do because I calculated id go bankrupt in 3 months.

Just saying as I believe everything happens for a reason.

I dont have any riches as far as wealth goes but im happy, very happy because I trusted something that everyone else frowns at these days.

You sound a bit lost?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04

reply to post by Viking04

Is that a half smirk?

Just asking or does that make you feel happy?

I am deadly serious. I wonder why you would think that it was a 'half-smirk'. If you have children, and if you know anyone who has lost a child, or has lived through a badly ill child, you would know that having happy, healthy children is something for which one should be happy/thankful/content.

I fully agree Viking04, well put.

As for what would I consider happiness?

Who was it that said 'happy is the man who wakes in the morning and goes to bed at night and in the time between does exactly what he wishes'--or something to that affect? Dylan, maybe?

Anyway, by that criteria I'm not truly happy.Although there are several things for which I'm thankful.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Clark Savage Jr.]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Today is the same calendar day I was born on years ago!!! I am so glad I exist.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Happy Birthday!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.

Is that a half smirk?

Just asking or does that make you feel happy?

I am deadly serious. I wonder why you would think that it was a 'half-smirk'. If you have children, and if you know anyone who has lost a child, or has lived through a badly ill child, you would know that having happy, healthy children is something for which one should be happy/thankful/content.

I fully agree Viking04, well put.

As for what would I consider happiness?

Who was it that said 'happy is the man who wakes in the morning and goes to bed at night and in the time between does exactly what he wishes'--or something to that affect? Dylan, maybe?

Anyway, by that criteria I'm not truly happy.Although there are several things for which I'm thankful.

I think you will find that the actual saying was originally "Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding."

An unhappy man changed it but that is just my opinion.

Again I ask what would make you happy not just thankful?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

No offense taken. I will extend my comments, if I may. We are currently finishing a new house. I was 'stimulated' from the workplace several months ago. I am looking for work, and with all that is going on, there would be room for much worry, depression, even fear. However, this has been the best summer of my life. My children are 4 and 5. When I was working, I was away from home 11.5-12 hours a day on average. I have been able to spend time with them. We have been able to go to the local science museum. We have been able to go swimming. Throughout this same time, a young couple that I know (I am in my early 40's) have been dealing with a newborn with a serious cardiac condition. Frankly, the child has little hope, medically. He has spent far more days in pediatric intensive care than in his own home.

My daughter now swims like an eel. The son is coming along, and he can swim well enough to not drown were he to fall into the lake. I do not know what tomorrow will bring. I see where a perfectly healthy 6 year old girl died in 48 hours from the flu. There are wars and rumors of war. The economy is in a 'bit' of a mess. However. today, the kids are happy, healthy, and we are together. I thank God for that. They are my two little treasures, and I will remember this summer most fondly. Were I still working, I would not have had this opportunity to spend wonderful days with them, and they with me. For Memorial Day, I took them with me to decorate the graves in our church cemetery. (I know, the whole Memorial Day/Veterans Day, but this is what the church wanted.) We were able to talk about what the men did. (One of them was their great-great-uncle who was killed in Southern France w/ the the 36th Infantry Division Five days before Christmas 1944.) We have walked through the woods surrounding our new house. I have been able to show them how to identify trees, how to identify tracks, and suchlike. I was able to take them to the jobsite to put their handprints into concrete. There are many, many other things, far too many to list, but in total, they have made this my best summer. That may seem corny, but it is true.

I am very happy, and very thankful for today, and for yesterday. That gives me hope for tomorrow.

Thats a brilliant post.

Made me smile too.

Bless you.

I wish your family and your kids all the best

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Thanks so much, now I am even happier.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Happiness is a choice, that's all it is.

Your life is a reflection of your perspective on it. If you go around seeing things as being terrible, they inherently will be.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

What things though?

I am asking about specific people?

I hear what you are saying here but why should parents with kids they would die for or kids with parents too look after, worry about what a media station has to say about anything?

When there is a will there is a way but when there is no will does a media really think there is no way?

Theres a lot of spirit in people. Look around.

You can choose to ignore it but its still there if you get me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Water, Jesus, and helping people make me happy.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

With no sarcasm implied whatsoever I think what would make me personally happy would be if their were less unhappiness in the world. Somewhat of a paradox perhaps, but true nonetheless. The misery in the world seems infectious.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

That is so beautiful Viking. I know exactly how you feel. Looking into the faces of my daughters when we are just hanging out, laughing about something silly makes my heart swell with happiness. Happiness can be that simple.

I am so happy that you have been able to make such beautiful memories while being out of work. Good job!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
reply to post by XXXN3O

With no sarcasm implied whatsoever I think what would make me personally happy would be if their were less unhappiness in the world. Somewhat of a paradox perhaps, but true nonetheless. The misery in the world seems infectious.

Charity begins at home rings a bell if you get me. Im sure you have heard that one before though. You cant bite off more than you can chew either but you can do your bit if its what you want to do. If it will make you happy if that make sense.

I agree with you as well in more ways than I think you will know.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This may sound kind of weird, but I'm happy there are still lots of Americans who bury their heads in the sand and have problems thinking coherently, critically, and imaginatively.

I feel like this gives me an advantage over the average person, but then again, I could easily be fooling myself and stroking my ego for no justifiable reason.

Still, it gives me hope, for my own prosperity, when I see people do dumb things. It's as if they're saying "Hey.. I'm not going to compete with you in life. I'm going to watch American Idol and never learn anything on my own. Good luck being successful in the world. I sure wont be standing in your way!"

I would be happy if people did learn to think critically, embraced liberty as a fundamental, inalienable right, weren't so easily tricked, etc. But if they cant, it just means the people who can facilitate these basic qualities for success stand a much better chance at achieving their goals. That makes me happy

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
This may sound kind of weird, but I'm happy there are still lots of Americans who bury their heads in the sand and have problems thinking coherently, critically, and imaginatively.

I feel like this gives me an advantage over the average person, but then again, I could easily be fooling myself and stroking my ego for no justifiable reason.

Still, it gives me hope, for my own prosperity, when I see people do dumb things. It's as if they're saying "Hey.. I'm not going to compete with you in life. I'm going to watch American Idol and never learn anything on my own. Good luck being successful in the world. I sure wont be standing in your way!"

I would be happy if people did learn to think critically, embraced liberty as a fundamental, inalienable right, weren't so easily tricked, etc. But if they cant, it just means the people who can facilitate these basic qualities for success stand a much better chance at achieving their goals. That makes me happy

Thats a bit of a backwards at coming forwards quote in a way is it not.

If you would be happy if people thought critically why are you not trying to teach?

If your not then doesnt that make you selfish in a way?

It was you who got me thinking in another thread to be honest. I think you know which one.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
i just got engaged recently so im super excited about planning the wedding it keeps me smiling every single day just knowing im finally going to be getting married to my sweetheart. I just started a new position in my company that i love and already met goal for my 1st month which means a nice bonus check. Its also just the small everyday little things that make me smile, my fiance, and all the cute silly things my cats do
oh and MUSIC!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by miss_sky]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I guess it kind of makes me happy that a total stranger would even care enough to ask a bunch of other strangers what makes them happy.Most people would care less about how other people feel.

S&F just for that my friend...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Happiness for me is always around, but never a constant.

I am still relatively young and striving to achieve many things, so inherently I believe it is almost impossible for me to be happy all the time given certain circumstances in my life.

However, the things that keep me happy are:

quiet morning bird songs
hope
the possibility of love
baseball
the possibility of another radiohead album
blue skies
slow moving rainy days
my girlfriend being in a good mood
going to see harry potter in a few days
only having a couple years left of school and subsequently in florida
friends who listen and make me laugh
going to see coldplay in a few weeks
going to see U2 in a couple of months
mystery
kindness
a good book
family
sleep

there is plenty more, but i need to get dinner ready!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Well, I like to hedge every bet I make, so either way I win. This is my way of hedging my happiness

I think there are really just two things we need to make the world a better place: The ability to think critically, and the discipline to not let our emotions trammel that critical thinking.

I let my emotions get the best of me all the time -- usually, it seems, for the worse (since I almost always end up regretting it).

But just having the ability to say "Okay, lets talk this out. I want to understand what you're trying to say, even if (on the surface) I'm completely opposed to it" goes a long long way towards being happy and fruitful in life.

That kind of mentality has never ever let me down. Not once. The only time I am let down is when I fail to apply it.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hmmmm...

I'm losing my Job in about 3 to 4 months. I'll soon be one of the 10% of the unemployeed and have no idea how we'll afford the house. My wife and I are having having marriage issues. Money is as tight as it can be and always causes problems....

But what makes me happy?

A LOT!

Driving to work in the morning at 2am. With the windows down and no traffic. It's my Zen time and I look forward to it every day of my work week. Next time your feeling blue, roll down your window and do the arm-wave-porpoise-thing while driving about 60. It'll make anyone smile!

Spending time with my wife and sorting out our issues. Enjoying why we liked each other in the first place.

As of late, i've learned how to become a pretty decent mechanic. I love doing maintenence on cars and I fall asleep every night going over how to fix things in my mind. It's really relaxing and saves us a fortune.

This wonderful Weather. Spending as much time outside as possible.

Most of all READING. I've never spent so much money or spent so much time on books in my life! I've debated canceling our Dishnetwork due to lack of use. Nothing is more of an escape than having a few beers and reading an awesome book all day.

Things are crappy all around. I'm not going to fall into the trap of panicking and pointing fingers. It's important that everyone try to look on the bright side

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join