It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Liberty Quotes That Strike a Cord.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here are six quotes of liberty, from resilient men, that make a lot of sense to me.

I know these may not mean as much to you as they do me, so feel free to add your own liberty/freedom quotes that mean something to you, since we as a global community are slowing losing whatever liberty's we once had.

Without further delay, I give you six quotes, that strike a cord.

"The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it."
Woodrow Wilson

"Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others."
William Allen White

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

"When Policemen break the law, then there isn't any law, just a fight for survival."
Anonymous

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

I look forward to reading your opinions on the matter, and the quotes that hold a significant meaning to you.

[edit on 7/16/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Good Quotes, maybe this one would fit too (less about freedom, more about common sense):
If you turn your swords into plowshares, you will plow for those who didn't.

Seems to be pretty relevant in the current world.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here's one I always liked:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Sadly, the wolves are now voting to take the gun away from the lamb. We will then be voted into the oven. While I appreciate your posts, I'm beginning to get the sinking feeling that they are now just quotes and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

Spot on. Spot on.

link   
i personally like

"the tree of liberty must occasionally be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots" Thomas Jefferson.

i was sort of expecting it to be here. nice quotes nonetheless

link   

Originally posted by Swordbeast
If you turn your swords into plowshares, you will plow for those who didn't.

That is a beauty, glad you liked the quotes, thanks for the contribution.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
i personally like

"the tree of liberty must occasionally be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots" Thomas Jefferson.

that is definitely a great one, its nice to be reminded of it, that is exactly why i asked for people to post there own. thank you.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
Here's one I always liked:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

i have never heard that one before, quite symbolic, i like it! thanks for the contribution to the thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police will be more effective, and the world will follow our lead into the future." -- attributed to Adolph Hitler

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We, and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." -- Franklin Roosevelt

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Some great quotes. Thanks for the thread!

Here are some I'd like to add.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. 
George Washington

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. 
James Madison 

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit. 
Kahlil Gibran 

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. 
Plato 

A free America... means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call democracy is only an expedient to enslave man to the machine and make him like it. 
Frank Lloyd Wright 

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. 
Andre Gide 

Not necessarily all about "Liberty", but they certainly strike a chord with me. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did yours.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

hey eMachine, thanks for making such a large contribution to the thread, you obviously put a lot of time and thought in to your post.

great quotes

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Oh, I often dig through quote websites and copy them into a file on my computer. So I just had those ones, ya know, laying around waiting for an opportunity to share them.

Glad to be of service!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
"Liberty can be delayed, but it cannot be denied. " ~ George W. Bush

"Goverments produce conformity without agreement, and markets produce agreement without conformity." ~ Milton Friedman

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I still have (sort of) a problem with this thread.

The quotes are great, but I still must submit that they seem to be just that - quotes. Mere words. I wonder how many people out there really would act upon these sentiments. To me (sadly) they seem like a lot of dead sentiments from dead people.

Don't get me wrong OP, I'm not trying to dismiss what you've started - I'm just wondering if it isn't just sad remembrances at this point.
I hope your post stirs some fire from the embers, but I am beginning to think that the fire is slowly dying out.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
I still have (sort of) a problem with this thread.

The quotes are great, but I still must submit that they seem to be just that - quotes. Mere words. I wonder how many people out there really would act upon these sentiments. To me (sadly) they seem like a lot of dead sentiments from dead people.

Don't get me wrong OP, I'm not trying to dismiss what you've started - I'm just wondering if it isn't just sad remembrances at this point.
I hope your post stirs some fire from the embers, but I am beginning to think that the fire is slowly dying out.

Man i totally get what your saying, i don't take is as disrespect, it feels like taking action is something that died a long time ago, hardly anyone actually stands up, but its hard everything takes money and time, if you have money, you have a job where you work all the time, so you don't have the time, and you get the 2nd halve of the argument i'm sure.

it effects all of us (except a lucky few) and i fear it may be our greatest downfall.

new topics

top topics

join