It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

I always thought those particular lyrics were about the guy in the audience who just liked the hardcore aspect of the music, the violence if you will. Someone who likes explosions, no matter what causes them...could be a bomb or even the abuse of another human being. I always figured those lyrics were about his extreme commercial success and he was trying to say that only a small percentage of the fans actually knew what was up. Guaranteed there are radical typse who find the beat to "smells like teen spirit"utterly intoxicating and would love nothing more than to be emersed in violence while this anthem played the loudspeaker of thier mind. Not giving a second thought to the fact that the music was the composers emotions about life manifest through music...anger breeds anger and hate breeds hate no matter what yer pissed at or why you hate something.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
i had a thought would anyone here agree that so called mind vampires would be considered empaths? people who regain energy by sucking other peoples, just when reading back what i wrote previously the thought came into my head, if you were all to think would anyone say they were, even if u didnt realize you do it?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyko45
reply to post by ogbert

I always thought those particular lyrics were about the guy in the audience who just liked the hardcore aspect of the music, the violence if you will. Someone who likes explosions, no matter what causes them...could be a bomb or even the abuse of another human being. I always figured those lyrics were about his extreme commercial success and he was trying to say that only a small percentage of the fans actually knew what was up. Guaranteed there are radical typse who find the beat to "smells like teen spirit"utterly intoxicating and would love nothing more than to be emersed in violence while this anthem played the loudspeaker of thier mind. Not giving a second thought to the fact that the music was the composers emotions about life manifest through music...anger breeds anger and hate breeds hate no matter what yer pissed at or why you hate something.

I agree with you here. We are not far off. From what I understand; Cobain hated having to play Teen Spirit at every gig, yet this song is the one that launched him to fame. That guy in the audience WAS the audience. The song was written about his best friend, who actually bought the infamous shotgun.

Can you imagine the release for him when he sang, " He don't know what it means"?

It may have been Sex Pistols that became disillusioned with punk. It kinda started out as a rebellion against teenage exploits and consumerism. Materialism if you will. Kids were making homemade clothes out of garbage bags and destroying tv sets! As, the momentum gained, it became fashionable and trendy and exploited. Can't find the reference, but one of those early guys came out and said that everyone missed the whole point and didn't listen to a single word.

I really like your analsis about the other parts. What do you think about "Lithium"?
As, far as maybe Cobain was an empath, not to get too far off topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

I have a friend who studied Karate for twenty years, before he could whip his teacher.
His teacher was ecstatic, telling the pupil for him to come that far and to actually pre-conceive his thoughts and motions in order to beat him, was the most rewarding thing to him as a teacher.

Some people we are meant to learn from.

I also knew a Con man who was very empathetic. One of the nicest most gracious people you would ever meet. This guy tried to take a lot of people for their money, but thankfully he was apprehended before doing too much damage. This guy was living in a delusion. He actually believed he was the person he represented himself to be, but it was all one huge lie.

Now on your thought and me. I must be honest. It took me a while to realize that maybe i was absorbing some energy from those i used to compete against or work for in my learning years. i have grown to dislike competition. I do not play chess anymore, because i do not like to win at that game any more. I'm not that good, but I can beat most of my friends. Over the years, i always leave on good terms and when i see these people, we can share a unique rapport.

Now, on the other hand i like teamwork; and, mostly i added or shared energy to a common cause where everyone was putting in 100% in order to get things done.

To me a vampire is someone who steals. This is what i meant when i felt like my novel was taken the wrong way by the few people i let read it. Not that it's that powerful, but one of them is thinking he ought to start a cult. Agenda for manipulation and controlling others. He knows me very well; and, i can't help but to think that he is emulating some of my words in his quest. oh well. I can't take on that much responsibility.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
I'm curious.
Am I the only "teenager" here in this thread?
For you guys that are with one foot in the grave already (jk
), did you realize all of this when you were a teenager? Or this realization only came much much later? Sometimes I think that I am extremely precocious.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

I'm 25 now, but I began to skip school in 3rd grade. I can't really verbalize what was going on with my thoughts and emotions at the time, but I know I felt overwhelmed, scrutinized, persecuted, judged, out-of-place in general.

I remember not being able to understand why other kids acted the way they did, not just to me (I can't remember any real "abuse"), but to their fellows in general. They seemed to have no concern for the feelings of others.

My truancy continued and in consequence I spent most of my adolescence in several group homes for 'delinquent' kids.

When I was released from 'placement' and went back to live with my parents... kinda funny story... it was my Junior year when I started back to public school.

I didn't really know what to say to anyone and people started asking me weird questions that I didn't know how to answer (like "so what do you think about America?")... as it turns out, over the first 3 days of school they had discussed me and come to the conclusion amongst themselves that I was a foreign exchange student!

In hindsight, I probably should have started speaking with a fake accent... but I dropped out instead.

(As I said earlier, I don't think I'm necessarily an 'empath', but I have horrible social anxiety.)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hey guys, I just can't stop lurking in this thread! It's almost like we all share so much of the same experiences. I'm surprised that with all the things I'm "into" I didn't come across empath info before but either way:

Since we are discovering ourselves to a certain point I just wanted to make another observation, and I know this sounds bad to a certain degree but it's honestly how I see things.

Anyways, I can call a lie in an instant, it's by voice so usually face to face or on the phone. I can't pinpoint what the exact truth is, at first anyway, but I can tell when something is off. On the opposite end of the spectrum I believe I can be the perfect liar, although because of my religion I usually never do that. I think it has something to do with me being able to mold myself to be whatever someone wants to think I am in their mind, the lying part. And for the picking out a lie, I can just 'feel' something is off and immediately I start paying more and more attention to the word usage (calmly, lol) and find little patters and piece together much of the truth. Nobody I've ever dated has liked me stopping them in a middle of a sentence and explaining my idea of their situation, whatever it may be, it has gotten me into trouble before but I'm glad that I can do that. It makes me feel better to know the truth, whatever it may be.

I don't know how you all feel about that but it's just one thing that I've always known about myself and I think it's related.

To the other people in the thread, I'm sorry if it sounds like some of us have an ego, but this is simple curiosity. A lot of us haven't heard about this before so we're going to be quoting our personal (good or bad) situations for everyone else to read. It's not trying to boast or be better, we're all people, but very curious, haha =).

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

the release..kinda like bilbos 111th birthday party...SURPRISE!!!! As far as "lithium" goes..I listened a few times but not enough to critically analyze.

I have never been a huge fan of the whole depression scene. Easy acsess to anything one wants is seldom a positive thing.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyko45
reply to post by ogbert

the release..kinda like bilbos 111th birthday party...SURPRISE!!!! As far as "lithium" goes..I listened a few times but not enough to critically analyze.

I have never been a huge fan of the whole depression scene. Easy acsess to anything one wants is seldom a positive thing.

From the song "Lithium"

The song is probably actually about Lithium making him happy and he loves it and now he isn't going to crack up. Could be a very ironic slap at the medical profession.

What i get out of it is a long shot, but here goes.

"I'm so happy. Cause today I found my friends.
They're in my head. "

Hmmm. His friends are in his head ?

"I'm so ugly. But that's ok.

'Cause so are you. We've broke our mirrors. "

You can block someone from reading you, it's called withdrawal.

Possibly, a relationship that has stopped reflecting better qualities? A mirror that has broken. They have become mutually withdrawn.

"Sunday morning. Is everyday for all I care.
And I'm not scared. Light my candles. In a daze cause I've found god.

He's really gonna commit to the relationship; and, he's not being hypocritical about it. Sort of like the Beatles, "Eight days a week" God is symbolic for love.

"I like it. I'm not gonna crack.
I miss you. I'm not gonna crack. I love you.
I'm not gonna crack. I kill you. I'm not gonna crack."

He is the mirror and he is not going to crack. Look into the mirror and see the same thing (yourself), both of them are ugly. What you see in your partner, you see in yourself. He doesn't like what he sees.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of people with anxiety on this thread.
For me becoming less social has nothing to do with fear, its just that I get exhausted by people.
The older I get the more I can't be bothered with the banality of making small talk, chiefly because within a few conversations I've normally worked the person out.
You could think that my last paragraph was pure ego but I've met a wide range of people and very rarely do I come across true individuals, genuine free thinkers, people who have something new to say. I guess its like what jakieps1975 said "sometimes its like I've been here before" that rings so true for me.

That's why I do things like trolling sometimes in ATS lol, its out of sheer boredom.
Don't get me wrong, in real life I treat people with nothing but respect and love But In the interests of giving some personal experience to the thread, recently online in various sites, I've become weirdly addicted to the negative energy I can garner when I go trolling, ronishia I would love to hear your take on this.
I think I do it to try and balance the positive by attracting some negative like a yin/yang effect...
Surely this is a harmless way to balance out the energy. Because you only get a battle when both parties are up for it so its not like the other person is innocent.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

"Sunday morning. Is everyday for all I care.
And I'm not scared. Light my candles. In a daze cause I've found god.

Sounds like heroin to me...I dont know may be a stretch. SMack being his new God..haha God smack. I made a funny.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Wow amazing thread

I am an empath, and i must say i love what i am reading here. I am 21 now, and found a few ways to cope, and have been working on developing my skill. I am a cop, and my co workers are starting to notice this about me, it makes me laugh. They see how people react with me, and can't understand why there has never been a problem when i am on shift in the 2 years i have been here. Sadly though i only work night shift, i can't stand being up and about during the day, one down side of all this, to many people around me, the night is just so peaceful... ya know?

And work does wipe me out since i deal with people in what is probably one of the worst moments in their lives, talk about negative energy, but i always leave them with a smile on their face... i have even been told by people as i drop em off at jail that i am the coolest cop ever lol. But i deal with being wiped out in self destructive ways, massive ammounts of caffine and smoking, so i double crash when i get home, once from cafine and one just from lack of energy... so if anyone has a better way to refresh im all ears

One other thing i have a question about though, has anyone found how to just shut this down for a while, i really really need a break form being bombarded all the time, i don't have the time to go out in the woods like i used to, recently listening to techno trances with low bass rythems has helped... anyone else here really just feel music when you hear it, like feel it vibrate through your whole body?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I just took the test too, and i am a 9

Well more stuff to research
i will be back...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by voudew
Wow amazing thread

I am an empath, and i must say i love what i am reading here. I am 21 now, and found a few ways to cope, and have been working on developing my skill. I am a cop, and my co workers are starting to notice this about me, it makes me laugh. They see how people react with me, and can't understand why there has never been a problem when i am on shift in the 2 years i have been here. Sadly though i only work night shift, i can't stand being up and about during the day, one down side of all this, to many people around me, the night is just so peaceful... ya know?

And work does wipe me out since i deal with people in what is probably one of the worst moments in their lives, talk about negative energy, but i always leave them with a smile on their face... i have even been told by people as i drop em off at jail that i am the coolest cop ever lol. But i deal with being wiped out in self destructive ways, massive ammounts of caffine and smoking, so i double crash when i get home, once from cafine and one just from lack of energy... so if anyone has a better way to refresh im all ears

One other thing i have a question about though, has anyone found how to just shut this down for a while, i really really need a break form being bombarded all the time, i don't have the time to go out in the woods like i used to, recently listening to techno trances with low bass rythems has helped... anyone else here really just feel music when you hear it, like feel it vibrate through your whole body?

Hey,

Great to see we have a man in blue with your kind of attitude. Many empaths are attracted to social work.

At least you get to work outdoors. Night time is great . I was quite nocturnal when i was a college student.

Seems we have some visuals in here. I am an auditory type. I have an auditory imagination and i can amplify music in my head, even though nothin is playin physically. Also, i get celestial music. Don't know where it comes from, but i can escape there at times.

I have one of those churning brains. I had to learn some meditation techniques to learn to sleep; otherwise, i would be gellin all night!

So, what i am saying is you can block stimuli by taking all that energy and directing it towards your inner self. Reality check! Where are you at this exact moment? Be here now kinda. When people are amplifying their problems and directing them at me, i have to realize it is THEIR problem and not mine. I bet you get a lot of this. With me, at times i can become so focused on some else's situation that i forget about me, so , i have to get back to self.

I can see you saying, "Why are you making this difficult for me. I am here to help you, not to hurt you. But you know what? you are the boss, you are gonna make me do my job and you know what that means. So you decide. What's it gonna be?"

I like to try and make words from what i hear; of course this requires a bit of solitude. If i were you, during the times that you have to stay focused at hand; anticipate the free time you have hopefully when you are driving your cruiser or patrolling.

also, earlier in the thread there is a lot of advice and links on dampening the vibes. Whatever works for you!

can't resist throwing this in.

Don't they make donut shops, to rejuvenate cops?

good luck to ya and be safe

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by voudew

One word man, DECAF! it changed my life lol.
You'll feel really tired for 2 or so weeks after you stop caffine but after that you sleep like a log and wake up refreshed.
Also drink plenty of water you can feel tired if you're dehydrated.
A cop I see, its a shame you guys get some bad press on here from the more naive atsers.
Welcome aboard, can I switch on the flashing lights and sound the siren? Whoop Whoop lol.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
dont know if off topic but i love my immortal my evanescence her voice just carries me away, the lyrics just lull me no doubt

I'm so tired of being here, suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave
Your presence still lingers here and it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now, I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

But you still have all of me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me, I've been alone all along

But you still have all of me, me, me

i dont know why this song has such a hold over me, it just sends me into a daze everytime i hear it

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

hey, i really love this thread. I hope i am not hogging it. i work outdoors and the weather has been a little nasty up here in Western Kentucky, so iv'e got a lot of free time.
well, anyway i write and sometimes the words flow. I feel like i could add 150 pages to this thread. However, i do not want to come across as officious. My experiences are subjective and may not apply to the ideals of others.

I would like to hear from others how they actually relate. What is going on in your life that involves empathetic traits? How are you using empathy? I learned a few techniques to get others to talk when i was in my twenties that literally changed my life. I tried to stop talking so much and use my ears much more than my mouth. I developed a very private side; and, this thread is helping me to open up a little.

First of all friend, you are absolutely not hogging this thread!!! This thread is for everyone! I had to take the weekend off (of internet shenanigans) to enjoy some nature; so I'm thrilled to see that this thread has been going along so wonderfully.

For me, I prefer to be around animals. I love my dogs like children. I used to be very social but now it's too much of an effort. Most of the time, I feel that having "extra" people in my life is simply a hinderance. My loved ones rely on me a great deal and that is about all I have the energy for. I do love to be around my family and very close friends but that's it. I cannot stand when I run into people in public and have to make small talk. It just seems so fake and a complete waste of time. Things like that just make me cringe.

In fact the only time I really enjoy talking to 'random' people is if they are like-minded individuals. It's not that I'm closed minded, I just have little tolerance for B/S and I choose not to involve myself in it at all. Unfortunately, people always want to talk to me for some reason. I mentioned earlier in the thread that we must give off a special scent or something.....lol. In reality, I think it's just that other people pick up our vibe and become attracted.

My concious (& subconcious) mind is often in distress. I worry about what goes on in the world and the behaviors of the masses in general. I think the majority of the population is perpetuating our demise as a race. Most people are very far from nature and that disturbs me a great deal. I have a tendency to become fixated on disasters and cataclysmic scenarios. I went through a terrible 2012 phase where it almost became obsessive. I have to check myself often because I become very wrapped up in "theories" and wanting to research everything to find the truth. An impossible task in most cases.

Basically, I think many of us with the empath traits are heavy duty thinkers and it's a burden at times. IMO, sometimes self destructive despite our 'knowing better'.
(just my .02 on this lovely Monday morning
)

edit to add:
I did some more reading and decided to throw some more in here.

Well it seems that there are many writers among us. That is no suprise. I'm a published poet (unknown naturally....lol). I make jewelry and I used to paint. Clearly many of us are artistically inclined. It's a very powerful outlet. Most of my writing is deeply personal and often times existential and usually way too intense for the masses.

I saw some of you talking about music.....that is another passion of mine but certainly not one of my talents, unfortunately
I listen to mostly metal, lot's of classic rock and some alternative. Music is another amazing coping mechanism for me. The harder the music, the more it calms me down at times...... yes, I can be a bit of a paradox! I'm also sure I'm not alone in that.....lol

[edit on 20-7-2009 by jackieps1975]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
damn! It's hard to keep up with everything but i'll be back!!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm having difficulty keeping up also......lol. Primarily because I didn't come on at all over the weekend. I'm reading a little here and there in between my client work.....(naughty naughty!).

Does anyone have a direct link to the enneagram test? I took one the other day but I'm not sure it's the same as what everyone else took. I came up a 2 (The helper). I want to re-take it if I did indeed use a different test.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
One thing i would recommend to you is not to give too much of yourself because it physically drains all of your energy & love until you have none left... especially when you don't get anything back!

Believe me it comes with experience......

[edit on 20-7-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975

I did some more reading and decided to throw some more in here.

Well it seems that there are many writers among us. That is no suprise. I'm a published poet (unknown naturally....lol). I make jewelry and I used to paint. Clearly many of us are artistically inclined. It's a very powerful outlet. Most of my writing is deeply personal and often times existential and usually way too intense for the masses.

I got sort of a congratulatory letter from U of Carolina at Chapel Hill for a short story submission. It was about escaping the status quo. They said all I had to do was change this and that.

Ha! I wrote em back and asked why authors always have to be edited? I told them that I bet they would be the type to tell Van Gogh how to do his brushstrokes. Anyway, it was an honor and boosted my confidence, but it would have entirely ruined my story and i wasn't gonna put my name on the now "their story".

hopeless rebel!

Wasn't going to post this, but a synchro came my way. I was reading something in the news. When i checked out the author, he was faculty at Chapel Hill.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join