It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Week-Long Cyberattacks May Have Come From Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Link to Stuff

SEOUL, South Korea — A Vietnamese computer security firm believes Britain was the likely origin of last week's cyber attacks that crippled major US and South Korean websites, South Korean officials told Agence France-Presse.

"The (British) server appears to have controlled compromised handler servers" which spread viruses, said Park Cheol-Soon, a network protection team leader of the government-run communications commission.

Wow, just a few days ago, they were SURE it was NK... surely our friends across the pond are not knowingly complicit...

[edit on 15-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
But who?

Shadowy Government ops? Or foreign agents trying to get the UK in trouble?

Hackers? Malicious virus creators?

Who?

Spooky stuff...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
But who?

Shadowy Government ops? Or foreign agents trying to get the UK in trouble?

Hackers? Malicious virus creators?

Who?

Spooky stuff...

all part of the agenda to give the goverments more power and control of the internet to withhild information.

Of course they are going to blame one of the axis of evil for any evil doing, the europeans are squeeky clean and would never do anything bad.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Does anyone know if any of these attacks effected home computers. It sounds like they were just aimed at the gov.

Anyway, my computer began to drag extremely bad Thurs pm, took a long time for me to get it shut down and had to do a system restore.

On Sunday my computer completely crashed saying the OOTMGR was missing and I had to do a recovery to get it running so lost everything.

Then it turns out last Friday, the computers at the place I contract for went down and they lost a day's worth of data.

Could their be a connection or has anyone else had a problem?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Where are you ate liveandlearn? The article was talking about the server in UK controlling other machines...and a previous article talked about the attacks using IPs from a lot of different countries.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I'm in the US, Texas. As it happens I went to a US fed site Thurs following a post at ATS and it was overloaded. This post reminded me and I was trying to connect dots.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
reply to post by KSPigpen

I'm in the US, Texas. As it happens I went to a US fed site Thurs following a post at ATS and it was overloaded. This post reminded me and I was trying to connect dots.

I'm a lonestar transplant myself. Your difficulties, although unfortunate, are very interesting. The fact that you mentioned a fed site before your issues would make the case a lot more believable, but it would be pretty difficult to determine any connection, without logs and such.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
Does anyone know if any of these attacks effected home computers. It sounds like they were just aimed at the gov.

More than likely...yes. A botnet used for a ddos would require a significant amount of compromised PC's, the vast number of which would be home PC's. Given most home users are lazy and careless odds are good that many of these home 'contributors' would have provided the horsepower to carry this out. The home PC's themselves I doubt were the intended targets but tapping their resources collectively and targeting US sites of interest would definitely have been the objective.

I've noticed on a major solution provider for intrusion prevent systems that signatures of late are knee deep in bot detection, hardly a surprise but interesting.

brill

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Great reply!!! Thank you very much for helping us understand that a little better.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Thanks. My little research seems to make it a vista problem.

To the OP, sorry, I seemed to hijack this thread. I will be more careful in the future.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Nope...ur cool man. I appreciate it. Feel free to step up any time. That's what it's all about.

new topics

top topics

join