It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese-born engineer convicted of stealing trade secrets critical to U.S. space program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Chinese-born engineer convicted of stealing trade secrets critical to U.S. space program

www.breitbart.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.startribune.com

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

As of now that is the only information in the article. I would imagine more news will come out but as of now the AP is reporting it as a "News Alert".

To speculate on the article I would like to know what "critical" secrets this person was passing along, and how much of it made it to presumably China.

-E-

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This Article has more information.

A federal judge in Santa Ana, Calif., ruled Thursday that former Boeing Co. engineer Dongfan "Greg" Chung stole 300,000 pages of sensitive documents that included information about the U.S. space shuttle and a booster rocket.

Prosecutors said investigators found papers stacked throughout Chung's house that included sensitive information about a fueling system for a booster rocket — documents that Boeing employees were ordered to lock away at the close of work each day. They said Boeing invested $50 million in the technology over a five-year period.

Prosecutors said they discovered Chung's activities while investigating another suspected Chinese spy, Chi Mak. Mak was convicted in 2007 of conspiracy to export U.S. defense technology to China and sentenced to more than 24 years in prison.

-E-

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I wonder what the gov is going to do about this, if it comes out that China is sending people to spy on US companies, will they just look away and pretend it didn't happen? unless the guy was doing this on his own expecting to sell the stolen documents to some third party, i tend to believe otherwise, but who knows

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Well he is the first to be convicted of "economic espionage" so this should be pretty public.

Chung indicated to his PRC handlers a desire to contribute to the “motherland.”

Heres a great website
The Center for Counterintelligence and Securities Studies
It breaks down every aspect of the case

Here is the initial arrest and charges

-E-

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is not a new phenomenon for the US.

German and Japanese Americans were supporting their country of origin up to and into WW2. Communists sympathizers were providing sensitive information to the Russians.

Most often the spies were on a payroll as opposed to just working out of loyalty to their homeland.

The realistic solution has often been for the US to pay them more to work as double agents. And then some one pretend they have changed loyalties.

Anyone reading John Le Carre knows how byzantine it gets, with people switching back and forth or working the middle.

Obviously Chinese people will have to go through extra layers of security diligence now, before being given work in to security areas.

Too bad the Americans can't infiltrated Chinese military inner workings as easily. Or maybe they do quietly sending American or European educated Chinese moles back home who work silently tipping off the West on how things are progressing in China and who they are doing business with.

I wouldn't be surprised, but we would not hear about it.

Mike

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
i think that he is in the right to share information that relates to the evolution and safety of spaceflight. i dont see why the world does not join their forces in it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
i think that he is in the right to share information that relates to the evolution and safety of spaceflight. i dont see why the world does not join their forces in it.

Unfortunatly, space flight and wepons technology go hand and hand, so it may not be so wise to share our info with others who may in the future become our enemies.

-E-

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I would not put this past China.They are very determined to get to the moon.I guess any info that could help them in this end would be most welcome.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think the Chinese wisely are preparing for a possible military confrontation with the US, maybe India, Russia, some European countries, or some combination.

Countries have to be prepared for all eventualities. Not inconceivable the US could find an excuse for a confrontation with China over debt repayment, Asian natural resources, etc.

Known is that the Chinese are advancing in non-conventional ways to knock out potential enemies like immobilizing communication, power, etc.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join