It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddfellowship Thoughts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by senrak

And thanks senrak ! Thats more info than I have been able to find on IOOF anywhere. But you gave a lot in one post. As far as I've researched, there are no longer any IOOF lodges around me (but there were in years past). Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I would like to find a local group !

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by scooterstrats
As far as I've researched, there are no longer any IOOF lodges around me (but there were in years past). Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I would like to find a local group !

I'm not sure, but you can check with the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania:

Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, IOOF
William Locke, Grand Secretary
1001 West Harrisburg Pike
Middletown, PA 17057-4899
United States of America

Tel: 717-944-7419
Fax: 717-948-9608
Email: [email protected]

If that info is not still accurate, check with the Sovereign Grand Lodge through their web-site. They can lead you in the right direction.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by senrak]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by senrak

senrak, again, thank you . I did as you suggested, talked to a fine man, the grand secretary, for an hour or so, and he gave me the info for a local contact that I wasn't even aware was here.

M74

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak
Interestingly a few years back a group of women who were Rebekahs threatened to sue the Sovereign Grand Lodge for membership and the SGL bowed to them and now both men AND women can be members. "Odd Fellows" indeed.

On what grounds did these women expect to succeed in a legal battle? It's a private organization, is it not? They can maintain whatever membership requirements they wish. I'm surprised the SGL bowed down to the threat when it seems to carry very little actual threat.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have been thinking of joining also. I know a couple of OddFellows through the Mason's. I am a Mason and a Shriner also.

We have an active local chapter. They do allow women, so my wife can join me at the meetings!

I like their "anonymous charity." I was enticed to join when I heard about them buying a bike and some Christmas gifts for a family after a fire. One of the member's saw a child complaining that his bike had been lost in the fire. He brought the idea to the meeting and they pitched in to replace it anonymously!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by M74
On what grounds did these women expect to succeed in a legal battle? It's a private organization, is it not? They can maintain whatever membership requirements they wish. I'm surprised the SGL bowed down to the threat when it seems to carry very little actual threat.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding the incident. I just know that SGL started admitting women around 2000 or 2001 and the ritual has been completely revised to say "Brother/Sister" etc.

As I said, I don't know how I truly feel about this, because I really think men should have all-male organizations if they wish, and women should have all-female if they wish. But I can't comment on how things have changed within the Order as I have not attended a meeting in years and years. Probably won't ever go again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join