It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DCS Black Shark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Where do I start? Firstly this isn't Hawx or FSX. This is the penultimate simulation (at least in my opinion). While I missed out on Falcon, even though I am discovering it now, the DCS series has a bright future.

www.digitalcombatsimulator.com...

They modeled the Ka-50 beautifully and down to the exact detail. Just look at the cockpit and try flying the thing on simulation mode and you will find what I am talking about. I bought it a few days ago, prior to some research and reading some of the manual, and I am hooked. While LOMAC decided to die and give me the mscvrt.dll error and since I was stuck in DLL hell I decided why not?

This isn't a install it and play kind of game. It takes research, training and skill just to get it to fly without "skipping around like a demented frisbee". But after you put in that time and when that dedication pays off you will feel great. It's a study sim. The next DCS module will be the A-10. The A-10C model is close to being finished if not done and they are population the terrain. Apparently in August they will be talking about the project in more detail. Rumors have it that after this we get the AH-64 Apache. I don't know how they will get the dual seat working in single player but online play is going to be epic.

Then the rest is unknown. Some say they will do an F-16 module to rival Falcon 4.0 AF or they might do an naval operations module with the likes of the F/A-18 and Su-33. (We need a new carrier ops sim) But the overall plan is to have all of these jets / slicks integrated online. So they will add each module to work directly with the prior one. For instance whenever the A-10 comes out, if you own both you can fly both, if you don't you only fly whatever one you have, ect. Integrated battlefields sound epic.

I am still waiting for a MiG-29 simulation. ED are Russian..come guys choose the right one So are there any other simmers here on ATS?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Realistic combat flight simulators are pretty much dead. FSX is following suit.

Only X-Plane will soon be left in the realistic flight simulation department, but they never plan on making combat flight sims

Never tried Blackshark yet though. But I've flown virtual civilian helicopters in X-Plane in highest realism settings, it's ridiculously difficult!!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Combat sims won't die. Sure regular flight sims should have stopped in 04, in my opinion, but we still have a future. DCS can help out but people are still playing Falcon, its great with mods (OpenFalcon, Red Viper,ect), LOMAC (VNAO anyone?
), and even some Janes F-18 / F-15. People are still playing it. It won't die because genres don't die.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik
Combat sims won't die. Sure regular flight sims should have stopped in 04, in my opinion, but we still have a future. DCS can help out but people are still playing Falcon, its great with mods (OpenFalcon, Red Viper,ect), LOMAC (VNAO anyone?
), and even some Janes F-18 / F-15. People are still playing it. It won't die because genres don't die.

Yes it's dying because my new computer can't play those anymore
I'm pretty sure, more are having problems with new OS and new hardware, particularly, newer graphics cards.

Falcon 4 is still working though, but I still don't have time to go over the 'thousand-page' manual!!

My favorite was Jane's USAF, sadly, it's broken in Windows XP. I've used to make it work in windows XP in an older computer, I wasn't so lucky in the new one.

new topics

top topics

join