It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flue - reality hits home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have been reading and following all the swine flu threads since its appearance several weeks back - forming my own opinions about its origins and the drugs that are being offered. I was comfortable though as I was on the outside.

However, things got real for me in the last 24 hours:
Today I have been sat with my little girl as she fights swine flu - seeing her burn up as her temperature rose to 103, as she vomits and shakes. Calling the NHS and getting automated replies due to the fact they are over-whelmed and reading the papers showing this thing is now turning very real in the UK.

It's amazing what goes through your head. The logic is it's just Flu but the questions come - do I get my child TamiFlu or not? Now my little boy complains of a sore throat and I know I have little sleep ahead.

What have I learnt so far - well, stock up on kids medicine and get a GOOD thermometer. Its unbelievable but all the shops around me are out of stock. Also the local pharmacy is shut because all the staff are sick! Be prepared, you may not think its for real but I think over the next couple of days it will get worse and stocks will be hard to come by. I have managed to reduce my daughters temperature by having a fan on her and giving her medication and vitamins..... I have resisted Tamiflu - but it honestly is a hard decision when you're faced with it.

This is a pandemic - I know several others that have just suddenly got it. My real worry are for the kids at special needs centres (my wife is a governor at one) - if they get it then the view is some will die.

If this is man-made then judgement will come.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I agree, this is suddenly becoming very real.
Im hearing of many people getting it in my area too.

What is being done about it though?

I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better.

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your little one, hope she gets better soon.

We got a letter home today from my girls primary school, a couple of kids have it and one member of staff. Then tonight i went to a parents evening at the secondary school where my eldest is due to go to this year, and theres a member of staff and three kids off with it.

The schools are staying open, but those affected have to stay home.

I have plenty of kids meds here, flu stuff and the likes, not much more i can do really.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

The Doctors I spoke to this morning gave a number to call.... that number told us to call the doctors.... mostly, people dont know what to do.

So much for it hitting this winter - its hitting right now in the UK and possibly next week we may see a few businesses closed because of it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Remember it is no more dangerous than an ordinary flu, don't work yourself up and stay calm. If you seem worried it may worry your children

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Man! I so sorry for your little daughter!

Hope she recover without any complications, and gets well soon!

I have an eerie feeling that this fall is going to be awful! but lets hope for the best developments!

Crazy times indeed!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I'm very sorry for you daughter friend, I'm sure she'll be fine.

I can also understand the dillema you're going through with regards to Tamiflu, and the heartache that seeing your child sick is causing.

But I am sure of several things:

Yes there is a flu pandemic.

Yes some people are getting very sick.

Most people are feeling little or no symptoms except a headache and a sore throat.

In th UK 29 people have 'died' of swine flu, out of 55,000 cases, all but two of these died 'with' swine flu, not 'of' swine flu.

Even if the above statistic were true, these odds are comparable to a normal seasonal flu outbreak.

In the UK, 20,000 people die anually from flu.

The media has worked the public up into a frenzy, put 'swine' in front of anything and it's 'bad'.

Of course it is spreading, and it will come back in the Winter, but it is flu, not ebola.

It is impossible to develop a vaccine in 6 months that is tested sufficiently and safe.

I mean you no disrespect when I say this, I hope your daughter will come through ok, and when she does, she'll be lucky to have had the flu so that she builds up some natural immunity.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zoopedia

Exactly - that's what I wrote in that the logic is 'its just flu'. Logic and reality are 2 different things though. I am not worried as my kids will fight and move on. There are lots of kids that wont be that fortunate because this flu spreads so quickly. It's just interesting to see how your thoughts get tested when reality hits home. I found it easy to read, form views and comment on the topic when its 'someone else, some place else' - as I have done over the last few weeks but when it gets real.....

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I hope your kids recover soon!

It's very difficult looking after sick children, especially when you feel helpless. I think it could be a good time to keep some extra medicines in stock at home.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Indeed - I had a sore throat and real lack of energy which I am hoping was my dose. I would rather my kids get it now rather than in the winter....and it is 'just flu'... but I am starting to think there is more to it - time will tell.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am very sorry to here about your kids and I hope and pray your family will be ok,
This is a worry for me too,
as I have 4 kids , I have alway said NO to the TamiFlu and my family would never take it,
but and its a big but,
if my kids (or wife) get it, I know I would rethink.(it too easy to say no when you not affected)
If we are right and they are trying to get us to take TamiFlu,
then I think they will win when it comes to family,
after all what are we too do, it is very very scary.
I wish all you family the best, good luck to you all.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

And mate, I really know you must be thinking "Easy for you to bloody say, it's not your kid in bed!". But I swear if it were my child I'd still think the same. My niece and nephew were ill last week, I was laid up for four days, felt like I had dumbels on my arms and legs, sore throat, cough and cold the works. But at the end of the day it's the flu like you say.

I do understand, I'd give her fluids and keep her comfy, but if her temp goes any higher I'd call an ambulance or something mate. Remeber, better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It must be hard to watch your children go through this, I hope she will get better fast.

By the way I'm not an expert at all, but I'm not sure if cooling her down with a fan is that great of an idea. I think the fever is there to help fight the flu, so cooling her down may make the flu last longer.

Like I said I'm not an expert, so is there anyone here that knows if that is true?

Anyway make sure she drinks enough water.

I hope all goes well.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

In healthy kids, fevers usually don't indicate anything serious. Although it can be frightening when your child's temperature rises, fever itself causes no harm and can actually be a good thing — it's often the body's way of fighting off infections. And not all fevers need to be treated. High fever, however, can make a child uncomfortable and aggravate problems such as dehydration.

What Is Fever?
Fever occurs when the body's internal "thermostat" raises the body temperature above its normal level. This thermostat is found in the part of the brain called the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus knows what temperature your body should be (usually around 98.6° Fahrenheit, or about 37° Celsius) and will send messages to your body to keep it that way.

Most people's body temperatures even change a little bit during the course of the day: It's usually a little lower in the morning and a little higher in the evening and can fluctuate as kids run around, play, and exercise.

Sometimes, though, the hypothalamus will "reset" the body to a higher temperature in response to an infection, illness, or some other cause. So, why does the hypothalamus tell the body to change to a new temperature? Researchers believe turning up the heat is the body's way of fighting the germs that cause infections and making the body a less comfortable place for them.

kidshealth.org...

I hope that helps and I hope she feels better! My friend just had swine flu, but he's much better now. I imagine it's hard on little kids, though.

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Sky are reporting that it's just killed a healthy boy of 6.

A six-year-old boy from Kent who was believed to be otherwise healthy has died after contracting swine flu, Sky sources have said.

The latest death comes after Britain's chief medical officer warned that up to 65,000 people could die from swine flu across the UK.

Sir Liam Donaldson also suggested 9% of the workforce could have flu by the end of August, rising to 12% over the winter.

The grim predictions - a worst case scenario - came as the Health Protection Agency said 29 people have already died in the UK after contracting the virus.

Source: Swine Flu Kills 'Healthy' Boy Of Six

What gets me, there was also a doctor on Sky today saying that it was a bit hit and miss how they got the figures for all the cases and predicted deaths.

CX.

[edit on 16/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
One trick for keeping temperatures down is Popsicle.

Just pick up a box or two and let your little ones have one and it brings the temp down. It also helps with hydration.

Best of luck.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
For what it is worth it has hit Saskatchewan as well.

We have a new strain up in Prince Albert area.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The big difference between swine flu and seasonal flu is it's ability to ravage a person's lungs and subsequently kill them rather quickly. And it isn't just people with underlying conditions such as asthma or obesity that this happens to, if it infects a person's lungs it quickly goes from symptoms of regular flu to having to be on a respirator and praying.

www.theday.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">”In contrast with run-of-the-mill flu viruses,” Cartter said in his e-mail message, “the H1N1 virus exhibits an ability to infect cells deep in the lungs, where it can cause pneumonia and, in severe cases, death."

The other symptoms are just like the regular flu and it is really only if the lungs get infected does the real disaster begin. Just be sure to look out for any trouble breathing in anyone with the swine flu and at the first sign of trouble breathing, burning in the lungs/lots of fluid or phlegm; I would suggest taking them to the hospital as soon as possible.

But yeah for the most part, unless it hits the lungs it is going to act mostly like the seasonal flu, save for the stomach issues (diarrhea, vomiting) which is slightly unique to this strain.

--loqeth

[edit on 16-7-2009 by loqeth]

[edit on 16-7-2009 by loqeth]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I agree with the comment above about popsicles (ice poles to us Brits), they also help with sore throats as well as hydration and temperature.

I hope your daughter gets better soon.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Hello,
i am sorry your daughter is not feeling well, and hopefully her fever will break. I would continue giving he meds to reduce her fever,and if possible, why not get her in the bath tube, with lukewarm water, not cold water as it will cause shock. I have doen this many times with my own kids and even if she is in for 30 minutes, it can do wonders!! I usually sit with my kids and pour water on the backs sometimes their heads, and it relaxes them and helps bring the fever down. I wish you ad your family luck!! I hope your little ones get better.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join