It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evidence of advanced machining in ancient egypt?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
found by a modern day stone worker who seems to know what he's looking at/talking about.

site

this might interest the people who think it was all done with copper chisels, rope and sleds. something to ponder anyway?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

Very interesting and alot of information on that website.

Alot of those pictures are pretty convincing as well, but I have very little knowledge of building and so I am forced to speculate (aliens did it.)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
S&F
Nice find

I believe that all ancient civilzations were advanced in science than we all think they were.

A lot of theories go around that the Pyramids were built with alien technology or by aliens. I do not say that is not possible, but I think humans did have the ability in the past to do what now seems impossible with reference to those times

[edit on 16-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A few years ago there was an excellent visiting egyptian display at one of the large san francisco museums.

There were many amazing objects on display in such a fashion, that you could get a very close look at them.

There were some stone vessels similar to what has been mentioned in various threads here.
While they might look perfecly formed in pictures, they a far from being machine perfect as some would have you believe.
Ive been a precision machinist for nearly 20 years and i can spot the slightest imperfections.
many of these objects look like they were made on a machine, but when you get a very close look at them, the imperfections are appearant.
They are hand made for sure.
I feel that they did use some rudimentary mechanical procceses, but nothing more than a turntable/ modified potters wheel and copper saws.
But they are NOT MACHINED in the modern sense in any way.
If I was able to actually handle one I could point out slight imperfections on the surfaces that are hall marks of a hand made object.

And honestly all this talk of aliens just disrespects the amazingly skilled craftsmen who created such beautiful objects with rudimentary tools.

The diorite bust of the queen, whom the display was dedicated too, is one of the most amazing objects of art Ive ever personally seen.

So instead of trying to belittle the skills of these amazing crafstmen with theories of aliens and such, why cant you acknowledge the memory and paramount skills of these past artists, who created such objects of beauty.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by punkinworks]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Absolutely there was advanced stonework being done.

The trick is to not take that fact, and assume they were doing it with modern machinery.

A lathe is not even remotely difficult to come up with, if you already have spinning tools - and the Egyptians had potting wheels. Spin a rock, apply a tougher rock, and you've got a lathe.

Similarly, even the site admits a tube drill can be made with bamboo. or perhaps a tube of copper or bronze. Again this is not a hard technology to come up with. A fire drill (as in, the kind with a stylus and bow) is a direct precursor to these.

Sone saws? Also damn easy.

In all these cases, all you need is an abrasive, a little lubricant, and man hours. it's impressive, but not something I'm going to freak out over. Instead i'll just wonder why notoby's trying to claim that the Chinese had to have super-delux space alien technology to carve jadethe way they did.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

just wondering if you read all the articles on the webpage i linked to. i was particularly impressed with the stone cutting expert who pointed out that some of the big sarcophagi are cut and made in such a way that we cudnt do it today with our technology. also he was impressed at how far the drill bit they used went into the stone each time; apparantly it cut much deeper and was more efficient than our modern drill bits.

i have to say im not really surprised since... aliens did it

ps, no one is denigrating anyone. i am just looking for the truth. all this, dont speculate becuz you're denigrating ancient peoples to me is a load of sillyness. if you dont speculate about things, how can you ever arrive at the truth? to me thats taking political correctness too far. mustnt ask questions becuz we might offend the ancient egyptians...????? i dont think they would have minded. seriously, since they themselves associated most of their achievements etc with the gods. i just happen to believe their 'gods' existed. and were aliens.
So i am actually giving way more credit to the ancient egyptians than anyone else is; and respect; because i respect the truth of what they believed in and said in their legends. i think it had basis in fact and shud be taken seriously. and i think people who dismiss it as myth and fantasy without looking into it seriously, are the ones who are denigrating the ancient egyptians' beliefs.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by rapunzel222]

[edit on 23-7-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

i was particularly impressed with the stone cutting expert who pointed out that some of the big sarcophagi are cut and made in such a way that we cudnt do it today with our technology. also he was impressed at how far the drill bit they used went into the stone each time; apparantly it cut much deeper and was more efficient than our modern drill bits.

Thats a bit of a stretch to claim we couldnt do it today.

And to claim that they were able to out drill a modern drilling machine, thats pure hooey.

Modern rock drills can drill at several inches a minute for hundreds of holes before changing the tip.
And I have personally seen a 10" diameter hole cut through 6" thick granite in less than a hr on a water jet machine.
or 2" dia hole through an inch of granite in just a few minutes with modern stone hole saws.

Blackmarketeer provided ths excellent link to egyptian stone cutting.
nefertiti.iwebland.com...

I have also been blessed to see a large 1 piece sarcophogus first hand, although the outside was polished smooth, it was obvious that the inside was hammered out, you can see it in the surface.

gtg

new topics

top topics

join