It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken News: Media Distortion...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
"Three weeks ago the Daily Telegraph published an unpleasant article headlined

“Women who dress provocatively more likely to be raped, claim scientists”.

It was based on the unpublished and unfinished dissertation of a masters student and got the story entirely wrong. The title of the press release for the same research was

“Promiscuous men more likely to rape”,

I wrote about this two weeks ago here, documenting all of their errors in detail." Quoted from an article by Ben Goldacre

The article goes on to say that the British Psychological Society had complained to the Torygraph and they had changed the article a little, yet still managed to get it wrong.
Here we have the link to the second article...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This is the link to the criticism of the article, which is perhaps more important, as the original, incorrect article has been replaced with a newer apology, but one still in error.

www.badscience.net...

A very sensitive subject, poorly handled by the UK press.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think that claim is definitely FALSE.

If a woman dresses promiscuously, or nicely wouldn't you imagine that this woman may have more confidence, then a woman dressed very drabby, with head low?

It's been shown that these women with more confidence actually put a damper on a rapist's agenda, for they would be more likely to fight than to give in, as a woman with low self-esteem might.

Seems that they need some better journalists.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
We should just kick the *snips* of the people at the daily telegraph for saying this crap.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Totally agreed with both posts, the original title of the student's essay:

"Promiscuous MEN more likely to commit rape"

I'm not sure what to think of the journalist involved in this, surely it can't just be laziness or an actual inability to think, with errors this bad, it would seem to have been done on purpose.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That was some dude's essay!?!? This was just that student's theory. Theory isn't news!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

neither is what the celebreties wear or which country Angelina has adopted a kid from this time but they will still spoon feed you THAT crap

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Since when it is acceptable to blame the rape victim for the rape?

That has been taboo forever, rightfully so.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by A.M.L.

The Telegraph is a (very) right-wing paper and editorially would no doubt be happier if we were living in Victorian times and with corresponding values.

Sadly, I think this "story" also highlights media agendas, in an epecially despicable way.

new topics

top topics

join