It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Vice President and Nuclear Chief Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Iranian Vice President and Nuclear Chief Resign

news.bbc.co.uk

The head of Iran's nuclear organization, Gholam Reza Aghazadeh, has resigned, according to the Isna news agency.

The report said the nuclear chief had submitted a letter of resignation to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad nearly three weeks ago.

It was not immediately clear what triggered the resignation.

Mr Aghazadeh also stepped down as the country's vice-president, Isna reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.democraticunderground.com

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wonder what could have possessed two high-level officials to resign simultaneously? Ahmadineja has given them his blessing, so there must be legitimate reasons.

The first thing that comes to my mind is some kind of fore-warning about the CIA hit squads that are, no doubt, poised to take out everyone to do with the nuclear program given the green light.

I dont think Ahmadineja would allow resignation for moral reasons, and i don't think they hire morally grounded people for this job to begin with, but physical danger is much more likely.

any thoughts?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hmmm... I read the article that he held both posts, Vice President and head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, and that resigned from both of them.

Several reasons are possible, including the one you mention.

It could also be possible that even though he is in a current seat of power that he did not agree with the way the elections and the protests were handled and stepped down or was asked to step down because of that or some other internal disagreement between himself and TPTB in Iran.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Maybe they dont want to be a part of the surpression?
Poor Iranians, its gone quiet over there, imagine how many people are being beaten, chained in a cell?

There's a massive internal battle going on, lines are being drawn!

The head of the Nuclear Programme, and the Vice president split from Ahmadinejad and The ayatollah?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If I had to guess I would say they are leaving because they know what happened and that the cheating of the vote was real, and they also know that the people know this and no matter what they do the government is going to fall.

And when it does the ones at the top are not going to last very long!
From what little I am seeing there have been quite a few go over to the peoples side on this.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well the Vice President leaves both his posts and he becomes they somehow, it is just one guy leaving the two positions he has, could be health reasons, family reasons etc..

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Well the Vice President leaves both his posts and he becomes they somehow, it is just one guy leaving the two positions he has, could be health reasons, family reasons etc..

ahaaha, that's funny, i didn't notice that. Weird how concentrated the power structure is over there. Seems like in the US we need 1000 guys to do any one job.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Management Shuffle

Considering the claimed timing of the resignation notice and Mr. Aghazadeh's ties to Mir-Hossein Mousavi, it's hard to believe there isn't a connection between his resignation and the controversial outcome of the recent elections.

Then again, maybe it's just a coincidence.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well - that didn't take long. A replacment has been named along with the like reasons behind it.

Ahmadinejad Appoints New Iran Nuclear Chief

Ali Akbar Salehi, Iran's former envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, is replacing Gholam Reza Aghazadeh as the new vice president and the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, IRNA said.

Officials gave no reason for Aghazadeh's resignation, but he has long been close to reformist opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi, who claims to be the victor in June 12 presidential elections and has called Ahmadinejad's government illegitimate.

... More ...

Aghazadeh has made no public comment on the June 12 election turmoil, in which Mousavi supporters staged massive street demonstrations before the government crushed them in a heavy crackdown, but he is known close associate of Mousavi ever since the opposition leader was the prime minister in the 1980s.

The outgoing nuclear chief is also close to Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a powerful cleric and former president who is a bitter rival of the president.

Sounds like Iran getting rid of those in the government who didn't follow the "party line". Wonder if he'll have some unfortunate "accident" sometime in the near future?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I wouldn't be surprised. With the US backing Mousavi, and with Aghazades assumed knowledge of Irans nuclear capabilities and intricacies of government, Iran must feel insecure having that information in the hands of a member of the opposition.

Also, Aghazades has been around since the previous administration, which is a long time. If anyone knows the state of Iranian politics its this man.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
You can bet Iranian intel.agencies will be keeping close tabs on this guy.The heard of their nuclear program knows all the secrets.Also being friends with Mousavi makes him a potential threat to the regime.

top topics

join