It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA ADMITS: Moon Landing Tapes Got Erased

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

NASA ADMITS: Moon Landing Tapes Got Erased

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The original recordings of the first humans landing on the moon 40 years ago were erased and re-used, but newly restored copies of the original broadcast look even better, NASA officials said on Thursday.

NASA released the first glimpses of a complete digital make-over of the original landing footage that clarifies the blurry and grainy images of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the surface of the moon.

The full set of recordings, being cleaned up by Burbank, California-based Lowry Digital, will be released in September. The preview is available at www.nas
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Was there not a thread not too long ago stating that the original tapes had been found in some guys attic or something like that? I also heard a rumor that the original tapes were being kept in the back of a building that looked like an abandoned McDonald's.

Either way, i think this is a blatant lie and pretty astounding. Not only is that a landmark in our history that they supposedly "erased", but this is NASA. they cant just say they erased the tapes... that's ridiculous. They just don't want anyone to see the raw tapes, and i think its for 1 of 3 reasons:

one: There's things on the tape they don't want to explain

two: the tapes contain proof the landings were faked.

three: they didn't bother to make tapes of the fake moon landing

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A Heapin' Helpin'

On the bright side, NASA is proud to offer the complete Beverly Hillbillies on authentic, re-used moon landing tapes.

At least they have their priorities straight.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You guys are being way to harsh on NASA. Magnetic tape is a scarce commodity, and needs to be reused whenever possible. The moon landings were hardly worthy of permanent archiving on the original tapes. In fact I can't believe NASA feels it necessary to store the STS mission videos in digital format, think of all that disk storage going to waste on such superfluous endeavors.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

(*slapping forehead*)

they supposedly "erased", but this is NASA. they cant just say they erased the tapes... that's ridiculous. They just don't want anyone to see the raw tapes, and i think its for 1 of 3 reasons:

one: There's things on the tape they don't want to explain

Fortieth Anniversary, I suppose this is going to keep happening....

You linked the Reuter's article...did YOU read it???

There were archival CBS News and other sources found, and used, to restore for the 40th Anniversary. The tapes mentioned in Australia are being discussed here on ATS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Utter rubbish! We are talking, here, ONLY about Apollo 11 footage. The color camera taken on Apollo 12 was accidentally aimed at the Sun, with the lens cap off, by Alan Bean (and boy did he feel bad about that!). Apollo 13, well never landed. SO, 14, 15, 16 and 17 all have good, color video. AND all of the landings have loads of still photos!!!

(another face/palm moment...)

Really...seriously...read.

[edit on 16 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Now how do you erase and re use the originals but then get newly restored copies that look better than the original?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by frankensence
You guys are being way to harsh on NASA. Magnetic tape is a scarce commodity, and needs to be reused whenever possible. The moon landings were hardly worthy of permanent archiving on the original tapes. In fact I can't believe NASA feels it necessary to store the STS mission videos in digital format, think of all that disk storage going to waste on such superfluous endeavors.

Edit: LOL OOPS. Didn't pick up on the sarcasm before my OP. Was a bit too angry.

-----------------

(Content removed)

What freakin' planet am I on?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Elepheagle]

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Elepheagle]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Now how do you erase and re use the originals but then get newly restored copies that look better than the original?

Because they simply retouched the 'original' footage that Americans saw, which was a video-taping of a screen in Houston...in effect a copy of a copy.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by frankensence

Lol, I think if anything would be worth keeping on tape it would be man's first trip to the moon. This just makes no sence...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by frankensence

I have to tell you, it took me a while to grasp that this is irony. Actually i was considering a pretty poisonous response , for a while
And while i do not support people who think that NASA did not land its astronauts on the moon, i actually start thinking that original movie could indeed be lost, on the landing due to malfunction. And they had to film the thing on Earth in studio. Otherwise erasing "small step for man, giant leap for mankind" original is much much worse then smashing satellite into Mars because foots are not meters.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I never believed in a moon landing conspiray until now,when the some of the most famous footage ever recorded in history apparently accidentally gets erased.

I now believe there is some conspiracy going on what that is who know,maybe they did really fake the footage NOT because they didn't land on the moon i believe they did but because the original quality was that bad.Obviously if this was the case they certainly wouldn't want that coming to light with all the
"moon landing was a faked" going on.But what a time to admit it guess they didn't have a choice,reminds me of the fredrick valentich ufo case

[edit on 16-7-2009 by eyeswilldeceive]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Sir Patrick Moore was in charge of the BBC coverage of the Apollo 11 landing

The footage of the BBC and ITV coverage became victim to the then broadcasting policy of either wiping videotapes or simply not keeping them at all. It is not definitely known what happened to these original tapes.

One of the few fragments that survived

1 minute of footage of James Burke reviewing the Apollo 11 launch on 16 July 1969

Caption
A video fragment of Patrick Moore and James Burke presenting in the BBC studio on 20 June 1969. It lasts 20 seconds and comes from an amateur home made recording.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Why is it so hard to believe the first landings were faked?

How can they loose or tape over a monumental piece of film. What utter BS.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

what do we always say here on Ats...

If we had the original, hard copy of the footage we could get a better idea of what were actually seeing.

as opposed to NASA's video-cassette recording copy of the broadcast, retouched for HD viewing.

I don't know if you remember the moon landings... i don't, because it was before my time, but the impression i have gotten decades later is that people still see it as a major landmark in our history.

so yes, they are important. yes, i did read the article. and yes, taping over, losing, disposing of or tampering with those tapes in any way is like carving your name on the wall of a gas chamber in a Nazi concentration camp.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elepheagle
Because they simply retouched the 'original' footage that Americans saw, which was a video-taping of a screen in Houston...in effect a copy of a copy.

The Saga Of the Lost Space Tapes

"As far as we know, all the tapes were handled properly from a mission perspective," she said. "Typically, when we record at a ground site, we don't preserve data tapes. The scientific investigators will get what they need and then erase. But here there is some indication that we didn't destroy the tapes but stored them for some period of time."

The tale of the missing Apollo 11 tapes is made all the more awkward because televised images of subsequent Apollo missions were greatly improved. It was only for Apollo 11 that an unusually configured video feed was used. It was transmitted from the moon to ground sites in Australia and the Mojave Desert in California, where technicians reformatted the video for broadcast and transmitted long-distance over analog lines to Houston. A lot of video quality was lost during that process, turning clear, bright images into gray blobs and oddly moving shapes -- what Lebar now calls a "bastardized" version of the actual footage.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Well at least one of John Lear's 'wild stories' comes home to roost

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So the most historic moment in Human History, and somebody " erases" the tapes to "reuse " them as if their budget didn't supply them with enough tapes....

If this hit MS news 50% would believe it and not think twice..

The other half........The smarter more intelligent half of our dumb countries population would instantly realize something is up....................

You don't copy over old wedding footage let alone the first moon landing.........

Weddings happen every day and those tapes always can be found 20 years later......but this is a once in a life time thing and " Oops my bad " happens ??

I used the wedding reference myself, no it has nothing to do with post, just reference...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
lol, yes I was being sarcastic so my apologies to anyone if my response led to any confusion!

I mean, I still have original newspaper clippings of the moon landings from 1969, and I would think that anything pertaining to the moon landings in NASA's possession would have been turned over to the National Archives or at least treated like treasure. It's one thing for a television network to have a policy of reusing tape, but for the agency responsible for putting men on the moon to erase them is sheer folly or signs of complete neglect.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eyeswilldeceive

I never believed in a moon landing conspiray until now,when the some of the most famous footage ever recorded in history apparently accidentally gets erased.

Can we please stop beating this horse? It's dead already, and is not coming back to life.

Again, to repeat, the story is referring ONLY to the Apollo 11 video. The very idea of live video from the Moon was sort of a last-minute afterthought. This is 1969!!!

NO VCRs

NO DVDs

The 8-Track tape had just come out, it was supposed to be cool!

Keep mindful of the historical perspective, folks. And, recall there was plenty of video, live video, from subsequent missions.

So there wasn't a short-sleeved white-shirtednerd at NASA who thought ahead to save the Apollo11 tapes!?! They had plenty of better-looking footage, in color...it's only later, with the 'conspiracies' being talked about, that the issue comes up!!!

It was stupid, and showed a lack of thinking, but to say that it was done 'intentionally', in 1969, just to 'cover' something is just way out there.....

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
lol, yes I was being sarcastic so my apologies to anyone if my response led to any confusion!

I mean, I still have original newspaper clippings of the moon landings from 1969, and I would think that anything pertaining to the moon landings in NASA's possession would have been turned over to the National Archives or at least treated like treasure. It's one thing for a television network to have a policy of reusing tape, but for the agency responsible for putting men on the moon to erase them is sheer folly or signs of complete neglect.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by frankensence

Although you may THINK what you are saying is logical I must simply disagree for two reasons.

1) They are a government entity and should NEVER destroy anything. Even the STS missions with all that space being taken up.

2) It's OUR PROPERTY not theirs! Who paid for it?

#2 above is the single most overlooked and important reason. Sure, magnetic tape is/was a pain in the rear but it's still 'supposedly' (though I lean heavily towards us landing) one of the most important events of our history. Period.

To give such a lame excuse about them being 'accidentally' erased only sparks the conspiracy theories even more.

More of our tax dollars being wasted.

And please don't give the reply of wasting tax dollars on storing this stuff. It's our property and that property has a value attached to it. More than the money that has been filtered into the space program. We have a right to view ANY tapes or images they have but they refuse to do so.

Why would that be? And when you also reply to that stating that they do willingly allow for all images to be viewed know this, I sent in a formal request. When asked to pay or give a reason not to pay (a terrible question) I replied stating that I already paid for this with my tax dollars.

Anyway, their reply, which unfortunately is gone now with the account I used at that time, was simply that due to national security reasons the archives are not made available. That all of the 'good' pictures are on their website.

Yup, their straight shooters alright.

Edit to add: Just so you know, this reply wasn't directed, well, directly at you. It was at the statements (even though it was filled with sarcasm) for those that may actually believe what you said or take it completely to heart.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by dariousg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join