It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Blobs of Mystery Goo Floating Off Alaska Coast - No one knows what it is nor seen anything like

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is very interesting, Alaska seems to be having mysterious things happening right now, first the land uplift, now some kind of goo is floating along the coastline.

No one knows what it is. They say it is not an oil spill or any type of harzardous substance, but it is biological. They have taken samples and have sent it away to be tested.

link to article: www.adn.com...

Something big and strange is floating through the Chukchi Sea between Wainwright and Barrow.

Hunters from Wainwright first started noticing the stuff sometime probably early last week. It's thick and dark and "gooey" and is drifting for miles in the cold Arctic waters, according to Gordon Brower with the North Slope Borough's Planning and Community Services Department.

Brower and other borough officials, joined by the U.S. Coast Guard, flew out to Wainwright to investigate. The agencies found "globs" of the stuff floating miles offshore Friday and collected samples for testing.

Later, Brower said, the North Slope team in a borough helicopter spotted a long strand of the stuff and followed it for about 15 miles, shooting video from the air.

The next day the floating substance arrived offshore from Barrow, about 90 miles east of Wainwright, and borough officials went out in boats, collected more samples and sent them off for testing too.

Nobody knows for sure what the gunk is, but Petty Officer 1st Class Terry Hasenauer says the Coast Guard is sure what it is not.

"It's certainly biological," Hasenauer said. "It's definitely not an oil product of any kind. It has no characteristics of an oil, or a hazardous substance, for that matter.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9087e82489c5.jpg[/atsimg]

No one has seen anything like it before and it has a strange smell

"It's definitely, by the smell and the makeup of it, it's some sort of naturally occurring organic or otherwise marine organism."

Something else: No one in Barrow or Wainwright can remember seeing anything like this before, Brower said.

"That's one of the reasons we went out, because in recent history I don't think we've seen anything like this," he said. "Maybe inside lakes or in stagnant water or something, but not (in the ocean) that we could recall ...

"If it was something we'd seen before, we'd be able to say something about it. But we haven't ...which prompted concerns from the local hunters and whaling captains."

The stuff is "gooey" and looks dark against the bright white ice floating in the Arctic Ocean, Brower said.

"It's pitch black when it hits ice and it kind of discolors the ice and hangs off of it," Brower said. He saw some jellyfish tangled up in the stuff, and someone turned in what was left of a dead goose -- just bones and feathers -- to the borough's wildlife department.

"It kind of has an odor; I can't describe it," he said.

They have not been seeing any dead animals from it and are guessing it may be algae -

Hasenauer said he hasn't heard any reports of waterfowl or marine animals turning up.

Brower said it wouldn't necessarily surprise him if the substance turns out to be some sort of naturally occurring phenomenon, but the borough is waiting until it gets the analysis back from the samples before officials say anything more than they're not sure what it is.

"From the air it looks brownish with some sheen, but when you get close and put it up on the ice and in the bucket, it's kind of blackish stuff ... (and) has hairy strands on it."

Hasenauer said the Coast Guard's samples are being analyzed in Anchorage. Results may be back sometime next week, he said.

The two Coast Guard experts sent up to overfly the area with the borough said they saw nothing that resembled an oil slick, Hasenauer said.

"We brought back one sample of what they believe to be an algae," he said, and a big algae bloom is one possibility.

"It's textbook for us to consider algae because of all the false reports of oil spills we've had in the past. It's one of the things that typically comes up" when a report turns out not to be an oil spill after all.

But, he said, "there's all types of natural phenomena that it could be."

Meanwhile, the brownish-blackish gunk is drifting along the coast to the northeast, Brower said.

"This stuff is moving with the current," he said. "It's now on beyond Barrow and probably going north at this point. And people are still encountering it out here off Barrow."

For the most part, the mystery substance seems to have stayed away from shore.

"We did get some residents saying it was being pushed against the shoreline by ice in some areas," Brower said, "but then we get another east wind and it gets pushed back out there."

I wonder if the uplift and this goo have anything to do with each other. I find it very curious such strange things are happening up in Alaska.

What else will be coming up in the future from there?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think your idea of the recent uplift may have something to do with it. There is still lots to learn about this planet.

star for you

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

good point!
never know what's going to burp up when these geo-eccentricities happen.

i thought this was pretty wild:

From the air it looks brownish with some sheen, but when you get close and put it up on the ice and in the bucket, it's kind of blackish stuff ... (and) has hairy strands on it.

after seeing the recent sewer life form, i wouldn't be surprised at a new form of life to pop up.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Looks like that brown blob mass floating on the lake from the movie "creepshow" lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wow....pretty wild!

Anyone have any idea what it could be exactly?

after seeing the recent sewer life form, i wouldn't be surprised at a new form of life to pop up.

And is that sewer life form legit? I wasn't sure if it was a hoax or not....

Star 4 u!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iTz C1oCKWoRK

Yea the sewer form is legit, but I believe it's been identified as some sort of Tubifex. Still a VERY strange place to find a tubifex, and theyre a little confused on how it got there, and is survivin

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Wicked, I think it is some form of algae, the waters are warming up in that area, so perhaps it is a form of algae that would generally not be located in the area?

I will try to remember to keep an eye out for this next week, sounds like they may have results back by then.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
... with all the melting going on the pole, who knows what may have been frozen for who knows how long and is now showing up...

just some wicked thoughts...

Peace

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Its to my greatest of fears but i persume the substance is a product of rotten stuff, the one that produces methane, which in turn is at least 20 times as dangerous as carbon dioxide...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

The dangers are obvious and i guess very soon there will be people within or outwidth ATS to confirm my observation on this..

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The thing that got me in the article was that the remains of a goose was entangled within the bio-mass. This suggests one of two things...

1. Did the mass devour the goose? If so, what precautions are being taken?

2. Did the flesh of the goose rot away due to length of exposure? This would mean that the mass has been floating about for quite some time...

Just things to ponder.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

The goo and the biomass are inherent to each other...

I have seen it before in the largest lake of my island but in minute quantities, nowhere near what is happening in Alaska which rings bells of alert to me for yet another time.

That goo excrement is colossal. If you see the stuff up close its actually very very disgusting...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just wanted to throw in a thought regarding the uplift and this goo...

I know when utility companies use directional drilling or pipe-bursting technology and the alignment gets too close to the surface, sometimes the ground up heaves from the expanding pressure of the bore...

As for the goo, well a lot of these trenchless technologies use lubricants, and sometimes spring a leak... lol...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
don't algae suck up carbon? that's good thing, I hope...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
And the Goo that "mysteriously" was alien origin started killing off the masses....

I wouldn't get too close to an unidentified liquid.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I do not know if this is what it is ,but in the early 80's I was offshore on drilling rigs and we had something like this come about.

It was not as large but what it turned out to be was what we call money plug!
It is old money that is ground up really fine and then mixed with drilling mud and pumped down the hole to stop a leak in a crack , and this can be toward the surface of the ground, or bottom of the sea.

If this up welling happened then this could be where it came from, as the money plug is not removed after it is put in the drilling hole.
One thing I can say is that by what the are saying it looked like ,being black and with stringy fiber in it then it sound just like what I have seen.
And it rarely every comes back to the surface or is every seen again after it is put into the drill hole.

Don't know if this is it,but I would look to see if there where every any drill holes put near this or the up welling.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I personally think the process of Codex Alimentarius has begun. That poison is going to soon be in every water supply.

And on another note, I believe swine flu was created in a laboratory environment to decrease the world's population.

And on the lighter side, penguins are going to rule the world.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
this was already posted yesterday

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by fprrtp6

why do you think the swine flu was created in a lab - was the same done in 1918 when 50 million died.....

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
it might be joseph prince

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join