It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I was sharpening my keyboard to roast you with as I'm neither a child nor harry potter but you make a great point in your second post.
Surely we are all of the personality types, well played good sir.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I guess you are right.
I just got excited about the thread and was trying to make some connections.
Thanks for making me realize that the connections are all made already.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I fit much of the description, but I've always called it 'social anxiety'. I hesitate to label myself an 'empath', since I've seen the word thrown around a lot in psychic chat rooms.

As for dealing with social situations with a lot of other people, I used to carry a 'worry stone' in my pocket and rubbed it all the time. I thought of it as keeping myself 'grounded'.

I took the 'RHETI' enneagram test and scored highest (6) on Type 5, but followed closely (5) on Types 4,7, and 9.

Over the last 3 years I've taken the MBTI test several times. I always scored as an INTJ, but I never felt right about it. I was suppressing my feelings, for years. I've taken the test a couple times in the last few months, and I now score as an INFJ. I feel that's a bit more accurate.

I'll just keep telling myself it's just social anxiety. I'm more comfortable with that than presuming to perceive too much about how other people are feeling, whether I am right about them or not.

Edit to add: MBTI/Jung Typology Test

[edit on 7/16/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i do believe aswell that we are all one and the same its just that empaths are more intune with this than most other people, some empaths are known to be in connection with not only human thoughts and feelings but also nature, she seems to talk to some of them and they/we get a sence of how nature feels and changes that are happening.

Its good to finally be in contact with like minded people were we can exchange experiences and help

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Im gonna share something that might make all of you really unhappy.

In an infinite universe there is infinite suffering. There are an infinite number of poeple commiting suicide as i speak on differnt planets. There are an infinite number of societys torturing and killing those who speak the truth. There are an infinite number of lives who never get to know or understand anything but pain in reality. This will never end and there is nothing you can do to save them all. There is no magical heaven... there is no freewill... everything you are is just memories... without them you are nothing.

We are all looking for a face in the heavens and we arent getting $%^&. In the knowledge of these things there is an understanding that gives rise to a limitless compassion for us all.

There is also the other side of the spectum equally. It really is about where you are and who your with. All i can hope is that this place changes or that i can leave it.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Well!!...its a perspective! lol not one I would ascribe to though...you sound like a cup half empty type.lol..

If there is an infinate number of bad things happening..then surely there must be an infinate number of good things happening!!

Suppose it all depends on which side of the fence you want to sit on!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

Its all about what you intend to do with your knowledge. Do you think that as an empath your gonna be able to only feel the warm fuzzys? What good are you to them when you know nothing of their pain?

Who do you plan on helping, people who are mearly sad because its rainy instead of sunny outside?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by shuck

Its all about what you intend to do with your knowledge. Do you think that as an empath your gonna be able to only feel the warm fuzzys? What good are you to them when you know nothing of their pain?

Who do you plan on helping, people who are mearly sad because its rainy instead of sunny outside?

ok i see were your going with this, its all about choices and understanding, and not being under the illusion that its all gonna be strawberries and cream and that theres a downside to the abilities some of us have, do we dwindle away our gifts and pain we feel or do we do something about it.

its a tough one but i believe every small step we make can helpbe it to listen, to watch to hear and to understand the inner workings, the knowledge of whats to come or is here is often a greater burden than the constant noise in our heads tbh

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Damn , people really like to feel, they belong to some type of group.
I am quite the apathic type , guess i am the nemesis of you "empaths" , and i am felling a uncontrollable need to troll this thread.

Self proclaimed angels , i mean empaths , piss me off with the fury of one thousand bill o'reillys.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by dracodie]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Wertdaft ...You obviously know nothing nore understand what empaths feel...but you do have an opinion and indeed a valid one..and its always good to have a devils advocate!!
in whatever guise they present themselves!!

The fuzzy feeling is nice though!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Well this thread has taken an interesting turn.
I can't speak for the others but I only wish to find out more from people who seem to think and feel like me.
If I can help someone I will but I'm also fully aware of the futility of saving someone from themselves.
There are no enemies of yours in this thread so what are you doing???

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Do any of you empaths ever wonder WHY you are empaths? Do you ever wonder that maybe the emotions of the world are becoming so much more intensified that it needs to be "diffused", so to speak, by being spread around?

Sometimes when I am in the company of those who are in a lot of pain or anger, just my presence seems to calm them down. I feel their emotions intensely even if they don't say a word. I feel like I've "absorbed" it or at least some of it.

Maybe that's the purpose of being an empath?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think we are all tied into each other on a certain level.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

keeping this discussion on the ground.

There are people who have developed a sense of the tiny variation in behavior that show thoughts and emotions. This knowledge is and will always be painfull.

Some people might want to take stupid tests and compare how much higer their tickle rating is, but that doesnt help anyone.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That's fair, I suppose we were all pretty excited when we started to post replies.
We all seem to have are feet planted firmly on the ground now though.
Why are you so angry in your replies? What direction do you want to take this thread?
I'm just like you, I love a good trolling session lol.
Are you sickened by this thread? I wonder because you've yet to clarify your interest in it.
Before I forget for the 5th time S&F

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

This is so exciting to me, I've never spoke to fellow empaths.
How do you all deal with the negative sides of it? the older I get the more exhausted I become.
I am becoming increasingly more consumed with hate and anger at how petty the human race is.
Any tips on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.
This is thrilling.

It's great to see another person who understands on this thread!

I have to be perfectly honest and tell you that I have great difficulty controlling my anger and mood swings at times. I can fly off of the handle at the slightest things sometimes. I don't have a great cure for it yet but I do have a better hold on as to exactly why it happens.

This is my take on the situation. I find myself getting angered and frustrated mostly because I forget that people are not as in tune with me as I am with them. For example, if I'm feeling fragile or just plain crappy, no one notices......but when the people around me are feeling that way I always know. So it seems that when we are feeling bad, we're even more alone. I hope that makes sense. It's frustrating because we feel extra isolated in all these extra emotions we have.

The things that seem to work for me the best are being with my dogs and nature. If I get out of the house and go walk around the yard, or take the dogs down to the lake, those things make a difference. The most effective way to let go of all the negative feelings is to remove yourself from whatever is stimulating those feelings. Also, take a few deep breaths and having a cocktail is also pretty high up on my list of coping skills.....lol

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Thats all it is.... nothing magical, only logical. You damn kids are ruining everything with you magic bull%^&$.

Judging by your comment it's clear you didn't read the OP or our responses. Where you get off making such a false accusation is beyond me.

I don't recall a single individual calling themselves a magician! Perhaps if you have some amazing skill set you'd like to share with us, we'd be interested, really!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Theres a very very grim reality looming ahead. I want every one of you alive and awake before the SHTF. Anyone who has carefully read my words will have alot to think about.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

Hey there! Is there a specific test you used? I'm taking one now, it's going on forever....lol!

BTW, if we want to take the test, we will take it! We were after all discussing the common denominators of our personalities & behaviors, so it does fit here........

AND I'm the OP and I say it can stay so nah nah nah nah to that kid
:p

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I tend to think these people are intelligent intuitives with empathy.

What's the saying? That conscious awareness is but the tip of an iceburg, and the submerged majority is the sub/unconscious? Seems to fill in all the gaps that we have yet to know, IMHO.

There's a lot of processing going on in that gray mass, and we know next to nothing about it so far.

Oh and btw, I fit the description, but not at all times. When I'm upset, my intuition is first to go...I think. These typings seem to be nothing more than an ego boost. No thanks. I've got too many faults yet to discover and I've noticed lately that time is quite limited for us all.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by unityemissions]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join