It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

First of all, I cannot see how you've contributed anything to this thread other than a generalized malevolent attitude towards those of us that wish to come together and compare feelings / experiences about the traits we share.

I wish there were a way I could pluck you from this thread and toss you into cyber-dungeon. I suppose you find it entertaining to come here with your contrary ideas and get a rise out of people that are already stressed out and often times suffering from anxiety.

If you were trying to make a valid point about evil in the world, we are well aware of it. Usually too aware. Why don't you slow down with your typing and do a bit more reading so you can really get a hold on what we are talking about here.

Edit to add: To everyone else on the thread, I'm really glad you're all here. *Group hug*
(don't let this warm fuzzy hater get to ya!)

[edit on 16-7-2009 by jackieps1975]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I will be back in half an hour, I sense you have something interesting to reveal.
Op its like I could have wrote your reply except with cats instead of dogs lols we should keep this thread going.
Back soon!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

This guy is a troll. this isnt the only thread he is messing up...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

Yes indeed Badfuture, we will keep it going. There are a few subjects that I really want to address but I need to finish up in the office and get myself home before I start digging into the really deep conversations.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Guys this is really sick for me. The last six months I have really discovered who I am. After six extremely rough years, I am back on the road and ready for the world. For about a month I received some kind of insight and I realized what I had to do. Lately my passion and life seems to spin around 2012 and what I need to do. I realized that I was a backpacker and also a teacher. But this really explains it, this is what I am. And my "mission" is to in some way steer the world into a somewhat more loving world.

This my sound humbugs for some, it really does for me to. But why shall I not believe in it? This let me travel meet people and spread some love. Let us be the light in the dark, a cliché I know but the metaphor is true and correct. We are needed badly right now.

Love!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by InOurNature]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just wanted to add to the thread a bit, by sayin...

That article basically just told my life story in a nutshell lol

For years tho I had guilt added into the realm of emotions inside, because all the "spiritual leaders" i had to talk to about this stuff going on in my life, ALL, said that what I did was of Satan, demonic and evil in every way, and I was condemned for it.

So the endless circle of "You're evil" followed by "you HELP people, how is that EVIL??" would spin out of control in my mind.

Sad situation really. Drove me to being a recluse for quite some time. I'm past it all now, and grateful to be so, but if you're having this kind of thing go on, just know that you're not alone in it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't often post on ATS but felt I had to on this thread!
Yes I definately an empath, I am sensitive to everyone and everything around me; People,animals, places, the weather! Like alot of people have said already I am at ease when I am around nature, Infact I have most of my creative thoughts when i am walking. But if there is even one person on the landscape, it changes. Not necessarily (sp) even in a negative way, just... different.
I have always been drawn to animals and they drawn to me, I understand them, I guess its communication in a way but without words, just feelings. does anyone else have this? Years ago I worked in a rescue centre and it was so heartbreaking... I left after I was sent to get something from the area that was nicknamed "death row" a holding area for the dogs who were going to be put to sleep, no contact, no exercise, no natural daylight, it was one of the worst experiences of my life and I will never forget it, it was like screaming in my head. horrible. I also used to work as a veterinary nurse too which was equally heartbreaking but also sooo heartwarming in different ways. I could look at the animal and would just know its story. One time i remember I was stroking this very sick cat who had been brought in as a stray but I knew he had an owner and was missing her so much and I could feel how much she missed him too, and I cried so hard.(that story had a happy ending, the cat made a full recovery and was reunited with his owner) I think animals are drawn to me as they find it so difficult to express themselves to humans normally and they sense that i 'listen' so to speak!
Animals are one thing people are another. Our thoughts and feelings are so complex. I CANNOT be around anyone thats in a bad mood it either gets me anxious, or I get over sensitive or tearful or I get in a bad mood too! I'm not too bad with large groups of people now I used to be but I think I block it out more now, saying that I can sense the 'vibe' of a place as soon as I walk in, even if there are no people there at the time! I have cut out all the negative people and their energies in my life I cannot be doing with it they drain me and upset the balance in my own life. I like to think that life experience has taught me to be a good judge of character, and I know in a second if someone is lying, does anyone else have this too? like an in-built lie detector, its brilliant, a combination of body language and instinct.
Also... just knowing stuff. I know stuff about people that I shouldnt as no one has told me, its like I sense things, I dont even have to see the person involved. Sometimes its about people I havnt even met but they are close to someone I know. Its weird.
Also, when someone is suffering or upset, especially if it is someone close to me, I feel the pain in my heart chakra, like a knife twisting,like it has been you hurt. IfI see someone cry, I cry. Sometimes I dont want to feel this way, that I could be a bit more detached, but the I guess I would belike a lot of ppl out there who just dont care!
I think its all perfectly natural though, somewhere along the line humans have lost a lot of these skills and we are slowly getting them back. intuition, empathy, telepathy etc are all natural survival skills (I like to think empathy is a 'pack' consiousness maybe) Its like we are all radio transmiters giving off thoughwaves and 'feeling' waves, and only certain people are tuned in to receiving them.
to all the empaths out there

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Hi, it looks like we have a trans-atlantic time difference here but I like the atmosphere in this thread, even the trolling was informative lol.
jackieps1975 you can always u2u me if the vibe changes.
Other than giving advice or comfort to other people, it's hard to see many positives to being an empath.
I also find it frustrating to never receive the same level of empathy back, to be honest it never crossed my mind that most people aren't capable of it.
I wonder are we the healers of society? Because I gotta say I'm a million miles away from that in reality lol.
Recently I lost an easy thread debate and got two warnings etc due to anger, like someone said (it may have been you) once the anger strikes you lose the empathic ability. However powerful a social skill it is, it seems we can only use it for good.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Oh wow, after all the searching, finally a sane reason for my feelings. This seems to make perfect sense to me. Like I kind of knew it all along. I've always known that I had some sort of a clearer view about people. I study them so much and I'm generally the only person that everyone at my job will talk to. (I hardly ever have beef with anyone.) Even still, I think it's been back lashing on me. Sometimes - at random points- I'll feel what feels like the greatest depression or sadness and I have to excuse myself and cry and let it out. It's almost embarrassing, but it's been happening more so now than it used to. I tried to chalk it up to 'I'm female it must just be that time..' but it's not. I know it's not. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm pretty sure my 2 best friends are also empaths, they're the only two people in the world who I have chosen to associate as my friends. (Yea, I'm picky) But it's only because we are so much alike. We can discuss a situation for hours in deep deep conversations and still have our own views but completely agree with each other. Anyway, thanks again for posting this, I needed some insight!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Nice post, but in veiw of the predictable responses I have this to say,
Surely all but the most insane or egotistical among us are emphath's or have atleast some degree of emphathy in them? I know I am very emphatic but hate the idea of being branded special somehow or an indigo child or any of that crap! We are all special, have special needs and therefore should look out for each other. Simples! Fair enough there are some completely ignororant of this fact but nobody is any better than anybody ellse, Please end this big up me Im different from the rest BS because at the end of the day we are all more or less the same!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

I just wanted to reply to what you said about not feeling it back. I completely agree with that. Other than my 2 friends nobody I know shows me the same amount of empathy that I show and I think it also leads me to a frustration, a feeling of "I'm trying harder.." or something, depending on the situation. I find it hard to keep a relationship going sometimes because I'm always riddled with emotions during them. Like a mix of mine and everything else in the world, it has made me more so destructive in the past but after reading this thread I think I'm going to try harder to be less angry at people taking advantage of my feelings and try to feel more for them. I don't know what this all really means but I agree with you. =)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badfuture

Hi, it looks like we have a trans-atlantic time difference here but I like the atmosphere in this thread, even the trolling was informative lol.
jackieps1975 you can always u2u me if the vibe changes.
Other than giving advice or comfort to other people, it's hard to see many positives to being an empath.
I also find it frustrating to never receive the same level of empathy back, to be honest it never crossed my mind that most people aren't capable of it.
I wonder are we the healers of society? Because I gotta say I'm a million miles away from that in reality lol.
Recently I lost an easy thread debate and got two warnings etc due to anger, like someone said (it may have been you) once the anger strikes you lose the empathic ability. However powerful a social skill it is, it seems we can only use it for good.

I think we really need to heal this world. Not only us of course but we are capable of wonders (all humans are). We need to stand positive and loving. Take care of the people around you let people know what love is about. Use your abilities to change peoples mood, shine like the wonder you are.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
I am an empath. I spend most of my time alone, and I can sense when people are not being honest. I freak out in large crowds, took me awhile to figure out why. I cant stand when people are mad or fighting, either with me or someone else and I tend to avoid those situations. I have been told by quite a few people that im very easy to talk to also, but that depends I can be very cryptic also,and most would think im crazy. I do tend to manipulate unintentionally and when I feel like I am I let the person know im not tryin to tell them what to do, just suggesting...

PEACE!!!

Yes that is my world too
Though I tend to manipulate people on the level of thoughts and mind though like yourself it is subconcious thing if I feel I need something or I am threatened.
As I use this ability as true Peacemaker Because I work in Security and have never needed to use any physical force.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Boogley

I hear what you're saying, until a few hours ago I thought I was the only one who felt like this.
The fact the thread has grown only proves that this empath label is real.
As for what it all means, hopefully we can all gain some understanding.
I just realised one positive, we get to live life on an intense level. Sometimes its an intense thrill ride other times its a depressing nightmare but either way, we get a richer experience IMO.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Empathy in Practice

Once I was in Miami, minding my own business, walking down Collins Ave. A group of kids , whilst walking past me , start to surround me, then one of them shoves me abruptly on the shoulder, saying, " Hey, man, don't i know you?" I was in my mid thirties; and, there was not a kid here over maybe 17 years old, the majority of them probably 14 or 15.

I knew not to show fear, so i became one with them so to speak.

Now this was a total lie, which i hesitate to do, but i was threatened.

I replied, " Yeah man. Raiford wasn't it?" (Thats the state prison in Florida)

The kid replied, " No, man i'm too young for Raiford, were you there?"

"Yeah, waxed a guy. got another one while i was in there. ha. argued my own case and got out after 11 years. nobody cared anymore"

With this the youngster, rolled up is shirt to show me the scar from where he had been shot. Another guy offers me a cigarette.

They thought it was cool. Anyway, empathy can be a good thing at times. Had i reacted differently, i know they would have rolled me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Is being an empath your x-men ability?

ATS must just attract all kinds of "Special" people; seems like every week there are five or six threads where people claim to be "Unique" or "Gifted" or some complete BS like that.

So empath means what?
You're super sensitive?
Congatulations.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Raised by a man that was regarded as having zero empathy, I ended up at the entire opposite end of that empathy spectrum. This post really resonates with my heart, thank you jackieps1975.

Maybe one day, we will wake up to a world in which mankind is willing to forgive all enemies, past or present; a world in which mankind has finally acquired a deep-seated sensitivity for all living things, which now more so than ever, seem to be struggling through difficult lives here on earth.

This is my dream, for our world.

Peace on earth …

[edit on 16-7-2009 by seasoul]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dewm0nster
Is being an empath your x-men ability?

Empathy can be powerful. On the Florida Real Estate Agents test, empathy and ego drive are considered the most important attributes to being successful in the trade.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Wow, I never knew such a term existed! I feel like I just read the story of my life. I now know without a doubt that I am an empath. And it is true, I grew up always trying to help kids at school whether it be problems at home, with friends, and so on. My mom always tells me that she remembers when I was in 2nd grade and how the teacher called me her little helper, since I would always be talking kids through conflicts and problems.

Maybe empaths will help save humankind.

Excellent post. S&F!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Whats up with these people that feel so offended with this thread? They are clearly very frustrated about something.

I have the sensation that they feel threatened in some sort of way to admit their own uniqueness (why else would they bring up this word if it wasn't mentioned before in the thread?). Nobody here said that they were special, but they act like we are all bragging about how special we are. It doesn't make sense. Although we are indeed special. Special like everyone else.

I sense a lot of fear and I can perceive a chain of repression being brought to us.
Why the difficulty to let it be?

Let's brake the chain of intolerance and replace it with a chain of understanding, shall we?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join