It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heres a crazy thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Imagine if ET Life is so advanced that all these sightings we have are actually alien sight seeing trips. They come close to our planet so that they can marvel at our beauty and crazy way of life.

Even more mind twisting is that way in the future we created time travel (although impossible) and a way to revisit the past is to observe it from afar as to not make the past aware of the future

Just a bit of a thinker for you..

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
how is time travel impossible? If you want to be technical we are traveling through time right now moving forward in time. What does that mean? There is really no 'time' and it is just the motion of spirals and wave like vibrations.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That is technically true, but if time travel was possible, wouldnt we have always known about it??

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by imsteve

Lul...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by imsteve

Time travel is impossible now at our technological level, but whos to say in the future it is possible?
Time travel is difficult to explain, some people think that time travel ISN'T possible , you only travel between alternate worlds at various time frames, seeing as apparently there are infinite dimensions therefore infinate possibilites, How ever if Time travel was possible like everyone assumes Time travel to be , i.e starting with a time machine and actually traveling back or forward in time on your dimension then if would be very difficult to not interferre.
If you could travel back to a period of time in your ( our ) worlds history , any intereaction between you and the past would have effects on your time, like the 'Grandfather' effect or more commonly know as the 'Butterfly effect' , like going back to prehistoric times and stepping on a butterfly therefore a minor event in the butterflies period but could have devastating knock on effects in yours, like going back in time , meeting your grandfather as a child and accidently killing him ( before he had kids) , how could you be born to travel back in time to kill your grandfather? Paradox bigstylee.

If you wanted to learn about the past firsthand like going back to Pompei the night of the eruption you would either have to observe from quite a way out or if you wanted to get right into the town you'd have to be totally inconspicuous, learning Latin, dressing and looking like a native, with little or no interaction in speaking to the natives or warning them of the events to come.
If you so much as mentioned the eruption someone who should have died as a result of the blast, ran and lived , what through the course of THEIR actions ( which wouldn't have been possible because they were supposed to have died) would the world of yours be like?

Its like I thought recently all the people that have died in the recent wars , what actions would they have done and how would it change the future, for example, a child killed in a US air strike could have created the cure to AIDS or a free energy generator.
Possiblities abound but with Time travel you'd have to be very careful, I'd favour the seeing from afar , like historic UFO sightings, were they futuristic sightseers? at least history records them as unknowns , at least that wouldn't have a tremendous impact on the future, they would become folklore but direct contact would and could destroy the world or at least the future/your present as you know it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Think of it as a family tree with each minor event creating a new branch their must be infinite dimensions out their and that's a plausible thought im sure if possible in current times i'd like to go back and watch WW2 ect as it happens although im sure it woudlnt affect your current dimension as it has already happened and the event would just create another branch
it's starting to sound like crap now but im sure you get my point

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
On the ET sight-seeing concept...

The same thoughts ran across my mind before. IMO, I think there is a high probability that most of the visitors that come here, come here just to sight-see. Think about it, what would we humans do if instead of cars.... We had ultra high tech spacecraft, capable of crossing the galaxy in a matter of minutes, maybe even seconds? We would probably want to do a little sight-seeing am I right?

Some might argue, "well if aliens wanted to do sight-seeing wouldn't it be better to land first?" After all, why would they be scared of us if they are so advanced? I say to you this... Would most of us want to land and risk getting deadly microbes in our bloodstream? Or perhaps getting attacked by beings of lower intelligence in a fit of fear?

I think most aliens would prefer the safety and comfort of using their 100,000 x Zoom Super HD 3D Camera that they have installed on their spacecraft.

Just some crazy thoughts of my own...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
There is really no 'time' and it is just the motion of spirals and wave like vibrations.

Um, what? Care to provide some examples or studies or anything at all that demonstrate that time is as you describe it?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by imsteve
That is technically true, but if time travel was possible, wouldnt we have always known about it??

If deep-sea volcanic vents are real, wouldn't we have always known about them?
If the Earth isn't the center of the universe, wouldn't we have always known that?
Etc., etc., etc.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by imsteve
Imagine if ET Life is so advanced that all these sightings we have are actually alien sight seeing trips. They come close to our planet so that they can marvel at our beauty and crazy way of life.

This idea has been explored quite a bit in scifi literature. My favorite story, by far, is that an ancient race of beings basically took party cruises around the universe. At one point, some rich alien kids camped out on Earth and partied. One of them got sick outside, and from that pile of vomit, life on Earth evolved.

Even more mind twisting is that way in the future we created time travel (although impossible) and a way to revisit the past is to observe it from afar as to not make the past aware of the future

Actually, time travel is not impossible based on our current understanding of the universe. It would require more energy than we can currently produce, or a structure that could survive a black hole, but, in theory, time travel (especially to the past) is theoretically possible.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
All current models of time machines make it impossible to travel back to before the machine was started. Like two linked black holes making a wormhole and you accelerate one end to near light speed, then one end of the wormhole should be in a different time reference then the other, but still can't go back before you set it all up.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
But if people in the future could go back in time then time travel would have been around for centuries.. no?

This CoNfUsEs meee...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Time Travel is NOT impossible. The only thing is it would be foolish of us to think that we could travel back to, say, 1981 just by entering the date. Why? Well, let me tell you: The time that we use is merely there to make our lives easier and we are, no doubt, the only species that uses the current measurment of time. I doubt that any measurement of time invented by people or alien races will be accurate in the whole scheme of things. Not even the lesser evolved (intellectually) animals will have it right because everything uses time in a way that is convenient to its own world, right?
That being said we must look at the universe as a whole and tap into the time frame of that; only then will we be able to travel back in time.

Ramadwarf on self-confusionism

new topics

top topics

join