It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defenders of the Faith:Scientists who blast religion are hurting their own cause.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I must be.... otherwise the only other option is what? Can you even fomulate it in your mind as a possiblity? You guys are really slippery. I asked a really simple question.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Reply to post by Wertdagf

No you asked a silly question of people that doesn't agree even in part with your premise.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

No you asked a silly question of people that doesn't agree even in part with your premise.

Ill have to remeber that.... dont ask religious people to awnser any questions with a premise of their god not existing, because they will ignore you.

I wonder if this pitifull logic applies to any other topics.... ooo goody a new watcherintheshadows quote

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Oh joy another twisted misintrepretation of me for you to ape. Do I het to look forward to yet another delightfully vapid empty brained IM about how your "taking my advice"?
So, anyway, how will those things disprove the concept you so hate hm?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

O you know me... its that whole knowing you better than you know yourself thing.

When Human AI is created the understanding of the human mind will come to a point where every electrical impulse is understood. There will be no room for freewill or the concept of a soul.

It should only be about 3-5 more years.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Which means not at all.
Considering you think I am a Christian sometimes. Amongst other things.

That still wouldn't disprove the concept of a soul and how exactly would it disprove free will?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I understand what you are getting at woodward, and it is good that you are open minded in that respect. However you fail to understand that science is incapable of either proving or disproving god. And by making claims such as "if science proves it i will believe it " you are essentially acting as if science was a god of some sort, a higher authority than ourselves. This is not the case. Science is not a higher authority. At its core it is an epistemological philosophy on how to acquire data. You are inadvertently worshiping science because you are looking towards it for philosophical truth and truth on spirituality much like how a christian waits for a response from god in whether or not they should believe in something. Now i am not trying to be hostile with you here and i am not trying to say you are wrong either. You very well may be right in your stance.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

... Again you demonstrate a very unscientific thought process. You can not make that claim without first having formulating and observing experiments that could prove or disprove this. Have you witnessed these supposed experiments that are going to "disprove" The soul and freewill? If you have then i would like to charter your time machine.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

Theres the IBM super computer modeling a cats brain which has obvious inevitible implications, but seeing as how your logic implies that the belief of anything without absolute 100% proof in your hands is ignorant you obviously undermine all religion and yet refuse to gain an imagination.

Trying as hard as you can to deny the inevitible distruction of your fairytale.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Faerie tale? Do you have anything original to say on the matter? I bet that makes you feel powerful doesn't it. I know it does. I was once like you, oh so angry at those irrational illogical theists who couldn't understand that I WAS RIGHT and THEY WERE WRONG ZOMG@!BBQ. Then i actually grew up and ditched the Us Vs. Them mentality and realized we have much more to gain intellectually by banding together to better understand eachothers perceptions of our world, and thus growing closer to the truth.

So what if it is modeling a cats brain? How does that discount the existence of the soul or free will? All it is doing is modeling the physical interaction of information. Information itself is not tangible in the same sense that an atom of plutonium or a graphene molecule is. even the data on your hard disk right now is represented by magnetizing ferromagnetic material directionally. Does that mean that the data does not exist? That it is simply Magnetized materials and nothing more? No, it does not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join