It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Science and Buddhism Meet: Emptiness, Interconnectivity and the Nature of Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hi folks ... put on your thinking brain, it's big thought time.

I discovered this great little vimeo blog named Where Science and Buddhism Meet. Other than my commentary, most of the source material for this post is by the vlogs author Gerald Penilla who deserves full credit for compiling this work.

Many including myself have long suspected that quantum field theory is a pointer to a greater awareness as to the true nature of the universe and ourselves. Not an answer by any means, but a liberating prism through which 'truer' questions arise.

As a result many have documented their thoughts on the connection between the scientific and the spiritual. It may well be that quantum theory is where these two seemingly paradoxical positions cross paths. There's both inherent irony and symmetry built into this notion. Not dual spirituality (see Zen, Ramana Maharshi, Eckhart Tolle, Allan Watts, etc) is based on the very same understanding, namely that contradictions and paradoxes are in fact simply falsely premised mind made relative constructs which collapse at the most fundamental level. So, in the spirit of "as within so without," I present you you with the following interesting videos:

Much of the underpinning of non-dual spirituality is the liberation from the mind's identification with form, namely that we are not who/what we 'think' we are. Once again this seemingly abstract spiritual notion is backed up by actual science.

and ...

If atoms are 99.999999999999% empty space then why don't things pass right through them?

Keep in mind as you go through this stuff not to get stuck on the Buddhism aspect of all this. Buddhism like most things the human mind wraps itself around has all but lost it's original meaning and has become just another concept for humans to position themselves around. As the narrator himself alludes to, most ancient teachings, including those upon which modern day religions are based on, touch upon the same thing. Namely that the material and non material are in fact one and the same to everything other than perception. Science in the form of quantum mechanics is in fact evidence to and not against this reality, a mirror if you will.

I hope that in some way that the videos and linked material convey this understanding.

Further interesting reading and watching:

How atoms work

Wave-particle duality

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Where science and philosophy meet...great idea S-Dog (it's big thought time...cracked me up...

Anyhoo, it occurred to me at some time in the past that Kharma can be phisiologically explained...if it is a philiosophy that basically dictates that you get what you recieve...

The dream process is a process that electro chemically stores the individual's reactions/perceptions/interpretations of the past day (or past waking period) into usual default experience for the basis of future 'automatic' response. This process serves as an immediate response (learning that your girlfriend doesn't like shoes on the bed and then not repeating it the next day) or what we call instinct (knowing that fire burns so touching it isn't a good idea....

The instinct aspect of this bit o side bar proves (rhetorically and in my opinion) that the phenomenon is a physiological one indeed while the shoe expression is more important to the Kharma illustration...

...namely that if we perpetuate negative or positive behaviour and interaction then that is all that are bodies are 'downloading' for future default action. Which suggests really and truly that one does not want to go to bed angry...

Hope that made sense and now...back to your regularly scheduled excellent thread...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The power of nothing.
Something came out of the spark gaps of Tesla.
Whatever is in that empty gap is eventually busted for lack of a better word.
If the nothing had power and filled up coils there might be something to this.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

...namely that if we perpetuate negative or positive behaviour and interaction ...

Did you just say spooky action at a distance? I think that you did.

Here's an interesting article on that mind blower:

Science, Spirituality, and Some Mismatched Socks

Or as Mr Bernard d'Espagnat said:

"The doctrine that the world is made up of objects whose existence is independent of human consciousness turns out to be in conflict with quantum mechanics and with facts established by experiment." *

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Did you just say spooky action at a distance? I think that you did.

In the sense that one's action's and/or the communication of one's actions (by oneself or as a third party communication) can positively (as in will effect) effect another person and help to determine the outcome of events (whether they be personal or more general)...then yeah...I did just say that...

But as far as Kharma goes in my bit of a post...I was trying to communicate that there is a physiological reason why people are doomed to repeat the mistakes of their past if they do not consciously understand them and change in cognitive subesequence...or not...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
"we are all sculptures of light"

I think I came up with that while painting one day, most probably it's not something new as I'm sure many have come to the same conclusion too. I feel somewhat distressed when some claims that the New Unified Theories, String Theories, this / that Theories is revealing the "true" nature of reality or even "The Face of GOD" in some circles. It is safer to approach all this as a small glimpse of reality as it appears to those that approach it from their perspective. There are many and much of our reality that is not being able to be detected or measured by the devices or machines available now. As soon as they are able to refine or make better and more refined machines they'll be discovering more and more "elements" and more and more theories will abound.

All this will reveal much but still there will be much more to be revealed
The mind is great ... no machines created will be able to equal it
It was created through a process of great expanse of time
Much of what is discovered is a form of REdiscovery
It is just our way of finding the way

~t=0~

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Bell's Theorem
www.upscale.utoronto.ca...

As the response to the Einstein, Rosen and Podolsky (EPR) experiment

is the most profound discovery in the history of science.

Why? Because it proved elegantly, simply and emphatically, that the deepest level of reality is NON-LOCAL or instantaneously connected, right across the entire spectrum.

Compared to this, Einstein's Theory of Relativity is just a useful convention, but not an accurate reflection of the true nature of the universe (one song).

This would mean that there is no closed system, and certainly no such thing as isolate consciousness or a materialist realism in the traditional sense.

And if consciousness is primary, as opposed to matter, then this represents a scientific proof of the Tao.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Oh now this is an interesting bit I'll have to devout time to later, sadly I have to get ready for work but for the mean time I will give a star and flag for this thread, and come back and see all of it hopefully after the dreadful time I'll be having at work.

The concept seems interesting enough and quite frankly I like both science as well as the concepts presented within' Buddhism.

Thank goodness for ATS if it wasn't for this site all summer long I would feel like my brain wasn't getting enough usage

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Agreed ...

The trap here however is not to make another "thing/concept" of this awareness.
The internet is full of 'quantum spiritualists' who have merely conceptualized yet another paradigm to attach themselves to.

Spiritual teachings, quantum theory, etc, are just glimpses of what one might call 'it,' signposts if you will, but they are not 'it.' If anything quantum theory by nature points that there's no such thing as 'it' ...

It's all fun and games till someone loses an I.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
It's all fun and games till someone loses an I.

OMG, that's too funny!

And when someone loses an I - what happens then? Do the fun and games come to an end?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

And when someone loses an I - what happens then?

Same thing that happens when one loses a quark ...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Nothing..?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint

Nothing..?

lol, no not nothing ... I don't know is the both the zen and practical answer.

How embarrassing, I'm afraid you caught me in a metaphorical bluff.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think I once lost an I playing a game of "who am I?"

It freaked me out, and I went a little bonkers for a bit.

This time I'm ready I think, because I know more.

It's entirely safe to lose an I I think.. and a good thing to do, makes you more charming I would think as well, to be a nothing.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
what does one do when one reach a bluff ?

~ jump !

What they could make sense of the Bell's Theorem is that there's no such thing as NOTHING when there's an "I" around

So when there's no longer an "I" around would "NOTHING" be there ?

on paper it looks majestic ... billions of light years can skip by in a blink of an eye

Do "I" play by their rules or do they play by "mine"

The ego detests helplessness ... especially when it doesn;t wear any clothes

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by third_eye

So when there's no longer an "I" around would "NOTHING" be there ?

Kind of ...

When there is no "me" "nothing" will be there ...

Not because there will be nothing, but because "nothingness" will yet one more mind made concept construct to be freed from.

By definition it cannot be communicated by language, there is no "it" there is no "nothing" there is no "there" or "is" or anything ...

Yet it is all that there is.

The alternative?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Ack, I meant to come back and reply after at least getting a glimpse of the first video (will be watching the rest this week) so far I found the first part interesting, but at the same time it made me scratch my head at quite a few things. Especially at the part dealing with waves and particles. Though maybe it's the summer bug and the fact that I've been out of classes for quite some time now.

Overall though I subscribed to the person and plan to watch the next few after getting a good healthy dosage of sleep in the daytime
. Thank goodness for understanding managers at work who gave me the week off, now I can watch the videos without being rushed.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I hope I got that all down .......

what wuz that ... tosufferistoloveistosuferfromsuffering ?

O_o

wut?

new topics

top topics

join