It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I learned from camping in the wilderness for five days....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

and in most cases, it's not a matter of life and death, but one of comfort.

I see your point about "most" survival skill being unnecessary in the short-term, and more for comfort than survival, BUT...

Think of the psychological impact. A nice warm fire and a good nights rest may be the difference it takes when trying to hike out the following day, or find food, or keep the will to survive another day!

The more "comfortable" you can make yourself, the longer you will last, and the more motivated you will be!

It may not be necessary for an overnight stay, but as days and weeks drag on, it will become increasingly important!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
There was a TV show not long ago where a group of 5 set out to retrace Dr Livingston's rescue - maybe someone remembers the name? Not 'Out of Africa" but something along those lines....

Anyway - my point was something I learned from this show =

Fire starting - always carry a few Tampons (okay laugh). But:

A great source of dry cotton.
Compact, lightweight and easy to carry a few.
Wrapped to help keep them dry.

Another thing I always think of is (not from above show) is to take Dry Stones/Rocks (not from water-edge) and put them around your fire. The Hot Stones can be used inside a tent for heat or burried just under the ground with bedding right on top. Also these stones can be added to water container for boiling/heating water/food.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Indeed - when rocks are wet, they have a tenancy to... explode :O

I know this from - unfortunately - first-hand experience.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I vote for lighters and baggies crammed tight with dryer lint for starting fires. A tube of glucose tablets for emergency. Homemade trailmix, water purification drops. Superglue for closing wounds. Have a loved one write something for you to read on your 3rd night out. Gum helps with dry mouth as do honey drop candies. I do NOT hike. Im an old lady. Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
I vote for lighters and baggies crammed tight with dryer lint for starting fires. A tube of glucose tablets for emergency. Homemade trailmix, water purification drops. Superglue for closing wounds. Have a loved one write something for you to read on your 3rd night out. Gum helps with dry mouth as do honey drop candies. I do NOT hike. Im an old lady. Just my thoughts.

That is pretty dang good for an old lady!

When SHTF, I want you with my group!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
in my experience, alas not thru a survival situation but rather a drunken one, hand sanitizer will light and burn for quite sometime. could be used when it takes a little longer for damp wood to catch, if you have a bit in your pack, which could be a good idea anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I never go anywhere in the wilderness without the Permethrin -- one deer tick and you can be toast.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snooze
I never go anywhere in the wilderness without the Permethrin -- one deer tick and you can be toast.

That stuff does have some risks, but yeah it works for that.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd be more inclined to use this stuff.

This info is from a respected herbalist.

===============================

I tested the essential oil that is recommended for ticks, Rose Geranium,
by putting a few drops—no more!—on
our dogs’ collars, to see if it would repel ticks.

Lo and behold, we went from 20 ticks a day on each dog to none.

The second best essential oil for repelling ticks is American Pennyroyal (also

called tickweed).

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable or nut oil (almond oil contains sulfur, a repellent
in its own right) 10 to 25 drops Rose Geranium essential oil

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar; shake to blend.
Make: 2 tablespoons with a shelf life of about six months.

Dab a few drops on your skin or clothing, making sure to avoid eyes.

Caution:

Skip the Pennyroyal if there is anyone pregnant (including pets) in the home,
as it can induce miscarriage. And as always, use essential oils with caution
as they can burn the skin and harm eyes. Don’t use these essential oils around cats.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

I use firesteel and dryer lint. Couple of sparks and you're good to go. Of course, got to have somethng on top of it to get the fire. The reason for the fire steel in addition to the lighter? When ligthers get wet, they often fail. Fire steel don't care! (Magnesium block is a good idea too. It will start damp (not wet) tinder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join