It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap survival store

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hi,
I am looking for a cheap survival store online. I don't think there is a store near me, I am in middle ga. Anyway I am going to put together a backpack for each member of my family, me my husband and my 3 kids. I have a cart full of bare essentials and the price so far is 72.00 plus another 28 for shipping. All I have is a few rations of water x5 , food bars x5, shake lights x5, ponchos x5, solar blankets x5, pack of candles and 2 packs of water tablets. Thats pretty pricey for those few things don't you think?. Anyway those things are the things I must have oh and whistles. Any help would be fine. oh, the store I have the cart full is quake care.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'd recommend checking out cheaperthandirt, or the Sportsman's Guide.

Also, you may want to look on google. I ran across several individual 'gorilla' style bloggers; who live on the road. They walk, hitch around, and camp. They usually have some fairly good back pack type lists...........they are after all proving what is necessary.

I can't think of it right now, but again google survival forums, and you should come up with several people that are living on the road with back pack supplies.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Thanks.....I read a review on those shake lights, I can probablly do without them

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Survival gear can indeed be had on the cheap.

Try starting out with more local ideas like summer yard sales and online sites. You can get great backpacks at yard sales, discount stores and my favorite, Craigslist.org

I purchased a brand new, major brand name 85 liter internal frame pack, for less than 40$ which retails for well over $200. If you don't plan on living in the wild for any length of time, a burlap bag will hold your gear just as good as a Gucci one. Forget style and go for function every time.

Skip the shaky flashlights unless you want one for the glove box. In general, they are poorly made and not good for a survival bag. Get one good light and some candles. I like Pelican lights and my favorite a Petzel Zipka.

While you can buy water for survival, it is better to get a way to make water potable. A good quality water filter, such as a Katadyn is a good purchase, and a Steri Pen is even better. Tablets are cheap and easy to get at your local drug store or camping store, but tablets are not good for long term and are not recommended for individuals with chemical sensitivities such as pregnant women and toddlers.

Yes, these things will cost you some money, but there is no need to buy everything at once, so you should take the time to look for discount, on sale items, or gently used things at yard sales. Craigs list is a cornucopia of goodies if you look often enough.

It all depends on what you are planning for and what it is that you wish to survive. If you are getting gear for potential flooding, it will be quite different than gear for a serious terrorist attack, or a pandemic outbreak.

If you are not sure what items to begin with, your local Red Cross can give you ideas on putting together an Emergency preparedness kit. The info is free and just a call away.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Be careful, because Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt have a lot of Chinese made crap that won't hold up.

Nothing like crossing an obstacle and having your pack give out, scattering your Kit-Kats all over the road.

Check an Army Surplus store, or fleamarkets/garage sales if you live near a military base. ALICE packs are great. A large ALICE can hold as much junk as a Ford F-150.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by concerned190
Thanks.....I read a review on those shake lights, I can probablly do without them

I purchased ONE hand crank flashlight that has a radio built in for like ten bucks at wally world, in the camping section. I also found three good LED flashlights in a pack at home depot on clearence for ten bucks. I also have a family of five to worry about. Everyone has their own LED flashlights with a couple extra sets of batteries and the wife and I also have some additional lights.

I googled survival gear and found a couple good places, but everything we have so far is either bought locally at wally world, a pawn shop, or homemade (dried food, jerky, trail mix) We went to sams and bought huge bags of dried fruits and nuts and sealed smaller bags with the vacuum sealer.

Keep us posted with what you find.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Dollar stores are very handy.
Be smart about what you chose to purchase, and you can save a bundle.
I wouldn't purchase my main flashlights, batteries, or backpacks there, but bleach, rubbing alcohol, baggies, trash bags, etc... are fine.

Here is a link to a previous thread on the subject.
Link is right here!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

If your not too far from Tallahassee, FL, our Sportsman's Warehouse is going out of business! Great deals on camping and survival gear!

Don't know how "central" in GA you are. Albany is about 1.5 hours from us, but Atlanta is closer to 5 hrs.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
www.tacticalresponsegear.com...
readymaderesources.com...
www.safecastleroyal.com...
originalsoegear.com...

All come recommended by a very trustworthy source and seem to be genuinely stand-up folks. Haven't gotten around to purchasing from them myself but only because moving costs a ton of cash.

As for water filtration after all the reading I've done (and some discussion with owners whom I work with) doultonusa.com... is probably the best bet for making water suitable for drinking/consumption.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Doulton does indeed make good ceramic filters, much like the well respected Katadyn filter, but contrary to Doltons claims, a filter will not protect you from viruses like Cholera and Typhus. A virus is simply too small to be filtered out effectively. For that you either need to chemically treat the water, boil it, or hit it with UV light. For that reason I prefer the Steri Pen which is 100% effective against viruses.

Chemically treating water is OK for short term, if you don't mind the taste, but the chemicals can cause other health issues, particularly for children. Boiling water is great and a time honored tradition, if you have the time to spend and fuel to burn. The Steri Pen with it's UV light destroys the viruses ability to reproduce and makes a liter of water safe to drink in 90 seconds with no chemical taste.

I have used the Katadyn in remote locations around the globe and it works very well. That is why it is issued by NATO and major NGO's around the world. I'll be in the jungles of Borneo next month, and due to the high potential of water born viruses there, I will be relying solely on the Steri Pen. It may cost a bit, but when it comes to health, it is worth every penny to have safe drinking water.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Someone already mentioned Sportsmansguide and they do have allot of real surplus as well. I have always been happy with almost everything I have purchased there (except German clothing... you have to go 2 sizes up I swear)

www.sportsmansguide.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I like Wiseman Trading and Supply and Camping Survival. Competitive prices and for those of us out of the U.S. -- they both export (except for those few items they are not allowed to export).

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You are missing a few key components to your basic survival kit.

Must have items:

Firestarter. The metal kind where you scrape the magnesium off and spark light it. Also a lot of matches.

Fish hooks and fishing line. Not only good for fishing but also for trapping animals. You can make small snare type traps for small animals. You can also snare animals as big as a deer by draping a bunch of hooks on line across deer trails.

Small folding saw for cutting branches and saplings for your fire.

I also highly recommend the small hand crank radio/flashlight that another member posted. Just be careful to crank it slowly and gently; the cheap ones are not built very sturdy.

Be sure to keep all your gear in ziplock bags.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by craig732]

[edit on 26-7-2009 by craig732]

new topics

top topics

join