It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Witches' Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yes, agreed..the Wiccan Reed is,

Do what you will, yet harm none.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

When I started looking into Wicca/Witchcraft I joined witchschool.com to take some classes and it was actually very informative. Its free for the basics but thats all I was really looking for at first. It is a good site and a few friends of mine who are long term practitioners have even checked the site out and say it's pretty good.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Honestly my wife and one of my daughters is Wicca.. I'm an ordained minster in the Church of Native America and back in the 90's was one of the key players in the passage of the "American Indian Religious Freedom Act"

trust me when I say that had less to do with peyote and it usage then the main stream media suggested... our real victory was in the "Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act "

I am a major supporter in Freedom of Religion in the United States and very vocal on how Christians groups pump propaganda to their mindless masses claiming how dangerous we none christians are... can you say "Hate Crime"?

I may not be Wicca but you got a friend here...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes, Ive seen that site, it seems like a good thing. And many links off Witch's Voice Inc. There are many free things here as well, so as not to have ppl thinking im spamming..lol.
Its just good info for anyone wanting to know more about the craft.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Thanks I will check that site out. I dont ever remember going to it so anything new is good to me!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Honestly my wife and one of my daughters is Wicca.. I'm an ordained minster in the Church of Native America and back in the 90's was one of the key players in the passage of the "American Indian Religious Freedom Act"

trust me when I say that had less to do with peyote and it usage then the main stream media suggested... our real victory was in the "Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act "

I am a major supporter in Freedom of Religion in the United States and very vocal on how Christians groups pump propaganda to their mindless masses claiming how dangerous we none christians are... can you say "Hate Crime"?

DaddyBear, good to have a friend on our side
I totally repsect your beliefs and many are fantastic and wonderous
Thank you for sharing that.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

hehe you will have much reading there..lol..better brew some coffee

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

I didn't know there was a Church of Native America so I'm really glad you posted this. I feel that the spirituality of Native America is also one of the Nature Based religions even though I don't know much about it. Native Americans are close to my heart even though I'm of Irish/Scot descent. I've always been fascinated by their wisdom and hope it survives because of people like you working toward that goal.

It bums me out to realize there are so many people who won't make the effort to understand the fear they have of anything out of the mainstream religious arena.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hello DaddyBare....Good to meet you and thank you for your story too. My other half holds beliefs very close to Native American, having lived in the US for 16 years, and I've always seen the two as very close to each other. My one frustration, which I find hard not to rant on about sometimes, so please forgiveme, is the way that mainstream religion, and Christians in particular will hold the party line rather than discuss. Hopefully, we can tempt some of them in here for a blether, and put some myths to rest.

While I'm here...another person I admire is Laurie Cabot....very informative, and very ethical...a fabulous teacher.

lauriecabot.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Personally, I suspect that many of those persecuted during the so-called witchhunts were just dissenters of the established norms of their time. Same with the Spanish Inquisition and the Holocaust, but that's just my opinion.

I was interested in Wicca/Witchcraft as a teenager, but it never was quite my thing. I ended up studying all sorts of divination. Sadly, I came to be scorned a bit by many witches and new-agers that I used to know, because I use a Thoth deck and because Crowley grew on me.

I feel sorry for him, but I think he learned from that life and made up for it in the next probably...

It's nice to see that you can be open and connect with one another here. If I had any firm beliefs, it would be wonderful to find others to share them with.

The resources are much appreciated. I can always use new material to study.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

I think you might well be right about the witch hunts...if we don't understand it, and they can't explain it....burn it! A lot of what went on was about medical knowledge too, and older herbalist women and village healers were persecuted by the new "scientific" medical establishment, which was exclusively male at the time. It's very sad to think how much traditional knowlege was lost, which we are only slowly rediscovering.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
For superb music, I suggest listening to Dar Williams. Her song, "The Christians and the Pagans" is wonderful.

ARTIST: Dar Williams TITLE: The Christians and the Pagans Lyrics and Chords

Amber called her uncle, said "We're up here for the holiday Jane and I were having Solstice, now we need a place to stay" And her Christ-loving uncle watched his wife hang Mary on a tree He watched his son hang candy canes all made with red dye number three He told his niece, "It's Christmas eve, I know our life is not your style" She said, "Christmas is like Solstice, and we miss you and it's been awhile"

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said Sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses

The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, "Is it true that you're a witch?" His mom jumped up and said, "The pies are burning," and she hit the kitchen And it was Jane who spoke, she said, "It's true, your cousin's not a Christian" "But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere" So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able And where does magic come from, I think magic's in the learning Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning When Amber tried to do the dishes, her aunt said, "Really, no, don't bother" Amber's uncle saw how Amber looked like Tim and like her father He thought about his brother, how they hadn't spoken in a year He thought he'd call him up and say, "It's Christmas and your daughter's here" He thought of fathers, sons and brothers, saw his own son tug his sleeve saying "Can I be a Pagan?" Dad said, "We'll discuss it when they leave" So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able Lighting trees in darkness, learning new ways from the old, and Making sense of history and drawing warmth out of the cold

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Wow someone who has obviously never really read about Wicca. Well for you I suggest "The Complete Idoiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft," its actually a good book and breaks down Wicca in simple form for those with questions. I have it and have read it and many others I know have borrowed it to read it. Also any true Wiccan NEVER uses magic to harm others, please read about it before you make misconceptions.

I do know about Wicca. And I know that Wiccans aren't supposed to "harm" anyone (not that I think you could even if you wanted to). Hence why I said that this is basically a religion that Gerald Gardner decided to make up based on a little bit here and a little bit there with his own mesh of beliefs. I said, that witches would be closer to African tribal witches or shamans in tribes in the Americas in their beliefs that they can use magic for whatever they want (again, not that I think they have any power either, unless you include poison
). That was my point, that Wicca does not connect to any other magical belief/practice except new age beliefs with a little bit of ceremonial magic and using mythology from any culture.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I should point out the name "Church of Native America" is a bit complex and the Wiccans could take a lesson from it...

Obviously each Tribe has their own religious practices and ceremonies so no one church is the same... what they offer is this shelter, umbrella for our 501.3C not for profit status and allow us to have projects like the Drug and Alcohol rehab facility in Gallup NM. it also gives us a unified front when we take the Government to court

We use our heritage and traditional teaching, drumming, sings and holding a blessingway etc to help them get and stay clean and sober... since we apply for federal funds that would be possible without the name "Church" behind us...

just an FYI

[edit on 16-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Those lyrics made me cry. I hope that scene is played out again and again in hundreds of homes just so we can all understand each other. That we are all searching for the same thing along different paths.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Part of Lady Atheona's short essay on Wicca

Wicca is a modern religion only about fifty years old. It is, however, based on the ancient religious practices of Europeans predating Christianity. Despite its youth, Wicca has evolved into many different variants of itself and has spawned other pagan and re-constructionist movements worldwide. Gardner's vision of keeping an ancient religion alive has been exponentially fulfilled. Wicca is a thriving and prosperous religion with adherents being drawn to it faster than most of the old world traditions that have been around for thousands of years. Wicca is a beautiful new religion, filled with the wisdom and knowledge of the ages; one that can grow and evolve as our society does; one filled with the beauty and wonder of nature. It is a modern religion filled with the romance of our ancient past and can take us back to our roots. So take a single night, when the moon is full, and dance under the stars with us. You don't have to be naked to do so, but we won't stop you if you want to.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Everytime i hear that song , i cry too
Dar really knew how to write it!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Wow someone who has obviously never really read about Wicca. Well for you I suggest "The Complete Idoiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft," its actually a good book and breaks down Wicca in simple form for those with questions. I have it and have read it and many others I know have borrowed it to read it. Also any true Wiccan NEVER uses magic to harm others, please read about it before you make misconceptions.

I do know about Wicca. And I know that Wiccans aren't supposed to "harm" anyone (not that I think you could even if you wanted to). Hence why I said that this is basically a religion that Gerald Gardner decided to make up based on a little bit here and a little bit there with his own mesh of beliefs. I said, that witches would be closer to African tribal witches or shamans in tribes in the Americas in their beliefs that they can use magic for whatever they want (again, not that I think they have any power either, unless you include poison
). That was my point, that Wicca does not connect to any other magical belief/practice except new age beliefs with a little bit of ceremonial magic and using mythology from any culture.

There are no hard and fast rules in Pagan practices. The guideline is simple. It is a basic thought-process that is a way of life. Anyone can do whatever they wish to do at any time, as is true everywhere in every religion. There are however, no repercussions from outside authorities if a Witch chooses negativity, except for one thing. The belief that what you put out returns to you.

Witches and (I assume) Wiccans believe that what they do comes back to them. No one of good heart wishes to harm another, yet harm occurs despite the best of intentions. It is the heart of the practitioner that this "guideline" applies to.

Ceremonial magic is another aspect that is not necessarily reflected in the basic premise of Wicca or Witchcraft. It is easy to get confused if you haven't educated yourself before forming opinions based on fears.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

Ceremonial magic is another aspect that is not necessarily reflected in the basic premise of Wicca or Witchcraft. It is easy to get confused if you haven't educated yourself before forming opinions based on fears.

Listen I know ceremonial magic and wicca is not the same. As I have said many times, but you do not seem to understand. I said that Wicca has ceremonial magical elements (athame, wand, drawing circle, calling quarters). Wicca is a mesh of things. Gerald Gardner decided to write a book based on everything he knew about the occult and said, "ta da! It's magiiiiiic" (taken from the Joker in Batman but still!
) So I am not confused at all and I am certainly not fearful of the occult (why would I be fearful if I don't believe in it? Magic is just a creative way to pray and praying is bogus to me! Magic is just more expensive!)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

There are alot of different ways to approach this practice. I felt a little overwhelmed when I first started reading about it because I felt a huge responsibility. I put my books away for a while and let the subject drop from my radar until I "felt" the time was right to resume my studies. Personally, I love the idea of natural healing and that is what brings me back time after time. The religious part and the ritual part are still a ways off for me though. I'm still learning. I like that it is an individual endeavor with no one to judge me, except me. With so much negativity in the world, having the option to pursue a positive spiritual practice is attractive to me.

But I love hearing how other people fashion their lives, what they believe and why. I suppose I'll never get tired of learning new things.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join