It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Witches' Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar is 349 page, black cover book that claims to contain everything you need to know about The Craft and Religion of Witches. Copyright 1981, 1984 With illustrations and photographs. The volume can be purchased online by visiting your online bookseller.

The collection includes 2 books in one volume. The 8 Sabbats for Witches and The Witches' Way. The book is said to be the most comprehensive work on the principles, rituals and beliefs of modern witchcraft.

The principles addressed are:

The Sabbats and Rites for Birth, Marriage and Death
Casting & Banishing the Magic Circle
The Complete Book of Shadows
The Great Rite
Initiation Rites
Consecration Rites
Spells
Witches' Tools
Witchcraft & Sex
Running a Coven
Clairvoyance
Astral Projection

The introduction explains how modern witchcraft in America and Europe is a fact of life. It is the active religious practice of a significant number of people. Wicca is both a religion and a craft. As a religion, it puts the practitioner in touch with the Divine creative principle of the Universe. As a craft, its purpose is to achieve practical outcomes by psychic means for the good. In both aspects the characteristics of Wicca are its Nature based attitude and its philosophy of creative polarity.

Witches celebrate nature - - agricultural, pastoral, wildlife, botanical, solar, lunar, planetary, and psychic tides and cycles. The purpose is to put the practitioner in tune with nature's rythyms and unity.

The celebrations are 8, called Sabbats and further divided by Greater and Lesser, which include:

Imbolc, 2 February (Candlemas) A Greater Sabbat
Spring Equinox, 21 March A Lesser Sabbat
Beltane, 30 April (May Eve) A Greater Sabbat
Midsummer, 22 June (Summer Solstice) A Lesser Sabbat
Lughnasadh, 31 July (Lammas Eve) A Greater Sabbat
Autumn Equinox, 21 September A Lesser Sabbat
Samhain, 31 October (All Hallows Eve) A Greater Sabbat
Yule, 22 December (Winter Solstice) A Lesser Sabbat

Wicca is a natural religion and appeals to many individuals because it may be practiced solitary or in small groups called covens. The preference is up to the individual seeker and their internal expression.

In this day and age, it is not common for people to "feel" the changes of the seasons, the Gut Feeling of Nature. Practicing Wicca is for the purpose of attuning oneself to the natural tides and seasons of nature and the individual effort to achieve unity with it. Observing nature and becoming one with it, including the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Sometimes Metal is included in the list of essential elements. The Elements are said to be encircled by Spirit, which is represented by the Pentagram. (A star within a circle).

I read this book last year when I became fascinated with a Magical Almanac. However, there are aspects shared in this book that I (personally) find uncomfortable. Having said that I want to point out that I place no negative judgement on anyone who does find certain aspects appealing. After all, Wicca, Witchcraft are personal journey's in search of the Divine understanding we all search for.

I prefer a Solitary Practice that has advantages and drawbacks. The advantages are that I pursue those practices and lessons which appeal to my intuition. This allows me to discover a deeper meaning to nature at my own pace, in my own way and by honing my intuitive/psychic abilities without the structure and organization of a group setting. The drawbacks are that there is no input or assistance from another's perspective, wisdom and imagination. The lack of like-minded support or interaction may be seen by some to be inhibiting to learning. The beauty of it all is that the practice, regardless of Coven or Solitary, allows each practitioner (or initiate) to become familiar with Divine Nature at his or her own pace.

Since I began my learning on this subject I've been both exhilarated and doubtful. Exhilarated because I finally found an established religion that reflects my inner voice, the love of Nature and Earth. Doubtful because that old ingrained idea passed down from generation to generation for untold centuries that forbids the individual to even consider the etherial aspects of life which have been reserved instead for Priests and Patriarchal Religious Leaders.

The terrible lies and witchunts of times past that raised superstitious fears to chaotic levels, disallowing the individual freedom to express their individualism, pursue their own desires, and a serious threat of persecution.

Once the real purpose of Witchcraft and Wicca are understood, the fear dissipates being replaced by a sense of rightness and pure intent. Any religion may be manipulated by ones with unhealthy desires, including Christianity, Muslim, and Wicca. The goal of every Witch should be To Harm None. It is not only the goal, but the life's purpose and direction. To Harm None, taken at first glance seems less significant that it is. Taking an active notice of one's own actions, thoughts and words and being determined to follow the only "rule" in Witchcraft allows one to see the world around them in a new, bright, positive light. The practitioner or initiate sees herself in harmony with all life and attempts to create good by utilizing nature itself and the balanced energies contained within every living object to achieve healing or to banish negative energies.

I have not yet begun my year and a daycommitment to pursuing this path. But what I have done is take the parts of the religion and craft that "fit" and made them a part of my ongoing thought process. I've instead focused on Herbalism and Natural Healing as a prelude to Wicca or Witchcraft. My interest in herbs, flowers, plants, animals and nature itself is satisfied with these pursuits. I never knew how much there was to learn. Sometimes I fear for future generations who may never have the opportunity to learn about or experience nature in its pure state. Who will preserve this knowledge for them?

I encourage you who are reading this thread to visit the links I have included to gain a greater understanding of the natural world we inhabit. Deny Ignorance. Deny Fear. Deny Negativity.

The conspiracy against natural, earth religions is based on unfounded fear, deliberate lies and patriarchal religious leaders who wish to remain the "power elite" by controlling our subconscious minds, our conscious actions and thoughts and to destroy the understanding that we are all capable (required to be) of being our own Priest/Priestess of The Divine Creator of All. We do not need an intervener or our behalf to commune with God or The Goddess. That we believe we cannot reach spiritual communion on our own behalf is the greatest lie ever told.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ive had this bible for years, and the one by Gerald Gardner. You might also look into Scott Cunningham's books. He is an excellent author and explains things in "laymen terms". Llewellyn's online book store

Merry Meet

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
THis thread sounds a bit to much like Spam...

Everything in your book and more can be found for free at Sacred Texts web site Click here to visit While I applaud your enthusiasm asking people to look at pay for books when all this stuff is free just rubs me the wrong way..
If nothing else send them to Witchvox another good site with links to groups who offer learning circles

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I don't believe this is spam in any way. I did include many links from various internet sources which do provide free information, one of them is witchvox. The thread is meant to discuss the overall view of this forbidden religion and the conspiracy against it and its practitioners.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Wow, that's something. I believe I read about a witch one time in the Bible. The witch of endor or something like that. Anyway, she conjured up a demon that the king listened to and the king died in a battle along with his sons. It was interesting.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by DaddyBare

I don't believe this is spam in any way. I did include many links from various internet sources which do provide free information, one of them is witchvox. The thread is meant to discuss the overall view of this forbidden religion and the conspiracy against it and its practitioners.

Well, all I can say is kudos to you for bringing this up, there is too much misconception about us "witches".
We are one of the most peaceful people on the face of this planet today, and I am glad to meet another

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Ive had this bible for years, and the one by Gerald Gardner. You might also look into Scott Cunningham's books. He is an excellent author and explains things in "laymen terms". Llewellyn's online book store

Merry Meet

Merry Meet Yummy Freelunch

I have these books on my shelf:

The Secrets of High Magic, by Melville
Llewellyn's Magical Almanac
The Master Book of Herbalism, by Beyerl
Earth Power by Cunningham
Lost Books of Merlyn by Monroe
The Women's Encylopedia of Myths and Secrets, by Walker
Green Witchcraft Volumes 1, 2, 3 and Grimoire for the Green Witch, by Moura
Encyclopedia of Natural Magic, by Greer
Solitary Witch, by Silver RavenWolf
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
The Circle Within, by Sabin
The Witch's Master Grimoire, by Lady Sabrina
Wicca for Beginners, by Sabin
Living Wicca and Wicca A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner, by Cunningham
Solitary Wicca for Life, by Murphy-Hiscock, AND
Witch's Grimoire, by Judy Ann Nock

A very interesting collection I must say. However, there are some that are more appealling to me than others.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What an excellent post...thank you so much, and I hope many people take up your suggestion to read this valuable book for themselves. I haven't read the Gardner one, but it's on my wishlist already. There is still so much misinformation and prejudice about witchcraft that it's actually quite rare to talk to someone who doesn't have some hate and superstition filled piece of propaganda as their only reference point. As with most subjects, people need to read and understand before they can comment...I hope you get many refreshingly intelligent replies!

This is my favourite line in your whole post, however.....

That we believe we cannot reach spiritual communion on our own behalf is the greatest lie ever told.

Such a deep truth. Star and flag from me.

Blesed be

Cait xx

[edit on 16-7-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wicca isnt the ancient religion that it's made out to be.
It was created by Gardner and Clutterbuck in the 1900's and is a hotchpotch of eastern phyolsophy's, etc.
I do have recpect for Traditional Witchcraft, which is different from Wicca.
Wicca seems to me to be a watered fluffy version of the real thing.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 16/7/2009 by va1963]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Why is this in the conspiracy forum? It should be in the Religion, Faith, And Theology Discussion Forum imo. The only conspiracy that you allude to is that the church doesn't want this known? As a previous poster mentioned, it is for free on the internet, anyone can look into it, it is open to all.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wicca is a religion made up in the 1950's...If there were witches I doubt they would have resembled what Wicca is. It would have resembled more of the African tribal witches or shamans who basically destroy a lot of things for "magic" and will do bad things for money or power. Also, Wicca attempts to mimic shamanic beliefs as well as ceremonial magic that is meant to raise demons and evil spirits (hence the magic circle to protect yourself). In Wicca, why would you need to protect yourself if you are just trying to conjure pink bunny rabbits?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

There is much misconception and fear surrounding this way of life. I feared it even though I was attracted to the information from a very young age. I used to wish magic was real. Now I am 48 years old and unafraid of other people and their phobias. I decided to learn for myself what it was about and why it has such negative connotations attached to it.

My discoveries were shocking to say the least. You are more than correct in your summation that we are the most peaceful people you could hope to meet.

The lies need exposing!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Merry Meet

I have most of Cunninghams books and I have ordered off that site many times
Good site!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I too hope for many insightful members who are willing to discuss the intricacies involved in the misconceptions about Nature Based Religions. There is nothing to fear or feel threatened by. Yet, so many are instantly biased because of the propaganda perpetuated by "spiritual leaders" afraid that the natural way will eliminate their power over us.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch
Why is this in the conspiracy forum? It should be in the Religion, Faith, And Theology Discussion Forum imo. The only conspiracy that you allude to is that the church doesn't want this known? As a previous poster mentioned, it is for free on the internet, anyone can look into it, it is open to all.

I for one was afraid to look into this subject for one reason...the fear perpetuated by commonly accepted religions and their hate doctrine against it. That makes it a religious conspiracy in my personal opinion. Clearly you don't think so. Let's see what the moderators and other members have to say. Thank you for replying. I appreciate your perspective even if I don't agree. ♥

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Whats wrong with fluffy bunnies???
And Wicca isnt "made up". If you read Gardner's history, it is taken from ancient celtic roots. It is along the druidism beliefs that have been passed down for centuries.
Just because our bible isnt being published and rewritten as much as the christian bible, doesnt make it any less real.

Blessed be

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have this, it was actually one of my first purchases on Wicca. I bought it at a used bookstore. The site yummyfreelunch posted is also a great site! I have various books on the craft and many are wonderful, some not so much. I personally am not too crazy about Ravenwolfs books but that's just me. Cunningham has some pretty good books and how to journals on writing your own BOS and everything.

(BOS)= book of shadows

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Wicca is a religion made up in the 1950's...If there were witches I doubt they would have resembled what Wicca is. It would have resembled more of the African tribal witches or shamans who basically destroy a lot of things for "magic" and will do bad things for money or power. Also, Wicca attempts to mimic shamanic beliefs as well as ceremonial magic that is meant to raise demons and evil spirits (hence the magic circle to protect yourself). In Wicca, why would you need to protect yourself if you are just trying to conjure pink bunny rabbits?

While you're perfectly correct in saying that Wicca is a more modern version of traditional witchcraft, I don't know where you're getting your information about the rest of your post....I've never destroyed anything to do my work, nor summoned a demon or evil spirit, and I'm fairly certain the same is true for most other Wiccans and witches. Why would be want to "conjour pink bunny rabbits"? The point of a magic circle is protection, but not against anything demonic we've summoned up....it's about protection for the practitioner whilst in a vulnerable state, where most of us have to be to work properly.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Wow someone who has obviously never really read about Wicca. Well for you I suggest "The Complete Idoiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft," its actually a good book and breaks down Wicca in simple form for those with questions. I have it and have read it and many others I know have borrowed it to read it. Also any true Wiccan NEVER uses magic to harm others, please read about it before you make misconceptions.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I have this, it was actually one of my first purchases on Wicca. I bought it at a used bookstore. The site yummyfreelunch posted is also a great site! I have various books on the craft and many are wonderful, some not so much. I personally am not too crazy about Ravenwolfs books but that's just me. Cunningham has some pretty good books and how to journals on writing your own BOS and everything.

(BOS)= book of shadows

I agree, that Cunningham has some really great stuff..Im familiar with Silver Ravenwolf , also, not as well written as Cunningham, but still informative ...heres one review

Silver Ravenwolf

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join