It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Lynndie England has been officially charged with Abuse.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The US military has charged a female soldier with abusing Iraqi prisoners, making her the seventh to face charges. Private Lynndie England, 21, is accused of assaulting the detainees, conspiring with other soldiers to mistreat them and discrediting the armed forces.

Photographs of her smiling and pointing at naked Iraqi prisoners have appeared in media outlets around the world.

Six soldiers have already been charged over the alleged abuse. Seven others have been reprimanded.

In one of the photographs, Private England is pictured with a leash tied round the neck of a crumpled Iraqi prisoner.

She has now been reassigned to a military police unit in the state of North Carolina following her return.

Her family says she is pregnant with the child of Charles Graner, another soldier accused of mistreating Iraqi prisoners.

Messages from her hometown
Lynndie was a model soldier who did as she was told.

She must have been ordered to treat the Iraqi prisoners badly.

She must be just a scapegoat for the "higher-ups," who actually gave the orders.

Colleen Kesner, who runs the Corner Club Bar, says all the reservists who are now under investigation, including Lynndie, might have done terrible things.

But they were not acting alone.

Source 1
Source 2

The thread discussing this is found : here

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha

She has now been reassigned to a military police unit in the state of North Carolina following her return.

I hope as a prisoner!

Messages from her hometown
Lynndie was a model soldier who did as she was told.

She must have been ordered to treat the Iraqi prisoners badly.

She must be just a scapegoat for the "higher-ups," who actually gave the orders.

Colleen Kesner, who runs the Corner Club Bar, says all the reservists who are now under investigation, including Lynndie, might have done terrible things.

But they were not acting alone.

Sure there may have been more senior people that are also fault but she looked like she was enjoying it. Whatever happened to teh concept of people being responsible for their own actions?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People from her hometown aren't eager to accept that she would do such things, which is understandable. However, even if she were ordered by someone else to act as she did, she ultimately made the choice to follow through. She's an adult and makes the decision on how to act, and the responsibility for such actions cannot be handed over to anyone else. And, as CommonSense said, she did indeed appear to be enjoying the whole thing.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This story is over 5 months old. Why is she only now being charged? Smells like a cover up, gone bad...........

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Of course, the stuff didn't hit the fan until the pictures made the news. This stuff happened late in 2003. I assume she's been stateside for months.

I'd like to know how she ends up pregnant. Isn't there some kind of rule against fraterization???

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
This story is over 5 months old. Why is she only now being charged? Smells like a cover up, gone bad...........

I really don't think so. It was the army that broke this in the first place. I believe the investigation has been going on since December or January.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yes, that is what Rumsfeld said yesterday to the Senate. He knew about it sometime in January. The President became aware sometime in Febraury.
I would assume she and the others were relieved of duty late last year.

top topics

join