It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines Wrestle With Afghanistan’s New Airstrike Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Link on Wired

Gen. Stanley McChrsytal, the new commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, has issued new, more restrictive rules for when American troops can call in airstrikes, after a controversial incident in May killed dozens of civilians. From now on, U.S. forces must “work through” engagements where civilians might be at risk, rather than simply calling in a B-1 bomber, according to one officer with knowledge of McChrystal’s new rules.

We're going to send you to a foreign country, tell you we want you to do a job, then tie your hands so you can't. This sounds eerily familiar.

But the new rules also require the Marines to “be sensitive to Afghan cultural norms regarding women.” So when a gaggle of civilians fled the compound, the Marines didn’t search the females. When the Americans finally stormed the compound, they found it empty — and realized the Taliban had sneaked out, dressed as women. “Apparently these were tall, rather broad-shouldered women with hairy feet,” a Marine spokesman mused.

I think we need to draw the line somewhere. If these guys can't do their job, why are they there again? They chase down these guys and watch them walk out because they can't search the people walking out? How does this happen?

It almost seems to me like things are designed to prolong this effort. Make it last as long as it can. The longer the 'war' the higher the profits, eh?

Grrr.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Profit,yeah probably.But it also keeps a US military in the region while we leave Iraq.And the restrictions on the air strikes does remind me of a past war that didnt end well.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Profit,yeah probably.But it also keeps a US military in the region while we leave Iraq.And the restrictions on the air strikes does remind me of a past war that didnt end well.

Thanks for that...that was certainly the parallel that came to MY mind as well. I'm assuming here, I suppose, but it makes me think of Viet Nam.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

The new combat rules shouldn't have an affect the marines. Marines are not taught to rely on anything but marine CAS.
They are not taught to rely on anything but thier own rifles. mg's and motors.
Just like The Nam.

top topics

join