It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's God awful!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Senator Barbara Boxer, during a committee meeting was accused of racism:

What a bold move to stand up to a Senator [espcially who is on her high horse] like that. The issue seemed to be that Boxer was trying to use the NAACP to go against what the National Black Chamber of Commerce is doing—regarding alternative energy, I think. In any event, the man told her what he thought of what she was doing—it was, "God awful racism." Maybe if more people who testified before Congress acted this way, Congress would realize again that they represent the people and that they're there to serve the populous as a whole and not play political games with organizations that support them and what not.

Actually, it probably wouldn't do anything, they are "superior" to us and all. It's just nice to see someone put these politicians in their place.

[edit on 7/16/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Usually, i'm quick to cite that a black person just takes to much offense.

She was off though, way off, and I know it had to of hit a nerve in alford, it definately did, glad he could keep his composure though!

He's also not an african-american, he's black by skin, he's american above all. If anything, American-African. At the very least that is.

I don't really know what that woman was thinking. Eek, she got called out though, or maybe she just didn't see it in herself.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What a load of crap - I can't believe everyone is falling over themselves trying to politically correct and talking about black and white. Your community, my community - Black Chamber of Commerce??!

What a pile of divisionary crap. How can anyone even support the idea of a Black Chamber of anything!? Lets make some White Chamber of somethings - what a disgrace to intelligence all these arbitary divisions are.

Get rid of the whole racial language and so on - no-one should be able to create black or white organizations - there are no 'special' needs. Everyone has special needs - and should be dealt with in the same law and process as everyone else.

Both of them - and everything in this video and anyone who thinks that either of them has a point - are disgraceful.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I understand what you're saying. I agree that a "Black Chamber of Commerce" is divisory, but, even if it's baby steps at first, it's good that Alford called Boxer out on the NAACP thing as it could lead, eventually, to America truly being one.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You know, the westen mind and philosophy is ate up with duality. You/me, us/them, et cetera. Until we as a whole rid ourselves of the concept of duality, there is going to continue to be a problem.

Racism is something that has existed for centuries. It, however, became predominant with the advent of western society. We see things as being separate, rather than whole.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Could the point of this exchange be that the senator is not necessarily going against the black chamber of commerce but against alternative energy?

Maybe it's not racism but alternative energy is just not supposed to happen because big oil is still in business?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I just saw this on Fox News. While I agree we need to get away from the Black-White issues, I loved the way he called Boxer down. The only thing that could have made it better would be if he had called her "Ma'am."

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Exactly, if more blacks were not openly or covertly excluded from social networks that are used in the business community there would be no need for a seperate network.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
WOW!
Once again I need to open my comments with that.

She really tried to back him down by playing the RACE CARD?!?!?!?!?
Wat baring does entering into the record OPINIONS of 3 black organizations have on the FACTS of the matter?

Basically she said "I see your Black Chamber of Commerce and raise you 3 other black organizations."

"Too bad BCoC , your facts don't matter. We have 3 black organizations against your 1, you lose."

She was absolutely condescending to him.
"So this is what I'll do. Because I am sooooo sympathetic to you, I'll enter your info into the record. Normally we would just toss you out. Doesn't that make you feel special? Now I'll just go ahead and enter these others in there too. And I'll explain it in a way so you don't realize I'm trumping your testimony. Hopefully all you will hear is NAACP and accept your fate. You don't mind do you? You are black after all. You should be proud to have their documents in the same record as yours."

What is happening here is that some time later, when the records are referenced, they will show 3 other "studies" in the record along with Mr. Alford's testimony and, not having been there at the hearing, assume that a debate was held and the BCoC CEO acquiesced.

But there was no debate. The outcome was predetermined. He was only there to be informed of their decision.

new topics

top topics

join