It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

toilet paper malternative that IS compost toilet friendly!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Yuck, but could be good to know when TP runs out or low....

water...... this would also be convieneint as I am usuing a compost toilet with sawdust...

Also, the compost bucket could have the bottom cut off annd you can dig holes to use and cover over when your done for when/if you run out of sawdust etc...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That was an entertaining read, Melissa! I like the author's writing style. yep, it's a conundrum. It's part of why I'm the secret TP czar around here.

"oh, you can use leaves." mmm-hmmmm, and maybe you'll get lucky and find one that doesn't cause a rash.

The key to the author's whole experience was always having soap. To that I'd add, a...... patdown cloth
Used to be a pretty common method in the olde west.

Your composting toilet........ sounds like the perfect way to go; no more expensive biodegradable TP, plus it'll keep your nails clean. ha!

Good article, good things to consider. Better to have thought about the situation before HAND, than freak out when the inevitable no-TP situation happens. I'm a big fan of those small squeezy tubes of liquid body soap. They're scattered out all over our BOBs and other portable kits. 'course, I'm still the TP czar. Only 396 rolls to go before paper freedom

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
p.s... I thought your thread header was a typo until I read it.

Malternative is right. ha!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
yeah, I like the TP zar idea too.... 396 rolls will last well over a year!

Awesome. I am stocking my bug out camper and bug out bags for sure, but it is good that when worst comes to worst I can have an idea to stress out less about the TP!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

BTW, I apologize if you are not "mellisa" as I called you.... I had occasion to read your comment on the "Don't Hate Me Because" thread, and then it clicked that your screen name is Mell-Is-A-Mouse.

Anyway, 396 rolls is two cases. Why a case is 198 rolls, I have no idea. We've broken them down to six flattened rolls per 1 gallon ziplock bag. After Hurricane Paloma smacked us last November, I passed out the better part of a case, until supplies started rolling in -- all of the stores had roof loss or damage, and paper products were wet.

We've since restocked, and that all got me thinking about the process of making paper. I did some research, and while it seems doable, I don't think it's worth the time -- for us at least -- especially in light of this article and the fact that we have the sea to tidy up in. Just a short duckwalk away

Along a somewhat related line, m'darlin' and I have been eliminating the need for other paper products over the past couple of years -- paper towels, mostly. What we use in their place are 4th generation t-shirts of mine. After they can no longer be cleaned satisfactorily, t-shirts become 5th and final generation -- manmops (you know, where we drop a cloth on the floor and move it around with our feet) and car rags.

I'm not yet prepared to move fully into the methodology outlined in your article, but good to think about it. I think that various TP types are, in general, more of a concern for women than men. How to put this delicately....... Some types of TP are too soft and break down when moist, leaving TP bits behind. Probably TMI. So, anyway, that which we've stored away is not very gentle stuff, but on the other hand it could serve more than one purpose in a SitX.

[edit - I should've kept reading on that other thread -- you ARE Mellissa lol] NEVERmind

[edit on 16/7/09 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
Yuck, but could be good to know when TP runs out or low....

water...... this would also be convieneint as I am usuing a compost toilet with sawdust...

Also, the compost bucket could have the bottom cut off annd you can dig holes to use and cover over when your done for when/if you run out of sawdust etc...

When I'm in SE Asia this is the method I use, it's much cleaner than the usual tp method. To be honest I get so used to it that when I come home to western civilisation I find the toilet paper method is less hygenic (unless you use the moist ones)

As long as there is soap and water to wash your hands with afterward (you can get away with just water) you won't get ill or anything. No waste and it's a boon if you catch the runs cause the chafing with tp isn't nice at all.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
two things I have planted as a TP alternative:
Lamb's Ear
and
Mullein
Note: mullein does cause sensitivity in some folks so I would suggest test runs to see if it will work for you. (Test runs on Any and All items you store/buy/think you will use if TSHTF is something I recommend strongly.)
You can purchase these seeds at SSE (Seed Saver Exchange) or at Baker Seed. There are probably other sources you could find on google as well.
Now I'm off to finish reading your link! Thanks!
gb,
~pre

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well..whatever happend too good old fashioned leaves and dirt? Not to sound sick or anyting but as kids, we used to play in my friends backyard, small section of woods we called 'the driftway'. SO! i never did it, but some of my friends, 'had to go' an d simply cleaned up using dried leaves then dirt, then washed up with water when they got home.
For the record, as a true funny spoof..one time a freind of mine, we were 13, he wiped, and ddint realize it wa posion ivy
he was in AAGONY for a ggood 3 weeks! so! the moral is, NEVER wipe with any plant as precaution, that has 3 sides or loks like clover

top topics

join