It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6000 year old megalithic complex of Meath County Ireland

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Awesome post
I must admit I don't think I've ever heard of this, but this will give me an opportunity to explore this and see what it's all about.

So thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
the double spirals on the rocks have always been seen as a mystery but, to me, they look incredibly similar to the solar burns created by charles ross. if they aren't a solar record or representation, i'll eat my hat.

To create Sunlight Convergence/Solar Burn (1971-72), Ross burned the daily movement of the sun onto planks of wood by concentrating sunlight through a magnifying lens -- he collected these solar burns each day for one year. *snip* Ross also discovered that when laid end to end, the solar burns trace a double spiral.
source

there is another site nearby that might be related to the newgrange complex called Tara, it has a fairly rich history that might be interesting to some. both sites are associated with the tuatha de danann. they were a race of people that reigned in ireland before the gaels and were very...godlike. they're an interesting group for those that like early visitation stories.

[edit on 21/7/09 by pieman]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Good post, I would like to repeat that experiment of creating a wood burning using sunlight through a magnifying glass.

Tuatha Dé Danann, good mention, here is another link about them.

www.timelessmyths.com...

The Tuatha Dé Danann ("People of the Goddess Danu") were one of the mythical races who settled in Ireland before the arrival of the Milesians, the ancestors of modern Gaels. The Dananns were descendants of the goddess Danu. Her son Dagda was their most powerful leader of the Dananns.

After the Milesians defeated the Dananns, the Dananns either retreated to Tir na n-Og ("Land of Youth") or they continued to lived on the land with the Milesians, but their homes (subterranean palaces) were hidden by magic from the eyes of mortals. Their homes were commonly called Sidhe (síd or sídh) or the Otherworld. Another name for the Tuatha Dé Danann was the áes sídhe or the "People of the Sídhe".

I find British Island mythology to be the richest mythology I have ever read. Their stories are always filled with people with magical powers who incredibly imaginative things like animating trees so they can fight in battles. Other mythologies always concentrate on the feats of the gods, or God, and mainly describe physical feats of strength and speed or sacrifice, while the British tales always have these strange events going on.

It is such a shame that the Catholic Church succeeded in wiping out almost all of European history, not to mention a great deal of the science they had developed. The promise of an afterlife is very powerful.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

well now, in all fairness to the catholic church, the irish mythological cycles were all written down by monks in the first place.
actually, a lot of the mythologies were incorporated into the church, in ireland at least.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

well i can tell you why its off its because the positions of the stars and sun etc has changed because of the amount of time the one on the stone is made than in their time period with the positions of the stars etc in a different position.

the circles or spirals look familiar, looks like the zero time wave spiral or time spiral

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about the calendar idea. Why have such a complex and big site for finding out when the seasons are. With two posts I can accurately mark out a year, in only a year (Uriel's Machine). Why spend hundreds of years to create huge stone monuments as a calendar and then abandon it? While calendars are important for agriculture and astronomy why dot them all over the landscape of Ireland, Britain and France? I don't think the astronomical alignment was accidental, and I don't buy the calendar idea.

Enoch's description does sound like he saw newgrange and it also sounds like he went inside an electric generator.

Originally posted by Gamma MO
Is this the comparison you mean in the Book of Enoch? Interesting.

And I went in till I drew nigh to a wall which is built of crystals and surrounded by tongues of fire: and it began to affright me. And I went into the tongues of fire and drew nigh to a large house which was built of crystals: and the walls of the house were like a tesselated floor (made) of crystals, and its groundwork was of crystal. Its ceiling was like the path of the stars and the lightnings, and between them were fiery cherubim, and their heaven was (clear as) water. A flaming fire surrounded the walls, and its portals blazed with fire. And I entered into that house, and it was hot as fire and cold as ice: there were no delights of life therein: fear covered me, and trembling gat hold upon me. And as I quaked and trembled, I fell upon my face. And I beheld a vision, And lo! there was a second house, greater than the former, and the entire portal stood open before me, and it was built of flames of fire. And in every respect it so excelled in splendour and magnificence and extent that I cannot describe to you its splendour and its extent. And its floor was of fire, and above it were lightnings and the path of the stars, and its ceiling also was flaming fire. And I looked and saw therein a lofty throne: its appearance was as crystal, and the wheels thereof as the shining sun, and there was the vision of cherubim

Feeling simultaneously hot and cold is a symptom of experiencing high doses of microwave or electric energy. The fact that there are "no delights of life" within says to me that it was a machine or power source, not for ceremonies. He says the "path of the stars" was above the floor but below the ceiling and was intermingled with lightning. This doesn't fit with the descriptions of the sun (or venus) entering the chamber at Newgrange but does sound like the inside of a power plant or some sort of advanced circuitry. Look at the properties of the rocks selected for megalithic sites, they are all high in quartz and many of the rocks are not found anywhere near the area where they were erected. They must have needed the high quartz content for something.

I've heard about ley lines corresponding with megalithic sites as well as crop circles but I don't really know what ley lines are...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by brodyism

Well the thing is that it probably didn't take hundreds of years to build this. And the peoples who built it most likely did use it for many hundreds of years.

But to be more direct. Think about cathedrals and their place in the social fabric of Europe in the past.

Every culture is motivated to erect structures which represent their most loftiest beliefs.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What about today? What are those lofty structures that are projecting our beliefs? Our largest and most valuable structures that we have built have a purpose that is not esoteric.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by brodyism
What about today? What are those lofty structures that are projecting our beliefs? Our largest and most valuable structures that we have built have a purpose that is not esoteric.

They are called sky scrapers....

That's why they were targeted in 911.

I forget who said it, but someone once said "Show me buildings that people build and I will tell you what is the most important thing to them at that time"

I'm paraphrasing horribly, but you get the point...

It's not about being esoteric... it's about what people feel are the most important to them at the time...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Think about what it would be like to have one of the people that helped build Newgrange time-warped into our present. To him/her, the skyscraper would be a most impressive/ethereal sight to behold, not even including the technology within. I could definitely see how the skyscraper could be considered the modern "monument..."
Personally, I think Newgrange is more impressive though!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hi everyone - i just got back from the Bru Na Boinne complex today. I found out a couple of interesting facts about the place. First of all there are actually three of these large burial chambers on the site as well as numerous others of smaller stature. They are called Newgrange (which is the most famous), Knowth and Dowth. All three are alligned in the same mannor as Newgrange. A very interesting fact is that the south passage tomb of the dowth is aligned with the setting sun of the winter solice. So if you were lucky enough to witness such an event on the morning of the solice you could stand in Newgrange to witness the beam of sun come through the "letterbox" and light up the center chamber then as the sun is setting witness it in the Dowth. Some of the pictures that we have seen are not actualy from newgrange but from the kerbstones from knowth. During excavations of this site (which ic the largest) a lot of human remains were found- all of which were buried in the fetal position and two sketatal remains of men who had been beheaded. The rock work from the outside of newgrange is all original( all pieces were restored back into position as best as possible). On the outside wall there are two types of stone. quartz that came from the wicklow mountains and sea rolled granite that came from the shore. The guide told us today that during the restoration it was unsure where these granite stones (almost circular or egg in shape) where originally places so they were put in the wall just kinda spread out. He then went on to say that it is of their belief that the stones might have been placed in the same disign as some of the spirals of other designs seen. I pictured it and if you were to imagine how that would look it would be incredible. The dark swirrling spiral design of the black granite rocks jutting out from the sparkling white of the quarts- what an image to behold!!The large kerbstones also came from wicklow mountains some 80 km away. It was there estimation that it would take 80 men to move one of these stones 3 days to move it 1 km. Think of the effort to get these large pieces of rock to the site over rolling hills and mountains and thick dense forest.

Just reading a few other points. After reading some of the other posts above I have to point out that this was created by the Irish settlers of the time, this was before the Celts arrived in Ireland. Also The Tuatha Dé Danann were a race of people who exsisted in Ireland only as Folklore so sorry Poet1B although i would love their stories and others in Irish folkfore to be true. As for the British isles its in Ireland. This site was created even before the wheel was invented which I thought was fantastic and it gives me great pride to call myself Irish and to know that my ancestors created it.

Also to brodyism- I dont know if this info is relevant but inside the actual chamber on some of the stones over the burial chambers there are a lot of carvings similar to the ones shown in earlier posts- this might be the map of the stars that you were referring too. Ok guys i got lots of pics and some good info so if there are any questions or whatever feel free to ask and ill try my best to help out. Sorry if any of the info above is wrong ive tried to take a lot of info in today.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by brodyism

I've heard about ley lines corresponding with megalithic sites as well as crop circles but I don't really know what ley lines are...

not sure exactly what the ley lines are but I have heard them referred to as salt lines. Whether these are natural occuring veins of salt or whether they are man made I could not say.

Interestingly enough new grange , stonehendge, the vatican and giza are all aligned on the same ley line.

good post OP..

peace daz__

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnymccann
Also The Tuatha Dé Danann were a race of people who exsisted in Ireland only as Folklore so sorry Poet1B although i would love their stories and others in Irish folkfore to be true.

before the gaels were in ireland, there were a culturally different people. they built the passage tombs and they were the first to use tara. the stories passed to us from the gaels call these people the tuatha de danann.

is there a reason for you to say that they weren't here besides the widely held assumption that the stories are entirely untrue because they are fantastic in places?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yeah I'm going with the widely held assumption sorry. I wouldn't say that there is no fact at all in the stories as much as I would love to believe them !! The stories are no more real than those of Finn mc cool or chucallain or even the children of lir. Great stories that are entertaining but that's all they are - stories

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Then again, those tales could all be symbolic tales of fantastic adventure for entertainment, but with hidden meanings. This is how history was recorded in those days. I would say British mythology is the richest mythology in the world. Certainly far more imaginative than Genesis.

Here is a sight that claims the Irish are the originators of civilization.

www.irishoriginsofcivilization.com...

Judeo-Christianity, as we know it, is a creation of the Solar Cults of the ancient world. As an institution it is a construct of the Atonists, the renegade outcasts of Egypt’s eighteenth dynasty. After the termination of their dominion, the commanders of this powerful cult, seeking new empires, guided their people back to the place of beginning and subsequently set about erasing the archaic and sophisticated culture they found there. They overlaid their own corrupted traditions upon the more antique one that was soon forgotten. The story of this travesty exists within Irish and "Celtic" mythology. It has been concealed behind captivating drama-filled legends, some of which are still well known to Irish people and historians unaware of the hidden story that waits to be revealed.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It also reminds me of a birds eye view of a Mexican frying an egg!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
DISCOVERY OF THE ISLANDS IN THE OCEAN
(Cairn T, Loughcrew, Co. Meath, Ireland, c.3200 BC)

Dr. R.M. de Jonge ©, [email protected]
J.S. Wakefield ©, [email protected]

Summary
The petroglyphs on the endstone C8 of the passage grave of Cairn T in Loughcrew, Co. Meath, Ireland, dated c.3200 BC, tell the story of the discovery of the islands in the North Atlantic Ocean: Canary Islands c.5700 BC, Shetland Islands c.5500 BC, Cape Verde Islands c.4600 BC, Madeira c.4200 BC, Rockall c.4100 BC, Azores c.3600 BC, Faroes and Iceland c.3400 BC, Cape Holm (Greenland) c.3300 BC, and S and SW Capes of Greenland c.3200 BC.

Introduction
The complex of Loughcrew is located near the Boyne River, west of New-grange, Ireland, about 60km from the east coast. This “megalithic cemete-ry" consists of many graves, which are situated inside cairns, on three gras-sy hilltops now being grazed by cows and sheep (Refs.1-5).

The most important passage grave is in Cairn T, on top of the highest hill of Loughcrew. The cairn, including the passage grave, is oriented to the west. The westernmost chamber will be the most important one, and within this chamber the westernmost stone. In accord with this state-ment, the end-stone C8 has been engraved in a surprisingly beautiful fashion (Fig.1).

This is a story in ideograms, a quantitative picture writing, actually the ol-dest written history on Earth. It is the story of the attempts to reach the o-ther side of the world, that is to cross the Ocean (c.3200 BC). These ima-ges are a unique form of picture writing, and are the most beautiful mega-lithic petroglyphs of the British Isles. We consider them the second best in Europe, after the petroglyphs of Dissig-nac, Brittany, France (Refs.6-11).

As in many other examples of cave and stone art, the natural shape of the stone has been used as part of the work, the surface of the stone being an endless sea that is now called the North Atlantic Ocean. As drawn in detail in Fig.1, note the coast of Europe on the right, Greenland in the north, and the other, unknown side of the Ocean on the left. The proof of the story lies in the inscriptions themselves. Each figure represents a number. By adding the numbers, the actual and true degrees of latitude of the discovered land-points are obtained, and all in historical order!

Discovery of the Islands in the Ocean
“A long time ago (Fig.1), we travelled with a sailing boat (A) from the Strait of Gibraltar (A) at 36N, via the Canary Islands (B) to Cape Verde (C) at 15N (A+B+C=6+-6+3=15). We wanted to cross (D) the North At-lantic Ocean (the surface area of the stone) at the latitude of the Tropic of Cancer, at 23N (A+B-+C+-D=6+6+3+8-=23), in honor of the SunGod Ra, but we were not able to do so. However, from Cape Verde we discovered the Cape Verde Islands (C) at 15, 16, and 17N (B+D+C1+C2+C-3=6+8+-1+1+1). But still we were not able to cross the Ocean.

Later, we discovered from the Canary Islands (B), the two islands of Ma-deira (E and F) at 33N (A-F=33). At about the same time we discovered from the British Isles (G), west of Scotland (G'), the islet of Rockall (G''), at 57N (A-G+G'+G-''-=41-+8+-8=57). These islands gave a little bit hope (E and G'' are stars).

Then, after some time, we discovered from Madeira (E) the three island groups of the Azores (F,H and I), at 37, 38, and 39N (36+Aa=36+1+1-+1). These islands lie in the middle of the Ocean (H and I are glyphs of the ocean with lines in the middle of them). But still we were not able to cross the Ocean!

Finally, we discovered from the Orkney's (J) at 59N (A-H+J=-50+9-=59) the Faroes (K) at 62N (A-I+K=58+4=62), and from the Faroes we reached the SE coast of Iceland (L) at 64N (A-I+L=-58+6=-64). The sailing distan-ces are only 4 Egyptian moiras= 4° (G'a=G'b=4) (1 degree= 111km). Ice-land (L) lies like the Azores (H and I) in the middle of the Ocean (L re-sembles H and I).

Thanks to the SunGod, we discovered from the NW peninsula of Iceland (L') at 66N (64+L'=64+2=6-6) Cape Holm (M) at the SE coast of Green-land, which lies on the Arctic Circle (M) at 67N (A-I+M=58+9=67). The sailing distance is 5 moiras= 5° (the waves go up and down 5 times). Cape Holm (M) can be reached from Cape Raven (M'), at 69N (67+M'=67+2-=69), in the easiest way.

From Cape Holm (M) we went 7 (N+O+P=1+1+5=7) to the south to Cape Farvel (P), the south cape of Greenland, at 60N (67-7=60). From there we went 1 (O=1) to the north to the SW Cape (O) at 61N (60+1=61). But at these places we gave up (P, the little man).”

Fig.1 Stone C8 from our book Rocks & Rows, Sailing Routes across the Atlantic and the Copper Trade (Ref.7).

Dating
Fig.1 also provides the dates of the discoveries, because each important glyph represents a century (100 years). De vague inscriptions Z en Z’ do not count, because these were added later. The waves on top of the stone do not count either, because these represent water, and the little circles N and O are too small.

Above glyph M (Cape Holm, Greenland) are three little carvings, which in-dicate that the islet of Jan Mayen (JM) (above Iceland) was discovered 2½ centuries after the construction of this passage grave, so 250 years after c.-3200 BC, or c.2950 BC (Fig.2).

The passage grave of Loughcrew was built c.3200 BC (P), because people gave up their attempts to cross the Ocean at Cape Farvel (P), the south cape of Greenland (Refs.1-5,13-16). Greenland was discovered at Cape Holm (M), one century earlier, c.3300 BC (M). Iceland (L) was discovered an-other century earlier, at c.3400 BC (L). The Faroes (K) were discovered si-multaneously, because the sailing distance to Iceland was equal to the one to discover this archipelago (both 4° = 444km).

Two centuries earlier (K+I), the (West) Azores (I) were discovered, c.3600 BC (I). - The islands were discovered from south to north, so now we fol-low the glyphs the other way around, from north to south. The 5 glyphs H,-J,F, G+G’ and G” give the discovery of Rockall (G”), 5 centuries prior to that, c.4100 BC (H attached to G”, G’ resembles G”). The remaining glyph E provides the discovery of Madeira (E), one century earlier, c.4200 BC.

The 4 lower glyphs D,B,A and C provide the discovery of the Cape Verde Islands (C), 4 centuries earlier, c.4600 BC. - So far the dates over 15 centu-ries, between 3200 BC and 4600 BC, are given by 15 glyphs. However, the glyphs J,G”,F and E, lying on a straight piece of line, are less beautiful than the other glyphs. Of the remaining 15-4= 11 glyphs, 9 are really nice, enco-ding the discovery of the Shetland Islands (J’), 9 centuries earlier, c.5500 BC. The 2 other glyphs (K and P) refer to the discovery the Canary Islands (B), 2 centuries prior to it, c.5700 BC.

The mentioned discovery dates have an accuracy of about a century (±100 years). They are equal to the dates given by the passage grave of Karleby (Falbygden, Sweden), which is from c.2950 BC (discovery of Jan Mayen) (Refs.7,9-12). – Loughcrew is located at 54°N. It refers to the Strait of Gi-braltar (A) located at the complementary latitude of 90-54= 36°N, also en-coding the circumference of the planet Earth, 36 Moiras, or 360°. So, the ultimate goal was to circumnavigate the Earth.

Discussion
People gave up their attempts to cross the Ocean at Cape Farvel, c.3200 BC. The monument of Stonehenge I in South England (also c.3200 BC) confirms it, as well as the discovery of Greenland at Cape Holm, one cen-tury earlier. The passage grave of Gavrinis, Brittany (c.3500 BC), confirms the discovery of the Azores, also one century earlier. The inscriptions on both sides of the Tablet of Paredes, Galicia, Spain, and of Dissignac, Brit-tany, confirm the almost simultaneous discoveries of Madeira and Rockall. The passage grave of Kercado, Brittany (c.4500 BC) confirms the discove-ry of the Cape Verde Islands, one century earlier, too. In all cases the mo-numents were built one century later, after the coastal waters around the is-lands were fully explored (Refs.6-19).

Fig.2 Date Table from our book Rocks & Rows, Sailing Routes across the Atlantic and the Copper Trade (Ref.7).

References
1. Twohig, E. Shee, The Megalithic Art of Western Europe, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1981.
2. Twohig, E. Shee, Irish Megalithic Tombs, Shire Archaeology, 1990 (ISBN 0-7478-0094-4).
3. O’Sullivan, M., Megalithic Art in Ireland, Country House, Dublin, 1993 (ISBN 0-946172-36-6).
4. Eogan, G., Knowth, and the Passage Tombs of Ireland, Thames and Hudson, 1986 (ISBN 0-500-39023-1).
5. Balfour, M., Megalithic Mysteries - An Illustrated Guide to Europe's Ancient Sites, Collins & Brown, 1992 (ISBN 1-85-585-3558).
6. De Jonge, R.M., and Wakefield, J.S., How the SunGod Reached America c.2500 BC, A Guide to Megalithic Sites, 2002 (ISBN 0-917054-19-9). Available: MCS Inc., Box 3392, Kirkland, Wa 98083, also on CD. Website: www.howthesungod.com
7. Wakefield, J.S., and De Jonge, R.M., Rocks & Rows, Sailing Routes across the At-lantic and the Copper Trade, MCS Inc, 2010 (ISBN 0-917054-20-2). Available: MCS Inc, Box 3392, Kirkland, Wa USA 98083. Website: www.rocksandrows.com
8. De Jonge, R.M., and IJzereef, G.F., De Stenen Spreken, Kosmos Z & K, Utrecht/ Ant-werpen, 1996 (ISBN 90-215-2846-0) (Dutch).
9. De Jonge, R.M., and Wakefield, J.S., “The Discovery of the Atlantic Islands”, Ancient American, Vol.13, No.81, pgs.18-25 (2008).
10. De Jonge, R.M., and Wakefield, J.S., “The Discovery of the Atlantic Islands”, Migra-tion & Diffusion, Vol.3, No.11, pgs.69-109 (2002).
11. De Jonge, R.M., Website: www.slideshare.net/rmdejonge
12. De Jonge, R.M., and Wakefield, J.S., "The Passage Grave of Karleby, Encoding the Islands Discovered in the Ocean, c.2950 BC", Migration & Diffusion, Vol.5, No.18, pgs.64-74 (2004).
13. Dames, M., Mythic Ireland, Thames & Hudson, London, 1992 (ISBN 0-500-27872-5)
14. Richards, J., Stonehenge, English Heritage, 1992 (ISBN 0-7134-6142-X).
15. Atkinson, R.J.C., Stonehenge, 1979.
16. De Jonge, R.M., and Wakefield, J.S., “Greenland, Bridge between the Old and New World”, Ancient American, Vol.11, No.67, pgs.12-19 (2006).
17. Le Roux, C-T., Gavrinis, Ed. Gisserot, 1995 (ISBN 2-87747-145-4) (French).
18. Briard, J., The Megaliths of Brittany, 1991 (ISBN 2-87747-063-6).
19. Wachsmann, S., Seagoing Ships and Seamanship in the Bronze Age Levant, College Station, Texas, 1998 (ISBN 0-7141-1735-8).

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Newgrange is somewhere I've been meaning to visit for the last few years, I'd love to be in there for the solstice. I remember hearing a story about how a group wanted to dig it up in the early 1900s looking for the Ark of the Covenant, but luckily were stopped

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join