It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am not a fan of labels but I find that empathy & hyper-sensitivity are of a very tangible nature. I consider myself to be an empath and I know there are many other ATSers who are the same.

It seems that many empathic individuals have precise perceptions about the condition of the world and what's to come in recent years. Please review the information and share your thoughts / experiences.

Empathy is the ability to read and understand people and be in-tune with or resonate with others, voluntarily or involuntarily of one's empath capacity.

Empaths have the ability to scan another's psyche for thoughts and feelings or for past, present, and future life occurrences. Many empaths are unaware of how this actually works, and have long accepted that they were sensitive to others.
Empaths Sense Deep Emotions
Empathy is a feeling of another's true emotions to a point where an empath can relate to that person by sensing true feelings that run deeper than those portrayed on the surface. People commonly put on a show of expression. This is a learned trait of hiding authentic expression in an increasingly demanding society.

An empath can sense the truth behind the cover and will act compassionately to help that person express him/herself, thus making them feel at ease and not so desperately alone.

Empaths experience empathy towards family, children, friends, close associates, complete strangers, pets, plants and inanimate objects. Empathy is not held by time or space. Thus, an empath can feel the emotions of people and things at a distance. Some are empathic towards animals (ie: The Horse Whisperer), to nature, to the planetary system, to mechanical devices or to buildings etc. Others will have a combination of the above.
Empaths Have Deep Sense of Knowing
Empaths are highly sensitive. This is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another's emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of knowing that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others.

There are also varying levels of strength in empaths which may be related to the individualís awareness of self, understanding of the powers of empathy, and/or the acceptance or non-acceptance of empathy by those associated with them, including family and peers. Generally, those who are empathic grow up with these tendencies and do not learn about them until later in life.
Empathy is Inherited
Empathy is genetic, inherent in our DNA, and passed from generation to generation. It is studied both by traditional science and alternative healing practitioners.

Empathy has both biological/genetic and spiritual aspects.

Empaths often possess the ability to sense others on many different levels. From their position in observing what another is saying, feeling and thinking, they come to understand another. They can become very proficient at reading another personís body language and/or study intently the eye movements. While this in itself is not empathy, it is a side-shoot that comes from being observant of others. In a sense, empaths have a complete communication package.
How Empathy Works
While there is much we don't yet understand about how empathy works, we do have some information. Everything has an energetic vibration or frequency and an empath is able to sense these vibrations and recognize even the subtlest changes undetectable to the naked eye or the five senses.

Words of expression hold an energetic pattern that originates from the speaker. They have a specific meaning particular to the speaker. Behind that expression is a power or force-field, better known as energy. For example, hate often brings about an intense feeling that immediately accompanies the word. The word hate becomes strengthened with the speaker's feeling. It is that person's feelings (energy) that are picked up by empaths, whether the words are spoken, thought or just felt without verbal or bodily expression.

Empaths are often poets in motion. They are the born writers, singers, and artists with a high degree of creativity and imagination. They are known for many talents as their interests are varied, broad and continual, loving, loyal and humorous. They often have interests in many cultures and view them with a broad-minded perspective. They are mother, father, child, friend, nurse, caregiver, teacher, doctor, sales people... to psychic, clairvoyant, healer, etc. (That is not to say that any of these categories are all empaths.) The list is extensive and really unimportant. It is more important to notice that empaths are everywhere--in every culture and throughout the world.
Empaths Are Good Listeners
Empaths are often very affectionate in personality and expression, great listeners and counselors (and not just in the professional area). They will find themselves helping others and often putting their own needs aside to do so. In the same breath, they can be much the opposite. They may be quiet, withdrawn from the outside world, loners, depressed, neurotic, life's daydreamers, or even narcissistic.

They are most often passionate towards nature and respect its bountiful beauty. One will often find empaths enjoying the outdoors, beaches, walking, etc. Empaths may find themselves continually drawn to nature as a form of release. It is the opportune place to recapture their senses and gain a sense of peace in the hectic lives they may live. The time to get away from it all and unwind with nature becomes essential to the empath. Animals are often dear to the heart of empaths, not as a power object, but as a natural love. It is not uncommon for empaths to have more than one pet in their homes.

Traits of an Empath
Empaths are often quiet and can take a while to handle a compliment for they're more inclined to point out another's positive attributes. They are highly expressive in all areas of emotional connection, and talk openly, and, at times, quite frankly in respect to themselves. They may have few problems talking about their feelings.

However, they can be the exact opposite: reclusive and apparently unresponsive at the best of times. They may even appear ignorant. Some are very good at blocking out others and that's not always a bad thing, at least for the learning empath struggling with a barrage of emotions from others, as well as their own feelings.

Empaths have a tendency to openly feel what is outside of them more so than what is inside of them. This can cause empaths to ignore their own needs. In general an empath is non-violent, non-aggressive and leans more towards being the peacemaker. Any area filled with disharmony creates an uncomfortable feeling in an empath. If they find themselves in the middle of a confrontation, they will endeavor to settle the situation as quickly as possible, if not avoid it all together. If any harsh words are expressed in defending themselves, they will likely resent their lack of self-control, and have a preference to peacefully resolve the problem quickly.

Empaths are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring an empath easily to tears. At times, they may feel physically ill or choke back the tears. Some empaths will struggle to comprehend any such cruelty, and will have grave difficulty in expressing themselves in the face of another's ignorance, closed-mindedness and obvious lack of compassion. They simply cannot justify the suffering they feel and see.

cont'd below

[edit on 16-7-2009 by jackieps1975]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

People of all walks of life and animals are attracted to the warmth and genuine compassion of empaths. Regardless of whether others are aware of one being empathic, people are drawn to them as a metal object is to a magnet! They are like beacons of light.

Even complete strangers find it easy to talk to empaths about the most personal things, and before they know it, they have poured out their hearts and souls without intending to do so consciously. It is as though on a sub-conscious level that person knows instinctively that empaths would listen with compassionate understanding.

Here are the listeners of life. Empaths are often problem solvers, thinkers, and studiers of many things. As far as empaths are concerned, where a problem is, so too is the answer. They often will search until they find one--if only for peace of mind.

Written by Christel Broederlow Copyright (c) 2002 Christel Broederlow Shortened Version from The Empath Report 101

source link: healing.about.com...

[edit on 16-7-2009 by jackieps1975]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I am also an empath. I really hate being in crowds because they are overwelming to me. To much at once, y'know? And it also seems like I feel all of the bad things in the world, cuz I'm always hungry, sad, and a bit angry all of the time. And I can also guess a persons personallity at first glance correctly about 95% of the time.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Cool thread! I'm definitely an empath and its nice to know more about myself.

I'm still learning how to deal with my empathy, which is quite strong. I have become really anti-social lately as a way to preserve my stability.

Many times I have felt "possessed" suddenly, usually in places with lots of people around. And this "possession" not only changes my mood but changes my entire posture. It's really uncomfortable, sometimes turning into pain.

I have been labeled a couple of times as "arrogant" because I feel what is truly happening with other people when they are completely unaware of themselves or even negating their real condition. And all I want is to help and have a peaceful environment with stable energies.

What I have discovered is that WATER is incredibly useful as an energy cleansing device. Whenever I feel that I am overloaded with energy that is not originally mine I drink a lot of water and rub myself a lot in the shower. It works wonders. Also, whenever I dive in the ocean or go surfing I feel more alive then ever!

I will be following this thread in hope of some more good info!

S&F

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

i know what you mean, i discovered i was an empath when i was young and as the years have went by i have withdrew more and more from overcrowded places and being around a lot of people because after a while i just couldn't take it anymore, it hurt.

i havnt been able to share myself , my thoughts with anyone accept my mother and granddad as they themselves had their own gifts and understood my frustrations and pain. Thank you OP
perhaps more people shall have a better understanding about both the good and the bads of being an empath and perhaps some people shall not judge to harshly

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

I love water! To drink, to swim in, to look at....you name it. It's one of the very few things that truly brings a sense of calm to me. I wonder if that is common among us. I had never really thought of that!

I noticed almost everyone mentioned being anti-social! No suprise there right! Dealing with crowds is so difficult. Often times, people in general just sap all of my energy and spirit. The older I get the harder it becomes. I cannot even bare to be around someone in a bad mood. It almost sucks the life out of me. I'm extremely sensitive to negative energy. Though when a person is genuinely sad or in pain, it elicits a completely different response. I'm immediately in "nuturer" mode. As if I crawled inside of them and found what they need to get better. It's pretty bizarre to people that don't understand!

One of the ways I've always described being empathic is as it being like walking around with a big antennae on my head. I'm sure you can all relate to that. The ability to know the nature of a person or situation almost instantaneously. Alot of times it is mistaken for intuition but it runs so much deeper than that. We actually feel these things.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

i dont like to swim but i love to sit and watch the water, it does bring a calmness that preceded anything else.

one downside i have at the moment is that i have children and i am constantly drained all the time now, they often sit and wonder why i know when they are lying to me etc.

one thing i do to calm my mind (when its a nice day) is to go to my local forest area, lay on my back and watch the tops of the trees swaying, it gives out a hum not one that you can hear but you can feel it deep down, this helps to relax my mind and cle
clear it out so to speak.

also another way i have found for relaxion is the use of oils such as lavender i have found this to be very calming for me atleast

[edit on 123131p://570712 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
That is the best description of an Empath I have read..

But Empaths are not all good though..,,because behind the empath there is also an ego!!

And having a gift with something like that can be abused..

Like Adolf Hitler..I reckon he was an empath....he was creative, loved his dogs could manipulate people..and he was a bit nasty!!

I think its something that some can do...not read minds but sense emotions!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

you are right there not all empaths are good and have become master manipulators because of their gifts but on the same flip side not all psychics are good, or illusionists, or humans for that matter.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Interesting. I will try the oil thing. Do you think some oils are better then others specifically? Or do you think its something more subjective? Should I juts pick something that I like the smell a lot?

Also, the thing with the trees, I do that with the sky. And I get exactly the same feeling that you described. A deep hum that starts to resonate with you from within. I love the sky and the ocean. The ocean seems to be more powerful, but the sky is always present.

The sky attracts me no matter what conditions it is in. Most people don't like grayish days. I do, as much as any other day. Also, I am VERY attracted to storms. When I lived in Brazil we had some intense tropical storms. When those happened I always went to the porch with a chair and a blanket to enjoy the spectacle. After it was done I always felt fully recharged.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

well different oils are said to have different effects on some one for example lavender is used for calming.

just some of the effects some oils have are:

Basil is used in perfumery for its clear, sweet and mildly spicy aroma. In aromatherapy, it is used for sharpening concentration, for its uplifting effect on depression, and to relieve headaches and migraines. Basil oil has many chemotypes and some are known to be emmenagogues and should be avoided during pregnancy.

Bergamot is one of the most popular oils in perfumery. It is an excellent insect repellent and may be helpful for both the urinary tract and for the digestive tract. It is useful for skin conditions linked to stress, such as cold sores and chicken pox, especially when combined with eucalyptus oil. Bergamot is a flavoring agent in Earl Grey tea. Cold-pressed Bergamot oil contains bergaptene, a strong photosensitizer when applied to the skin, so only distilled or 'bergaptene-free' types can be topically used.

Clove oil is a topical analgesic, especially useful in dentistry. It is also used an antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, and antiemetic.

Eucalyptus oil is often used in combination with peppermint to provide relief for the airways in case of cold or flu.

Geranium oil is used as an astringent, antiseptic and diuretic.

Jasmine is used as an aphrodisiac.

Lavender oil is used as an antiseptic, to soothe minor cuts and burns, to calm and relax, for insomnia and to soothe headaches and migraines.

Lemon oil is uplifting and anti-stress/anti-depressant. In a Japanese study, lemon essential oil in vapour form has been found to reduce stress in mice.

Lemon oil - Researchers at Ohio State University reveals that Lemon oil aroma may enhance one's mood, and help with relaxation.

Rose is used as an aphrodisiac.

Sandalwood oil is used as an aphrodisiac.

Tea tree oil and many other essential oils have topical (external) antimicrobial (i.e. antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, or antiparasitic) activity and are used as antiseptics, disinfectants, and in mouthrinses.

Yarrow oil is used to reduce joint inflammation and relieve cold and influenza symptoms
Ylang-ylang oil is used as an aphrodisiac.

thats just some of the different oils you can use that help with many things.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Ronishia, it's interesting that you mention oils. In my spare time I do alot with EO's and herbs. It's my lifes' work really, what I love to do. Making remedies and all sorts of goodies. I find working with these natural compounds to be very soothing and incredibly beneficial. If you click on my profile, you will see that I have some threads about all that.....

I think it was shuck that mentioned empaths having ego issues..... lol. The only ego issue I have ever had is maybe feeling that I am smarter than the average bear.....and who hasn't had those moments!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
My advice to any Empaths is learn, develop coping mechanisms!!

If you don't develop them..then as you grow older and experience this life on this level..you will have a hard time!!

Because if you have it you cannot select how you will feel or sense..you sense it and you can get saturated...and that can be a real pain in the anoos!!lol

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

This is so exciting to me, I've never spoke to fellow empaths.
How do you all deal with the negative sides of it? the older I get the more exhausted I become.
I am becoming increasingly more consumed with hate and anger at how petty the human race is.
Any tips on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.
This is thrilling.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am an empath. I spend most of my time alone, and I can sense when people are not being honest. I freak out in large crowds, took me awhile to figure out why. I cant stand when people are mad or fighting, either with me or someone else and I tend to avoid those situations. I have been told by quite a few people that im very easy to talk to also, but that depends I can be very cryptic also,and most would think im crazy. I do tend to manipulate unintentionally and when I feel like I am I let the person know im not tryin to tell them what to do, just suggesting...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Chamomile is another great one for relaxation and stress relief. For what purposes would you be using it? Each essential oil has it's own set of properties.

There are also tricks.....For example, if you mix lavender and chamomile oils they have a synergistic reaction in which they intensify the properties of eachother, creating a much more effective remedy. This is particularly beneficial for relaxation purposes and even anxiety.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. You can u2u me if you like
. I have been working with essential oils, herbs & plant extracts for a very long time. I used to have a side business specializing in natural remedies and holistic skin care.....but with the economy being crap, I had to go back to accounting. I'm still a mad scientist though....lol.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

Learn to be indifferent...be selective ... only use it where its needed!!because you have to be realistic in the fact there is only so much you can do!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

Could you elaborate more on those mechanisms?

@thread: I wonder if empaths have the same personality type.
Are you guys familiar with the enneagram? If you are, what number are you?
If not, it would be interesting to see if we are all the same or not.
Check it out on google, they have free online tests!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bad Future

This is so exciting to me, I've never spoke to fellow empaths.
How do you all deal with the negative sides of it? the older I get the more exhausted I become.
I am becoming increasingly more consumed with hate and anger at how petty the human race is.
Any tips on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.
This is thrilling.

I feel ya. I deal with it by isolation I know that's not a good thing, so I do get out when I need to and hang out with the very few friends I have and trust, or i go to my very special place. Its a peaceful wooded area surrounding a small lake, nobody around for miles and all you hear are the birds and the occasional jet. Its so quite out there you can actually hear yourself think its amazing and beautiful...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

i hear ya hun i have been there many times myself, many empaths have their own way of coping with their gifts, one thing is to learn to control it to an extent this comes with patients and practice. unfortunately with most empaths there is no off switch to it all but you can learn to phase out the noise by using calming techniques and such as i said though each person has their own way. i know a fellow empath who decided to try out yoga exercises and they have said it has helped them become more focused and calm.

a good site that has helped me is www.askgrace.com...

they give out a lot of good advice amongst other things on how to deal with your abilities

one thing to always remember though is that you are never alone, and there are others out there that are experiencing exactly what you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join