It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

grrrrrrrr
the masses and their damn censorship.

"You're brilliant, now let us fix it"........ this is precisely why I will never be 'text-book' successful in any artistic manner. I do not confirm. I play the game to earn a living but when it comes to something I'm passionate about I will not compromise.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the apparent death of creativity in this country......all you have to do is turn the TV in to see where individual thought has gone

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

Just a few personal observations, if I may...

Empaths are often invisible, blending with their environments so as not to appear any different than their friends and neighbors. They are very sensitive to attention and do not enjoy being at the center of it. They far prefer to observe at a distance and to offer themselves only if asked.

Empathy is both a gift and a curse because it not only offers immediate impressions of every encounter, but empaths themselves are also often plagued with self doubt about those impressions... no matter how many times over the course of a lifetime they find they have been right.

For the natural empath, loud, volatile people are quite often painful to be around. Being in a large crowd is almost like drowning. Peace is found in quiet solitude.. or sometimes, just excusing yourself from the world around you, regardless of where you actually are.

Sometimes, nobody is preferable to anyone at all.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Just a few personal observations, if I may...

Empaths are often invisible, blending with their environments so as not to appear any different than their friends and neighbors. They are very sensitive to attention and do not enjoy being at the center of it. They far prefer to observe at a distance and to offer themselves only if asked.

Empathy is both a gift and a curse because it not only offers immediate impressions of every encounter, but empaths themselves are also often plagued with self doubt about those impressions... no matter how many times over the course of a lifetime they find they have been right.

For the natural empath, loud, volatile people are quite often painful to be around. Being in a large crowd is almost like drowning. Peace is found in quiet solitude.. or sometimes, just excusing yourself from the world around you, regardless of where you actually are.

Sometimes, nobody is preferable to anyone at all.

Thanks

Thank you for your thoughts redoubt! I would have to agree with you on most of those points

The oddity though is that I find our people to be very versatile when need be. You are absolutely correct in our ability to blend in. In my professional life, no one really knows my true nature (unless I invite them to of course). Let's just say, we were many masks. It's part of the ability. We can basically present whatever we choose to outsiders.

It can be a lonley life for many, particularly on an emotional level because it's so very rare to find individuals in our day to day lives that have the same deep perception of 'feeling'. It's true that our preference seems to be either solitude or a very small, close group of loved ones.

I used to be a wild child who loved large gatherings......but the wisdom of growing older, combined with the empath traits simply isn't conducive to that way of life any longer. When I was younger I held out alot more hope in humanity as a whole. As we grow and participate in the 'real world', those harsh realities intensify everything we already know and make it much more challenging to overlook. My sense of intuition has always been the same but my reaction to it has changed drastically. I'd be false if I said I wasn't extremely jaded by what I've experienced in this life. Though, on the other hand, I have also seen amazing acts of selflessness and great beauty in people. Sadly, this is the exception and not the rule.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I wonder how many of us were wild children, The thing that gets me is, we were generation X, brought up on pills, thrills and perception.
Now what are we? I look at the generation coming up and I know whatever we had as a collective, it never got past on.
I was part of the illegal warehouse rave scene, as an empath it was amazing to feel the togetherness of 3000 other clubbers peaking at the same time lol, they had to impose new laws to make us submit but this new generation is so controlled. It must be a market researchers dream come true lol.
Or maybe I'm just getting older, damn kids and their facebook lol.
I remember those halcyon days though, sure! It was chemically enhanced but it was new, exciting and tribal, I thought we had a real shot at creating something better than what had come before.
You look around the street now and its nothing but fear and paranoia maybe thats why we are recoiling from society because its so full of negativity.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm truly amazed. For years I've been kinda telling people close to me that I was a little psychic when deep down I knew that wasn't exactly the right description, it didn't quite fit what I go through and what I feel isn't really a psychic experience. However I absolutely know...and I mean know!.. what people are thinking or how they feel about something. I feel emotional content and energy radiating off almost everything i come in contact with or think of. I know the sentiment behind almost anything anyone is about to say which almost always means I can tell 'what' it is they are going to say (hence the confusion with psychic experience). I can almost see auro's without trying and so many more things that have confused me over the years.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I read this site half for amusement (at some fo the weird cr4p people get into) and half out of sheer pleasure for the conspiracy thrill. This is the first post I've read in years...maybe ever..that struck me to the core. I felt like I was reading a description of myself.

does anyone know of anywhere that delves into this area more, I'd be fascinated to learn more and talk with others who experience this, I just thought I was a bit weird.

love it! I'm smiling like a madman now!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Duderood

I hear what you're saying, if you look back over the early replies, you see how excited we all were too!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Since we who are empathically inclined are emotion and intent perceivers, what would happen at an Empath Convention? LOL

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Could there possibly be a correlation between empaths and those with low latent inhibition? (I apologize if someone mentioned this already and I missed it.)

For those who are unfamiliar with latent inhibition, it's simply our ability to filter out stimuli. Wiki - Latent Inhibition

Those with low latent inhibition have a difficult time filtering out stimuli. This can lead to heightened creativity in some, madness in others.

Some recent studies have posited that those with higher intelligence combined with low latent inhibition tend to be creative geniuses while those with lower intelligence and low latent inhibition tend to be mad. I don't find intelligence to be so easily quantifiable but take it how you will. Some more of that in the Harvard Gazette

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

If an empath read another empath who loved them and they loved that person too; then,
the emotions would keep reverberating until one of them ascended!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
one of mine.

suck at this emotion

lyrics. don't match it all yet. still awork in progress ;-)

Suck at this Emotion

despite all the rain
i'm addicted to the pain
when i try-i only lose
and there's nothing left but you

hey man, keep me runnin
cave man, keep me comin
hangman's got me runnin
shaman's got me comin

tripped on my emotion
second that emotion
sick of this emotion
planetary motions

all i feel is pain and i'm stuck in this emotion
suck at this emotion

yeah, i tied my noose
and i'm gonna cut it loose
breathe it in my head
spit it out like lead

tripped on my emotion
planetary motion
sick of this emotion
planetary notion

* edit to link to the song with effects

[edit on 21-7-2009 by ogbert]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have to say I'm pretty out of sorts today but I'm glad you're all keeping the thread active, for those of you that are sincere at least....

I'm beginning to find more and more disingenuous people around here on ATS. It's pretty unfortunate because I was really starting to buy into the whole "helping eachother" thing.

Just call me hyper-sensitive.

I will be more wary in the future.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ever seen one of those fantasy paintings of an beautiful Elvish-fairy like female, who is surrounded by wild life that accept her as one of their own? The image conveys that she is one with nature. She is a part of it, and understands it. She would never harm it.
Do you know anyone like that in real life? I do. It is my little sister.

She has the ability to connect with living things...she is an Empath in her own way. My sister has wild animals that are hurt or sick, come to her, and they actually allow her to help them. Squirrels, birds, rabbits, opossums, raccoons, all have come to her for help. She always comes thru.
She has Ferrel Cats that will run from everyone else, yet live on her back porch.

I have witnessed butterflies come to her hand, and land. She just stands in her yard, holds out her hands in open palm fashion, and after a while, one will show up, and land on her. ( she does not scent or bait her hands either )

She can hold a bee, and it will be totally still, until she softly says " goodbye" then it takes off.

She isn't afraid of anything. Her vet says he has never known anyone like her. He is totally amazed. She must possess canine blood in her, because she has uncanny relationships with dogs.

My sister stands five feet tall, and weighs 95 lbs. She has waist long auburn hair, and wears only all natural clothing, She is a staunch vegan, and takes no medications. She drinks all natural herbal concoctions. She has never smoked, or done drugs. She has a very soft, beautiful sounding voice. Her face is very pretty with huge blue green eyes. She is unmarried. She does not want to be married. She is 40 years old currently. She likes her animals, and gardens. She is artistic, and creative. She lives very quietly, in a home that looks like something out of a Thomas Kinkade painting.
She is also a very hilarious and funny little thing. Intelligent as hell too.

Now, why you ask, would someone like this not want to be with someone who would love her deeply. The answer is this, she doesn't like people that much!
Not that she hasn't friends...or even a couple of ex boyfriends...her hearts desire is that of a life she is more happy in. This then would be her Empathy.

My sister knew from the time she was a little girl, that she never wanted to be a mother, or have someone else giving her crap. So, boyfriends never last. We warn them, don't try to change her, or tell her what to do...
They don't listen, and then try to be the MAN in the relationship. She tells them to take a hike. She's a heart breaker unfortunately. These men have wanted her very badly as their wife...but, cannot compete with natures love for her, and her love for it. I give her credit for knowing what she is, and what she does not want.

I have come to conclude, that a child of nature, cannot belong to anyone.
My family has long embraced what she is...a pixie! We all love her deeply.
Yet, we all know, that we have to give her a wide path of allowance.

I had tried in vain to try and find someone that is a little like her, that I might then have had a relationship with. No such luck. They are apparently very rare and very elusive. An empath to nature, is indeed someone very special.

Most people cannot be Empathetic to anyone or anything. Most have agenda's and are not their real selves. They hide behind fake facades, and are deceivers. Most cannot even be honest with themselves.

The opening post to this forum subject was very interesting. Something that many of us should give more thought towards. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just curious.

When we take a look at a list of attributes and use them as a label. This is just for comparison. I think aura were the big thing in the sixties. Anyway, this is a list of aura attributes for crystal. After reading the list, would you be inclined to think that now you are an empath-crystal? or maybe an empath-blue or whatever?

My point is that when we apply a label to characteristics, We take away the unique quality of the individual. We think, "Oh. an empath" and move on. When we use the label, we may be prone to assumptions. Seems apparent on this thread, that even after reading the starting post, that many people have differing ideas about what an empath is?

Crystal Aura

Delicate, extremely sensitive, reserved, serene, quiet, spiritual, enjoy spending time alone

Get along with everyone; they can take on the aura color of whomever they are with

When centered, they are natural, receptive conduits for pure, healing energy

When uncentered, they can easily feel befuddled, disoriented, and psychically overwhelmed by other people’s energy. They then feel the need to withdraw from life to replenish themselves

Uncentered, they tend to lack self-confidence and look for reassurance/approval from others

Enjoy gardening, being in nature, reading and/or other solitary activities

Like their immediate environment to be pretty, quiet, clean, orderly, and simple

Very quick thinkers and learners; extremely intuitive

Prefer to stay in the background (out of the limelight); not driven or ambitious

Love pondering the meaning of life; usually have a personal relationship with a Higher Power

In relationships can appear cold, aloof and frigid because they need so much time alone; they are very private

Conversely, they can have a calming, healing effect on their partner when centered

Like partners who are decisive and protective yet patient, allowing and unintimidating

Can remain single for a long time because of potential trauma of a strong emotional connection

As parents, Crystals have a low threshold for confusion, noise, disorder and are easily overwhelmed

Cautious, conscientious and responsible with money because it provides security

Famous Examples: Hildegaard Von Bingen and Louis Pasteur

source Aura Colors

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

That is a very good description...I think that is very true of how I am...and belive that comes..you learn to keep it hidden with experience and age I think.. become more of an observer!!

That way no one thinks your a bit wierd!!lol..and then you learn to blend in!!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Aye!! you have to be very wary these days!!..I find nowerdays there are some bloody odd peple about!!...I know on this site!!..there are some!!..

Never get sucked in by what you want to believe!!..and always..be wary!!lol..but always be positive!!lol

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Abernathy

Interesting hypothesis. I liked the joke at the end of the Harvard paper.

I also have an empirical side. Analyze things, put into categories, left-brain analytics.

What i noticed in engineering school, was that few engineers could write or be creative.
I attribute this to most scientist, mathematicians and the like. They operate primary in the left hemisphere; however, the creative and feeling people operate more in right brain modalities.

From a personal perspective, I have noticed that when i feel strong emotion, particularly love, my creativity skyrockets. This could validate the article in that my brain has become flooded with endorphin.

I feel that enhanced awareness comes from being here now; or, what's going on in the right hemisphere. Science has a hard time going there, from a left-brain analytic perspective. The very act of using left brain is what silences right brain. It's like when you wake from a dream. You start analyzing, and instantly forget the dream.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

Yeah, I should be wary but I should also trust in people that I automatically have a good vibe with. My instincts are seldom wrong. It seems if I question myself, I make errors but if I go with my gut, I'm right on point. Ugh! I wasn't in a good place today and I fear I took something wayyyyyyy out of context.

Over emotional, yes indeed.........but my intentions are usually good. I'm sure that is the case with many of us.....imperfect creatures we human folk

edit to add: sorry to my friend, you know who you are
xo (BTW, as an empath you should know our tendency to overreact and get a bit foolish when we're feeling funkyyy.....lol)

[edit on 21-7-2009 by jackieps1975]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

I wonder how many of us were wild children, The thing that gets me is, we were generation X, brought up on pills, thrills and perception.
Now what are we? I look at the generation coming up and I know whatever we had as a collective, it never got past on.

It's true friend, very true. I haven't had the opportunity to pass it on to an offspring of my own but it's evident that those around us have not done it with theirs (in most cases). One of the reasons I haven't had children is that I harbor a distinct feeling that they wouldn't want to be here, in this world, right now.......is that weird??? Oh well if it is~~~

What I see around me (in the up and coming generation) is a blatant lack of respect for nature and personal achievement, as well as a profound deficiency in social skills and community. That combined with an inconceivable attachment to frivolous technologies is a bit more than frightening.

Now before I get slammed, let me say that I'm positive many people are raising their children/teens properly.....but that appears to be the exception and not the rule. Some of my closest loved ones are examples of this 'breakdown' of society and priority. I tirelessly try to educate them on what is truly important in this world. Bottom line is, until they experience the dark side for themselves, they simply will not get it.

This brings me back to the message by Badfuture (see, I've come full circle
). Clearly, we are a personality type to indulge, often times in questionable behavior.......but just look at the learning we spawn from it! I've had a hell of a life, not always pleasant to say the least... but I wouldn't change it. Our experiences, our excesses and our trials & tribulations are a monumental part of what makes us who we are. We are truly the wild children my friend

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
reply to post by ogbert

I wonder if that has anything to do with the apparent death of creativity in this country......all you have to do is turn the TV in to see where individual thought has gone

second that emotion!

I pretty much switched the tv off 2 years ago, but sometimes you just can't help but to watch. When i watch now, it's like the commercials just blare out at me reaking of greed.

man. I'm not gonna be happy without that spiffy sportscar and shades like that man. Whew!! Look at that Lobsterfest at Ded Lobster! Then, i watch where i need the antacids, since i been eatin all that fast food they keep advertising! Is it just me or is Burger King off their rocker now? oh yeah, and, if that erection lasts longer than 4 hours, don't call the doctor, we need you on our new dating site.

One of the things, since I stopped watching is that I am more aware of my time. The last 2 years seem like 4. Maybe it's cuz I just started learning that guitar? Becoming more aware of smaller slices of time and my space within it. don't know?

yeah, watch less tv and you can spend more time on ATS!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I'm also an empath. This is often highly inconvenient, because my own emotions can be overwhelmed by someone else's. Also, since the most intense emotions tend to be negative, my own mood often suffers. For every moment of jintense oy or triumph, there are dozens more of anger, fear, or sorrow.

But I can't read a person's past or future, nor do I ever "scan" a mind. It's nothing like that for me. I just *feel* along with the other person. It's almost as if some wall or shell that should exist, is missing for me. It can get pretty intense.

Crowds are very difficult for me. The vast range of conflicting emotions among everyone tends to be disorienting and upsetting. I generally need to get out of crowds quickly, or distract myself somehow (such as reading on public transportation to block out the chaos).

But I'm real good to talk to one-on-one, because the other person doesn't have to spend a whole lot of time explaining how they feel.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join