It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Wertdagf
empathy is being able to pick up on subtle variation in behavior that relate to inner fellings and thoughts being processed.
Thats all it is.... nothing magical, only logical. You damn kids are ruining everything with you magic bull%^&$.
Originally posted by paxnatus
Originally posted by andrewh7
I think we need to come up with a definitive label for these kinds of threads because they are posted over and over again. Allow me to summarize:
1. OP appeals to outsider, social phobics by dropping personality traits that would describe the vast majority of this population, or, quite possibly almost everyone on earth.
2. Rather than flaws, OP insists they are merely objective symptoms of a thread reader's special and rare gift or status, e.g., having latent superpowers or being an alien.
3. Based solely on the satisfaction of the OP's own test or symptom checklist, thread reader enthusiastically claims to be a member of this rare class of persons.
4. Thread reader eagerly describes personal anecdotes or behavioral tendencies that are consistent with the OP's checklist.
5. Thread readers states, "I knew I was different from most people but until your thread came along, I just couldn't figure out how. It's good to know that I'm not alone."
6. Thread reader describes the unfortunate but inevitable consequences of having the superpowers - the burden they must carry but nonetheless welcome in the service of a greater good.
7. OP congratulates thread leader on making the discovery, suggesting what a powerful and positive effect the reader can have on the world with advantages that put him or her above the limitations of most human beings.
8. Thread loses attention/popularity
9. New thread created with different superpower. See Step 1.
I suggest we nickname these threads the Peter Parker Threads, since Peter Parker was the textbook-definition nerd who got powers and redeemed himself completely.
[edit on 17-7-2009 by andrewh7]
what is your point here? Why so angry? If it is just more of the same then why did you bother to read it? Are we offending you some how?
Let me be clear, if we have offended you, that is your issue to work out, not mine or anyone else's. No one has said anything offensive at all. So that begs the question, why you?
Originally posted by jackieps1975
I wanted to ask you guys if you notice that certain behaviors seem to irritate you immensely. For example, I have this thing with manners. I really feel it's the cornerstone of human consideration. Very basic stuff here. When people don't say "thank you", I take extreme offense. Often to the point where I might actually say something to them. There is a lack of respect and humanity that has been spreading for years.