It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious, Glowing Clouds Appear Across America's Night Skies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Mysterious, Glowing Clouds Appear Across America's Night Skies

www.wired.com

Mysterious, glowing clouds previously seen almost exclusively in Earth’s polar regions have appeared in the skies over the United States and Europe over the past several days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
These beautiful clouds are a bit of a shock the first time that you see them. I have seen similar formations when in Northern Montana. What makes you think is the quote:

“That’s a real concern and question,” said James Russell, an atmospheric scientist at Hampton University and the principal investigator of an ongoing NASA satellite mission to study the clouds. “Why are they getting more numerous? Why are they getting brighter? Why are they appearing at lower latitudes?”

Has anyone on ATS seen these formations? What is your theory.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Very cool article. Did you notice where it said that they "will have at least 3 1/2 more years to study it?" Why that timeframe? Did you see any reason as to why the clouds could only be observed for a certain period of time?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My first thought was that they might be associated with the earth's magnetism, linking them to sunspot activity. This would explain a timeline for research. I dont think that this is the case, just an atmospheric phenomenon. Best guess is that the amount of funding that they got covers research for 3 1/2 years.

The paranoid part of me says, 2009 + 3 years = 2012

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The Aurora Borealis or Australis?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
They're called Noctilucent clouds and clicking on the link will give you an APOD view and explanation.

I look for them every night if it's clear.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Do you notice how they immediately try to link these clouds to global warming even with out ANY evidence that global warming has anything to do with them.

Talk about propaganda trying to prove global warming.

The global warmers will twist anything to prove global warming is real.

The next thing you will see is the media twisting the story to say that this is caused by global warming.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Actually, within the acrticle they quote a scientist saying that even with man-made CO2 emissions it would only raise the temperature by 1/2 - 1 degree. Showing that it woudn't be enough to cause these clouds. Therefore refuting man made global warming as the cause.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Do you notice how they immediately try to link these clouds to global warming even with out ANY evidence that global warming has anything to do with them.

The clouds might be beautiful, but they could portend global changes caused by global warming.

Nobody knows for sure, but most of the answers seem to point to human-caused global atmospheric change.

I have been noticing a full-on assault in the use of just a smaller number weasel sentences (usually one or two) in any article or media having to do with the planet. Yep, just a bried mention thrown in the middle that will likely be forgotten by the conscious mind. The key is repetition in order to drive in the suggestion without a sense of where it originated. PSYOPs at their best.

It is very important to defend one's mind against this sort of thing. Expect a climate change plug beforehand in this kind of article and you'll win almost every time!

If noone knows the true cause or causes, then it should simply be left open to investigation without the thought-terminating suggestions or should present all considerations. It says "...most of the answers seem..." but not "...the most likely explanations..." That's super weasely.

[edit on 7/16/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The other day I heard someone claim, that was "credible" that our allergy problems were caused by global warming
These people will grasp on to anything to get the simple minded on their side. Anyhow, I have seen some glowing clouds around here, but I was pretty sure they were just low hanging clouds over flood lights...either way they were very pretty, I tried to take a picture of them but my camera phone doesn't shoot well in the dark apparently

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
not only did they try n use the cop out of global warming, but they had to even go as far as sayin MAN MADE Global Warming.

Its funny how they can say they dont know what the cause of it is yet, but then turn around and say it is all our fault.

Since we dont need actual scientific evidence to find out whats to blame, we might as well just blame the clouds on the russians.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
lotsa strange things happening lately, you have the land uplifting and the blob floating around the Alaskan waters and now these clouds, i wonder if its all connected somehow?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Sounds like Foo clouds, special electrical haze of ionized air left
behind by the Foo Cruising Triangles of Tesla getting active at night
due to recombination of atmospheric gases giving off the extra heat
of re combination after being warmed during the daytime.
Its only natural when its not a conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
They even report the NCL's on Spaceweather.com. They even say:

When noctilucent clouds first appeared in the late 19th century, they were confined to latitudes above 50o N (usually far above). The latitude of last night's Colorado sighting is only 39° N. No one knows why NLCs are expanding their range; it's one of many unanswered questions about the mysterious clouds.

They first appeared in the late 19th century? Thats funny...I didn't know we had global warming in the 19th century...

NCL's are simply ice particles that reflect the light of the sun. Because the sun is below the horizon from the perspective of the viewer, the clouds seem to emanate light themselves.
But...if these ice-particles are appearing at lower latitudes, wouldn't that mean that the upper atmosphere is in fact getting colder? The appearance of NLC's is in my opinion likely to be proof of the exact opposite of global warming happening.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dorfl

It is talked about in the article.

As the Earth warms up the top of the atmosphere gets colder.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dorfl

Interesting theory! And if you believe in Lovelock's Gaia Theory of the Earth (Earth is basically a macro-organism that has systems that react like something that is alive), perhaps the Earth is warming and due to that warming one of its cooling systems is activating to bring the temperature down.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
No don't tell me.
This is another Tesla invention to light the ocean skies, to avoid
ship collisions of course, that the Illuminati put them in the wrong place.
Another conspiracy that surrounds Tesla.
Yet he did say it could be done.
Nature is so funny these days to be doing what only one man could do.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Nickmare

The article states:

Right now, during the northern hemisphere’s summer, the atmosphere is heating up and expanding. At the outside edge of the atmosphere, that actually means that it’s getting colder because it’s pushed farther out into space.

Hmmm..sounds plausible...but is it true?
The NLC's are somewhere between 80 and 100 km above ground level according to this article: science.nasa.gov - strange clouds. That would put them in the mesopause (the layer between the Mesosphere and the Thermosphere). The thermosphere (everything above 90 km) is actually warmer than the top of the mesosphere (and the mesopause).

This site explains:www.windows.ucar.edu

From 20 to about 50 kilometers is the stratosphere. In this region the air actually warms with height! Ozone is concentrated in this part of the atmosphere and it absorbs ultraviolet light from the Sun. More light is absorbed at higher altitudes compared to the lower stratosphere, so the temperature increases.

But at 50 kilometers, the temperature levels out again in a region called the stratopause. At about 55 km, the mesosphere begins. In the mesosphere, the temperature decreases with height again, because there is very little ozone to warm up the air. Like the troposphere, the mesosphere is well mixed because the warmer air below is always rising.

Finally, the mesopause divides the mesosphere from the thermosphere, which is the section of the atmosphere higher than 90 km. In this region, the temperature increases again! This time, it is molecular oxygen (O2) that causes the temperature increase. The oxygen absorbs light from the Sun, and since there is very little air in the thermosphere, just a little absorption can go a long way!

So the thermosphere would act as an insulating blanket between the NLC's and space. So cooling by being pushed out into space is not believable in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
reply to post by Dorfl

Interesting theory! And if you believe in Lovelock's Gaia Theory of the Earth (Earth is basically a macro-organism that has systems that react like something that is alive), perhaps the Earth is warming and due to that warming one of its cooling systems is activating to bring the temperature down.

If you look at earth as an eco-system you see a lot of action-reaction events happening. Our biggest problem is that we often don't know what the action was that prompted the reaction. We have no idea of the interaction between earth and it's (extraterrestrial) environment. The NLC's could simply be the result of dust from outer space building up in the Thermosphere. I don't know if we are passing through a dust cloud in space.

I don't put much faith in earth as a (single/sentient) organism. But the fact that over millions of years this flying rock has managed to (time and again) balance it's ability to sustain life, leads me to believe we have a long way to go before we understand how it all works. Our 'models' are way to fragile and simply don't represent the actual workings of earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join