It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6000 year old megalithic complex of Meath County Ireland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Awesome! Thanks for posting, I have never heard of this place or seen this before, this is interesting.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yeah - have been here - great place. There are lots of these things, there are also some in other countries which are very similar - love the fact that it predates Egypt. Anyway - for me it came across as a birthing place - very womb like - just my thought.

Great museum there with recreations of what life was like.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Anyone else with experience? From what I can tell they also have Solstice ceremonies there in what looks to be a much more intimate setting than Stonehenge... has anyone been to one of these?

I'm incredibly interested as to what effect the light plays on the white quartz which lines the face of Newgrange.

Nicely constructed OP HunkaHunka .

To answer your question , yes i have been to Newgrange at sunrise , during winter solstice . I wasn`t lucky enough to be in the chamber .... but it certainly was a moment that resonated with me.

There is definitely a powerful sense of *continuity* , with humans congregating on that spot to greet the sun on the shortest day of the year. An event no doubt, once filled with a certain trepidation , to a peoples who understood all too well that the sun was life itself.

As another poster stated , the Pyramids are more visually stunning and would dwarf the megalithic complex ...........yes, Newgrange does not have same Ego issues.

They allow a certain amount of people into the chamber to witness the suns rays shaft through the "window", up the passageway , and illuminate the inter chamber .

Would you like to one of them .........?

They hold a draw every year to choose the lucky few .

There is no on-line application system, however the obliging Staff at the Visitor Centre will fill out a form on your behalf. Email your postal details and a contact telephone number and they will complete an application form on your behalf.

source
Email: [email protected]

A group of us visited several different interesting sites on the day .
Warning !
The shortest day of the year with a jam packed schedule of places to visit will leave you frozen, in a field in Monasterboise attempting to put a tent up in the dark. Morning light revealed our impromptu camp site over looked the ruins of a Cistercian Abbey.

Ireland ....... your only a few fields away from something ancient .

Edit to add: The site was all but forgotten until the OPW, Office of public works did a lot of remedial work to the site a few decades back.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

It predates Egypt according to MAINSTREAM Egyptology, and that may be true, but equally valid a theory is that the Egyptian pyramids (particularly the Great Pyramid Khufu) are far older. Both Giza and Baalbek (Lebanon) show far more impressive stonework than anything in Europe/Britain/Ireland - possibly indicative of greater methodology/technology before the devolution that's been in place since sometime before known history.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dean Goldberry
reply to post by audas

It predates Egypt according to MAINSTREAM Egyptology, and that may be true, but equally valid a theory is that the Egyptian pyramids (particularly the Great Pyramid Khufu) are far older. Both Giza and Baalbek (Lebanon) show far more impressive stonework than anything in Europe/Britain/Ireland - possibly indicative of greater methodology/technology before the devolution that's been in place since sometime before known history.

Excellent post OP!

I too believe the pyramids are far older than they are telling us. I believe they were made either before or during the age of Leo, hence the Sphinx near by.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
halfmoon.tripod.com... That is the Spain/Celt connection. Haplo groups tend to be the same time and again between the groups. Also explains why the northern Spanish are so fair. I'm wondering if any of these types of structures exist in Spain or is it simply something that is completely indigenous to Ireland.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by favouriteslave]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Very interesting OP! The Sundial from Knowth, in particular. There have been a few theories posted here and elsewhere as to the meaning of the CW and CCW spirals found on the Sundial...GOD/Universe/Soul...Fibonacci Sequence=Golden Ratio=Sacred Geometry. I would offer this as something that just "rang true" when looking at the spirals.

What if...

Now...it's obvious that the person or persons who designed this sundial had a solid grasp of astronomy and the celestial heavens. And the patience and attention to detail needed to carve this tablet may have just revealed to the observers another interesting earth oddity while looking to the heavens. The stars arrived at a slightly different location in the sky a year later from what was previously tracked. Could these spirals be representative of this observed anomaly? I would consider that these spirals may represent:

Chandler's Wobble and it's phase shift.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51faad745d46.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d453549fe739.gif[/atsimg]

"The chandler wobble doesn't really have any effect on most people. The people who live with it on a daily basis are astronomers using earth-based telescopes and people using various navigation systems. With telescopes, the wobble affects the ability to point at a star accurately. The Chandler wobble also affects celestial navigation, since the latitude does change over a period of 14 months. Global Positioning Systems, (GPS), can overcome the effect of the wobble on navigation. Navigators' star charts, however, still have to be updated to show the new reference point for the geographic North and South Poles."

Just a thought...

[edit on 17-7-2009 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The Spiral of Infinity can be seen as the evolution of the Universe as by 'Design'. The Universe is ever-changing/expanding to a new beginning; a new creation. Creation, evolution itself the essence of Life and Progress among the Cosmos.

Great post.

Having visited Belfast, Dublin, Cork and other cities/towns of Ireland....I found Cork to be most special............as was/is Stratford upon Avon in England. After reviewing Stratford in various places on the 'internet', I found it interesting how John Harvard was not mentioned? Must have been the 'history' of it all. Understood.

By the way, the ladies (of Cork) appear to 'sing' when they speak. Peaceful, special place, past and present....minus the 'rebellion'...which was due.

Hmmm, once had special relations with a lady of Cork. Soft, smoothe and sensual as I remember. Yum.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Well the black supremacist claim Africans were in Ireland and did that. Bull#.

The ufo crowd claims aliens landed and educated the people. Also bull#.

Here we have the simple fact that a group of people on the edge of the known world, if left to their own, will begin to develop.

Bare in mind Ireland is pretty peaceful, isolated, and simple. The perfect place for a civilization to begin.

Thunk about it. All the great civs developed in places isolated, cut off, and with resources readily available.

The only question is what did these people in.

Black Supremacist? Do you have a source for that claim because I have never heard anyone claim that Africans built this thing. Googling key words only produces your own post.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Great thread, S+F ATS needs more quality threads such as thing.

Most interesting part for me was the use of a cross. Looks like the hardcore Christians have another thing to blame the devil for. Damn people who pre-date "jesus" using his symbol! Those crooks!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I live in Ireland and have been there and its amazing, you cant help but be awed by something like that, I have no doubt as to the underestimation of ancient cultures, and I have no doubt the pyramids were built long before the Egyptians.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Gosh, surprised to see such enthusiasm here at ATS for something I've always taken for granted,
but nonetheless, which has always held huge importance in the framework of my being.
Then again, I spent my teenage years growing up in Dublin,
and so Newgrange is a very familiar/closetoheartspirit place to me.
To share an experience, as an early irish history enthusiast,
as a child of nature spirit,and universe and not of the catholic church
I was born into, visiting Newgrange was always big on my wish list.
I finally got to do so at age 15 when I on impulse one beautiful blue sky day bunked school
and crossed via many buses from sth Dublin to meath,destination Newgrange. Those were the days pre globalisation and busloads of tourists arriving hourly.
What can't be seen in the pics in the op , is a ring of standing stones around the structure.
On my arrival, it was about midday, and there was ONE busload of tourists being given a tour of the actual structure.
I was content to just be there finally myself, and sat facing the sun with my back against one of these stones while waiting for the busload to leave.
I had a desperate need in me at that time in my life to reach back to my prechristian ancestors, to connect with those who lived the lifestyle I wanted to be living,to feel SOME connection I guess in this out of sync world.
Anyway, I sat against the standing stone and let myself "slip".
Those that slip , know what I mean, to those that don't ,mmmm, hard to explain, Time and Space thing,swapping/warping dimensions sort of.
So I enter this atmosphere that is really "thick like" ,and I was really aware of the energy in every atom of me,I felt strong, I WAS strong.
And it was in me resonating from this place,like all life source,deep, slow frequency energy.
A powerful ancient primeval energy, so heavy , swallowing was slow and hard-that kind of thick atmosphere.
Well that's all really,no ancient civilization visitations or swirling of stars or anything.
Just a very thick shuddering energy that took you over but wasn't unpleasant,just you knew you were in a place much older than you,
and HUGELY aware than it was an energy node of some sort ,and it didn't make you feel lesser than it or that it was majesty or anything,
just that you knew something passed thru you, and to be honest once I came back to the moment, I felt a heavy sick feeling like travel sickness or something,went and checked out the inside of the place,was struck by it's ancient mystery ( not solstice so no witnessing of mathematical wonders ), and did the return jaunt across city to be home at end of school time, nobody any the wiser.
For several days though , I carried that heavy energy inside me , and the nausea that accompanied it.
Sorry to dribble on so long,
but yeah, the place is special, and special to me personally.
As a previous poster said,looks like nothing special, but if you can get the quiet peace to release into the place while there,
you'll know what I'm talking about.

namaste,and,
thanks for the memories.

[edit on 17/7/09 by asIam]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Really cool post. S&F. The swirl in Egyptian hieroglyphs is the symbol for a year/span of time. Since most similar writings tend to mean similar things. It could be interpreted as the god Osiris,the physical universe, current, a god,etc. I would say that that would be a good place to start.

You gave me something fun to try to translate.

Thank you.

Noconsequence..

[edit on 17-7-2009 by noconsequence]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Always interesting to see and speculate about these types of structures. The size of these reminds me of UFO craft, as if some re-creation.

Carvings in stone, to me, are as if when a child draws what they've seen, such as instrumentation aboard a craft or device. Think of Star Trek?

Energy or music graphs etc. an ancients boom box?

Too bad we haven't heard from any remote viewers or abductees who've also see these.

This structure also reminds me of a bunker like from SG1, which has been also said to be real anyway. Just not necessarily for a Stargate...........unless that is disclosure.

The shape, from overhead, reminds me of something like a horseshoe crab. This would make it easier to spot flying above it, like other landmarks.

The outlay of squares etc. also reminds me of stonehenge. Which I also suspect is another re-creation of some craft and possibly when these return for whatever purpose, just as we may do on other cultures and areas of interest. Such as to resupply.

It's also interesting how the fan motif are also seen in other cultures, such as Egyptian with the sun rays and necklaces.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
your getting closer to decoding them, crop circles are obviously related. So are Egyptian temples, Ankor Wat, Mayan cities as well as Inca and Aztec, Ancient Indian temples and ancient buddhist temples. They all have similar stylistic renderings as well as constructions. When you begin connecting all the megalithic sites together with lines a certain angle keeps coming up: 135 degrees. All these sites were promptly abandoned after they were built but if you assume they went to another place and began building similar buildings somewhere else that the style and skill of building these structures would change and evolve over time, which it has. Crop circles are simply the newest technology for whatever they are doing with these structures which I believe is tapping energy from the earth. Solar, lunar and other star alignments may be the activators for these powerhouses.
There are a number of reasons that they would be abandoned after construction was finished.
-like solar panels, once they are installed they generate power with no maintenance or user input. (what i think)
-the spread of humans or internal conflicts (if they are human). Ankor Wat supposedly had millions of people inhabiting the area while London was losing its population of 500,000 during the Black Plague and yet there is no record of the people or bones to study in Ankor Wat.
-natural disasters
and other things...
A good book to read which explains the relation to Stonehenge and cropcircles is The Gods Machine's by Wun Chok Bong
it piqued my interest on this subject

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Nice thread, I didn't know of this place!

One thing that amazes me however is that with all of our technology we have today, we're supposedly far far advanced over the civilisations of old. Yet, we cannot figure out how exactly their old systems worked, like this calendar, we can only presume to know what all the symbols mean and it's a shame we've forgotten

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Last summer I visited the Newgrange site and got to witness the recreation of the winter solstice's sunrise effect on the mound. Even the recreation was breathtaking. Let me just say that I had never before been in a place where I could almost feel tangible magic. But I remember thinking the entire time we were down there that there I was, standing where intelligent, thinking, reasoning, spiritual human beings had stood over 5000 years ago. And yes, there was a feeling of human continuity. Like I became a part of their work.
I definitely agree with asIam's post... the intensity of the energy was tangible. I don't know if I was merely affected by the sheer "oldness" of the site, or if I is indeed some form of energy/magic/what-have-you concentration.
All I can say is that it made me a different person.

First post by the way! I felt I had to finally contribute, since this is one of my absolute favorite topics.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Excellent Post Dude.

I also find these two facts fascinating about New Grange

When I was thinking about the Crop Circles I remembered the book I bought when I visited by Michael J. O’Kelly titled Archaeology, Art and Legend. ISBN 0-500-27371-5 Thames & Hudson.

I found Kerbstone 13 and 18 to be of extremely interesting.

Both stones contain hundreds of motifs which are no longer visible as they have been replaced as found.
These Kerbstones are absolutely covered in spirals, motifs.
The Underside of Kerbstone 18 show the runic symbol for strength and the Ogham script for the Birch representing the First tree in the Celtic Tree oracle.

The monument is understood to be closely related to the Winter Solstice – Dec 21
The Birch Tree represent the first symbol in ogham script meaning the start of a cycle The Runic is ae a one of the extra Nordic vowels with a sound like ay it also represents strength

“Newgrange was also the subject of televised experiment in which a sound wave from a source in the inner chamber, resonating at 110 Hz, alternated from loud to soft along the passage rather than simply fading as it moved further from the source".

A Laboratory experiment demonstrated the movement of the wave, if the passage were filled with smoke or steam, would be VISIBLE as the sort of pattern found in the rock art of the monument”

It seems that whoever built this place was not only capturing light but was also playing around with sound at the same time.

Does anyone have any pictures of The rearside of Kebstones 13 and 18 or a video of the programme.

New Grange is certainly an Enigma

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antipigopolist

Chandler's Wobble....... I haven't heard about that in a long time, great theory! This serevs to reiterate what I was saying about Sacred Geometry. It is said that it is "in" and "of" the universe by design. And that the universe was designed upon it. Supposedly you can find the Golden Ratio of Sacred Geometry in all things. Resulting in this spiral and Fibonacci Sequence (named after the medieval mathmatician Leonardo Pisano) aka Fibonacci. He was just the one that stumbled upon it he didn't think it up as some would think. It has always been there as you have demonstrated with Chandler's Wobble.........

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hello! Ireland is magical I loved the dolmens, the wedge tombs, ringforts, standing stones, the burren, the peat bog stories, the stone walls, sheep, the castles, the orgam stones..... inspires the imaginations. It's so charming there is a postcard photo every direction you look. However, if you go watch out for border collies herding cars, no bathrooms for the pubic, no trash cans, few gas stations, no ice, no hotel soap, no bathrooms in the gas stations or the malls. Don't the Irish have to visit the restrooms? Trouble going back to USA... intense security. The showers all turn on differently don't feel like an idot if you can't make it work. Watch out for Tractors, Tourbuses, and Fast Trucks comming at you on one lane roads!!!!! Augh!!!! Lost luggage going and returning, missed flight connections, possibly sleeping in airports due to this. Being told to put your liquor in your luggage because you didn't but it at duty free. Pray it doesn't break all over your books, post cards, sweaters, and sheep skin rug. Having your carry ons searched, being given the pat down because your jewlery sets the machine off. Don't put your passport down and be sure to turn and face your purse and other stuff while they pat you down so you don't get robbed at the same time. The pat down felt great like a massage after a 7 hour flight. The Paris airport people did that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join