Are mirrors portals to another dimension?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I've always been wary of mirrors; since I was a child, I felt they may be portals to other dimensions, where things can come through if you're not careful.

Just the other day I listened to a Coast to Coast Am show with Joshua P. Warren, the paranormal investigator. He said that in almost every instance of a haunted house, the owner would lead him into a room with the words, "And this is the haunted room," and invariably there would be two mirrors (or reflecting surfaces) on the wall facing each other.

You know what it looks like when two mirrors face each other, and you get this kind of "neverending tunnel." I find it incredibly creepy.

Warren also said that he devised a room where people have close encounters with the dead (and who knows what else). Apparently the setup consists of a mirror in a darkened room, a chair, and a dim light source behind the person on the chair. You sit there and make sure you can't see your own reflection in the mirror, and just stare at it.

Warren said people have seen dead relatives manifest and actually come OUT OF the mirror, and they could talk to them. One guy who took a small recorder into the room had the most awful noises on the tape -- growling and snarling like from a demon.

So I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying this at home (I certainly won't), but I would like to know if any of you ever had a weird experience involving a mirror, or also just your theories about mirrors and portals. Fire away!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You should try filling a glass with water and looking deep into it for some time. Dont ask me why but you might start to see thing's.

No idea why this is or what it is i just ended up staring at a glass off water while laying in bed one day.

Pay special attantion to the reflection of the room that form's on the glass.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
No... its a reflective surface.

Do you understand why mirrors reflect light? Maybe you should google some stuff.....

Did you know that if you step on a crack it really will break your mothers back. Its statisticaly proven that in areas with less mantianed sidewalks have drasticly higher occurances of back injuries to prmary gaurdians.

Anyone can make something rediculous sound plausable to people with no common sense.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
mirrors arent windows to another dimension. they are a piece of glass with shiny stuff on the back.

They used to be made out of metal.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
No... its a reflective surface.

Do you understand why mirrors reflect light? Maybe you should google some stuff.....

Did you know that if you step on a crack it really will break your mothers back. Its statisticaly proven that in areas with less mantianed sidewalks have drasticly higher occurances of back injuries to prmary gaurdians.

Anyone can make something rediculous sound plausable to people with no common sense.

Yes mirrors cause a reflection of light... However I have had many instances where I feel uncomfortable looking into the "infinite" illusion that mirrors can do. Something about it does give me the creeps as well, almost as if my subconscious knows something.

Good thread!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by gravitybender]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

It's weird that you bring this up. I watched the Unborn a few days ago. In it, an old woman says that mirrors are portals. She instructs the main character to break every mirror she has and burn the pieces. Good movie, odd coincidence.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sylvie through the looking-glass! Could be...

I'm not sure exactly what, but I think at some point I may have seen something in a mirror that definitely wasn't in the room...
But then again, (not to sound narcissistic) try looking into your own eyes in the mirror, I wasted/lost(?) an hour doing that, I just got trapped! Not vanity I swear!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have never personally experienced anything of this nature but the idea really interests me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think the reason people find mirrors so eeire is because when you look deep into a mirror, you see the room and yourself in a different perspecitve, so it feels eerie because its not normal.

Also, with having more mirrors in the haunted room, most likley to help with there paranoia, (even though, as explained above, most likley makes it worse).
Mirrors are an old and cheap form of survailence, so if your scared of your room and have that constant feeling of someone is behind you, your probly goin to buy a mirror without even thinkin why, just thinking "this room could do with a mirrror". And with most cases (not all) when people say they see something strange in the mirror, its just the brain "monging" out to the mirror in a trance, relaxes itself, something sudden happens, the brain cant make sence of it quik enogh, tells you its something firmilier (a dead relative or friend, or sometimes if a firmilier memory is not used, will just be something completly random and unkown, aka, "goast/deamon). This is bassicaly one of the causes of halusinations, when the brain cant make sence of something quick enogh, it makes something up to fit its place, hence seeing things that arnt there.

Having said that, i do believe that theyre is some cases that have some significance in the wierdness that goes on sometimes, but most of the time, it can be explained with simple logic.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There is an old saying that you should NEVER put mirrors on 'outside' walls in your house. Put them on inner walls but never on walls that have the outdoors on the other side.

I hate mirrors.
(no .. not because I can see myself - figured I'd say that before someone else did.)
I hate to sleep in rooms with mirrors.
yes, that's probably whacked ... but there it is.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Coast to Coast AM just had a show about mirrors and other dimensions.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I never did believe that mirrors were anything more than reflective surfaces until my 3 year old got an "imaginary friend" that she could only see in the mirror. She said his name was Thomas. She would stand and talk to the mirror for an hour at a time. I later found out that a 3 year old boy was accidentally killed on the property at the turn of the 20th century. His name? Thomas, of course. Now, I'm not the type to fall for just anything, but being that we didn't know a Thomas and she didn't watch any tv shows with a Thomas and to my knowledge had never even heard the name before, I found it rather odd. She's 7 now and says she can't see Thomas anymore, but she does remember talking to him.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
No one yet has mentioned obsidian mirrors.

Or even

Mirror mirror on the wall...

I have also wondered a similar thing with pictures, if they can be a portal to somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
According to my current belief system, mirrors are portals.
I have protective codes on all of my mirrors, whe I first put them up,
I felt an instant change in the space. One mirror that I have belonged to a friend that passed away. He was a strange fella much like I am a strange gal. Lots of people used to look into that mirror.

A side note back in my mystery school days we were told of an exercise to see your other selves ie past lives. You had to have a new unused mirror and a midnight in the dark with just a flashlight to stare into it. I never tried it sounded to darn scarey. LOL

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Funny, just this morning I was wondering the same thing about mirrors. I a realist, so I dont believe in myths until they are proven. But I am also a...realist..so I admit that the possibility exists that there may be things..beings, dimensions whatever beyond what we know. It just made sense that mirrors, 2 mirrors facing each other to provide the infinity effect, would make sense as a gateway of sorts, or a way to view alternate dimensions. I look forward to hearing more comments on this

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The only thing in a mirror is the reflection of what is in front of it. C'mon people, are we that desperate to have something "out of the ordinary" that we are now projecting our fantasies onto inanimate objects? This is so silly. If a mirror in some way "creeps you out", it's because you want to be "creeped out". Some people's minds just can't accept that we are boring, ordinary humans all alone in our neck of space on a boring, ordinary planet having boring, ordinary lives. So you choose to believe in something extra-ordinary and your brain helps you to see what you so desperately want to see. Sort of an unconscious self hypnosis.

Once you accept that there is no such thing as dimensional portals as well as spooks, witches, vampires, goblins and aliens creeping around the planet just to scare you, you may have a more enjoyable and less fearful life. I always ask ghosts and aliens to show themselves. Nothing yet...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
no no, candy man was was the reason behind these fear of mirrors. candy man along with countless other scary movies where the ghost come out of mirrors. that is scary and scary event have special place in our memory bank regardless of its validity.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I am a huge believer in paranormal/aliens/etc. Not to diss anyone but I think that a mirror is just a mirror, I doubt that we could have access to other dimensions just by buying a mirror at walmart or something.

On another note, if it was true, it would be awesome.

*I do believe that there could be mirrors out there that could be portals but not just any mirror. It would have to be enchanted or somreething.

Just my opinion

GREAT THREAD though!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tall cool1
The only thing in a mirror is the reflection of what is in front of it. C'mon people, are we that desperate to have something "out of the ordinary" that we are now projecting our fantasies onto inanimate objects? This is so silly. If a mirror in some way "creeps you out", it's because you want to be "creeped out". Some people's minds just can't accept that we are boring, ordinary humans all alone in our neck of space on a boring, ordinary planet having boring, ordinary lives. So you choose to believe in something extra-ordinary and your brain helps you to see what you so desperately want to see. Sort of an unconscious self hypnosis.

Once you accept that there is no such thing as dimensional portals as well as spooks, witches, vampires, goblins and aliens creeping around the planet just to scare you, you may have a more enjoyable and less fearful life. I always ask ghosts and aliens to show themselves. Nothing yet...

I think most people here on ATS are looking for something out the ordinary. Most threads on here are out of the ordinary. Besides, this whole mirror thing is very thought provoking...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
Some people's minds just can't accept that we are boring, ordinary humans all alone in our neck of space on a boring, ordinary planet having boring, ordinary lives.

Sorry you have such a boring, ordinary life, tallcool.
At times, I have wished my life had been a little more ordinary and boring. As someone who has lived through astral attacks, malevolent hauntings, and other things that go bump in the night, I think it's not too far-fetched to be scared of an object that might let "things" through. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by sylvie]

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join