It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TinWiki: Bigfoot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Bigfoot, Sasquatch, or sometimes Skunk apes, are a cryptozoological species rumored and well-believed to exist in North America. Bigfoot is often tied with other supposed species of similar creatures around the world, including the Yeti and Agogwe amongst others. Tales vary depending on the region of North America, but the general description is the same. Skunkapes are generally considered to be found in Florida, while Bigfoot ranges through most of North America.

Description

Sasquatch/Bigfoot is said to be between 6 and 9 feet in height. Though descriptions say that the foot of a Bigfoot is not actually large in proportion to the body, the creature got its name due to the large footprints it supposedly left behind. Covered in thick brown, black or sometimes white fur throughout most of the body, Bigfoot is considered more ape than man. Bigfoot is said to be usually peaceful with humans and is supposedly an omnivore who is aware of uses of herbs and plants for illness and ailments. The Southern Bigfoot are said to whistle and scream to each other at night for communication and hunting. Large numbers of night sightings suggest that Sasquatch is nocturnal.

Footprints

There have been many cases where people have found the large footprints of what are thought to be from the bigfoot. They are generally found to resemble human footprints, except they are much larger. If the footprints are not man-made for the purpose of hoaxing, then it can be assumed in many cases that the creature that made them are quite large. In 1958 and 1959, Bob Titmus found several tracks in the area of Bluff Creek, California, later to be made famous by the Patterson / Gimlin film footage. In 1988, wildlife biologist John Bindernagel found many tracks, some of them 16 inches long. Most recently, on the Science Fiction channels television show called "Destination Truth", host Josh Gates found a large track in the Himalayas.

Odors and Sounds

Many people who claim to have had close encounters with bigfoot say that there is quite a stench associated with the creatures. The smells have been described as a cross between that of a skunk and rotting meat. In one case a man by the name of Sean Fries claimed to have such a meeting in June of 1988. He said that something woke him up one night while camping, and that when he went outside he was assailed by an unbelievable odor. He says he believes sasquatch was nearby.

Sometimes people claim to have heard the sounds of bigfoot. They say the noises are not like anything heard in nature. Some people say that the noises are different for different geographical areas. There have also been claims made that people have heard these creatures communicating with one another with a series of whoops and chirps.

Areas

Bigfoot is said to be found in several areas of North America, the most well-known being in the Washington/Saskatchewan area. Oregon and northern California are generally considered to be hot spots as well. Texas is said to hold Bigfoot that are generally territorial and violent, as opposed to the Washington area's more peaceful variant. Florida and Georgia are known for sightings of extremely similar creatures known as Skunk Apes. The Ohio/Michigan area is said to be a major hot spot, although sightings are rare. Ohio Sasquatch are said to be hunters who will use pack methods to attack and kill deer. It is said that Southern Michigan Sasquatch extremely dislike dogs and kill them on sight. Supposedly, Ohio and Michigan variants are capable of rudimentary English, composed of grunts. There is much more physical evidence in the Texas and Washington areas than anywhere else, with as many photos in the Florida region as in the other areas.

The Patterson - Gimlin Film

On October 20, 1967 Robert Patterson and Robert Gimlin filmed what they claimed was an actual Bigfoot. This film has been at the center of a maelstrom of controversy ever since. Robert Patterson swore what he had seen and filmed that day was a real creature, until his death in 1972. Robert Gimlin has also maintained that he saw the creature as well that day. Although he did admit in 1999 to a television producer from the BBC that it was possible that Patterson could have fooled him, but that if he had then he really knew what he was doing. The creature filmned has a feature called a sagittal crest. This is a bony mass on top of the head, and is seen in gorillas. Another feature of the creature in the film is that it has large, hair covered breasts. Some skeptics have argued that this proves the film is a hoax, because nether humans nor chimpanzees have hair covered breasts. Another thing that skeptics say is that the crest is only seen in male gorillas, and that this fact also means that the creature cannot be real. However some proponents that say the film is genuine say that we cannot apply these standards to an unknown beast that we know almost nothing about. There have been many studies done trying to see if it can be a person in a costume in the film, but to this day nothing has been proven conclusively. In the film different muscles can be made out on the creature, and it is argued that there was no way that costume makers of that time were making anything that sophisticated. However that point is argued over as well, as it is pointed out that costumes were used in the "Planet of the Apes" movies.

Theories on origins

There are many and varied theories proposed by believers, as to where the creatures come from. The most popular theory is that the creatures are an undiscovered branch of ape species. One theory is that bigfoot is the survivors of a giant ape that lived in ancient times, called Gigantopithecus blacki. These apes were native to China, but it is well known that many creatures migrated to North America via the Bering Strait. There are those who say that the creatures cannot be Gigantopithecus based on the Patterson film. They point out that in some of the frames the beasts lower jaw can be seen, and that it is much thinner than the Gigantopithecus blacki. That is of course assuming that the Patterson-Gimlin film is authentic.

There are other theories as well, although much less popular. Some say that bigfoot is a cave dwelling creature that is mostly nocturnal, and only comes to the surface to look for food. Others say that he is an interdimensional creature. They say that sasquatch phases in an out of our reality, and also that it is a highly intelligent being. These theories may explain the lack of proof or remains of bigfoot, but have little to back up the claims grounded in reality.

The case for bigfoot

The only proof that we have of bigfoot is eyewitness testimony, and some photographic / video evidence. Unfortunately most of the pictures of it are blurry and out of focus. And eyewitness testimony does not stand up under the scrutiny of scientific method. There have also been some cases where hair has been collected as well as some dried blood. Although none of these has ever pointed conclusively to the discovery of a new species of animal. Another argument that skeptics point out is that there have never been any remains found. If there was a, albeit widely scattered, breeding population of giant apes scattered across North America and Asia, it is conceivable that some remains should have been found. Proponents of the intelligent creature theories say that perhaps they dispose of the remains in some method, not unlike the way humans do. Another, more plausible theory for this is that the remains are just lost to predation and the elements. Playing into this theory is the idea that bigfoot is a solitary creature that actively avoids meetings with human beings.

External links

3TV Exclusive: Bigfoot caught on tape - By Scott Davis, 3TV/azfamily, June 27, 2007
Bigfoot Field Research Orginization
Bigfoot: Fact or Fiction
Bigfoot: Cover-ups.com
Bigfoot Hoaxes

Relevant discussion threads on AboveTopSecret.com

Bigfoot a HOAX
My theory of why Sasquatch is never captured nor bones found
The biped photos.........
The Bigfoot Yeti does exist
BigFoot Caught on HuntTV Stealthcam
How does Bigfoot stay hidden?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hi nice post I'd flag it if I knew how.
Ok well I was watching the Gimlin Footage today and had a thought........The bigfoot had breast so they assume its female.....but what if its the missing link spoken of in this video I've seen on youtube
www.youtube.com...
Could they be Asexual (agamogenesis) with telepathic powers to control animals which explains how the bear hasn't killed them outright.
More than likely they are Subterranean Bipedal creature thus why they aren't seen often. Are there many pot holes in North America etc.?
Just a few ideas enjoy.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

Glad there are tothers still interested.

I'm going to throw my new theory up in the air and see if it sticks on something.

Its my belief that the animal in question here is no doubt BIG, and its my new theory..well I say mine, I'm sure the real smart ppl have thaought of this before me!

I think this animal has the same charactoristics and habits as the ...beaver...
Yes haha laugh it up, but to me it makes a lot of sense, by traveling in the water it would not need to hide..so to say..
The water would support the huge weight, that the animal is thought to be.
This would also allow the animal to traverse large distances without getting noticed. Slipping in/out only for extreme needs.

I can just see the loopholes, in the way we are looking for this animal, for the nocturnal, creek wonderer, to be able to evade thermal cams and game trail cams, and by using the creek after dark, only us lone coon hunters, and the occasional, camper, or overnight fisherman might be so lucky as to stumble onto this critter by accident.

I'll end on that note, there are just too many things that line up with this way of life and ability to remain....hidden.

ETA... As for remains and such, I see no reason to find them, you can try as hard as you want, but Im giving BIG odds 99% of ppl could not find a bear carcuss. Deer horns ...same story, reason...the small animals nibble on them, eat them, salty and vitamin rich, same as, "give a dog a bone"

As for the mating and other theories, I think its back to the beaver theory, and that they mate for life,or are completely solitary and nomadic/unless with child. But I tend to think they stay within a comfortable terittory is MHO. Maybe two or three teritories and could migrate up/down the larger rivers ie..Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Colorado, Columbia ...etc etc

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hi
If its unexplained i try my best to look into it.

Maybe, but surely it would of began loosing its hair if it had been used to traversing streams and rivers. Human once had a simular coat but when we began to Fish for our food if evolutionist are to be believed we lost most of our body hair.
Plus the bones Issue (remains) if they are a solitairy Ape-like Asexual creature then they would not bury their siblings but would have there own (maybe teritorial) part of the cavern system they dwell in.
If you were Telepathic you wouldn't want to share your head with others, your head would buzz.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I live in the Alien Run government lol UK
So I don't know what the cave systems are like in North America Are there many? I know here in the UK it is a bit of a hobby to go Pot Holing(going down into cave systems that stretch for miles).

[edit on 23-1-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

Yes there are many many caves here, but its my opinion that would be too obvious or like running into a dead end knowing you have no way out.
The animal, if real, would be smart enough to not do that and get trapped in a cave.
Marvel cave
Fantastic Caverns
Maramac Cave
Crystal cave
Those are just a few of the local publicly known caves , there are 100's most likely 1000's more.

Humans like caves, its known and proven even throughout historical means, I can't see this animal going anywhere near a cave, it would be the 1st place it would get found, and/or a human would go for cover, from a storm or heat/cooling affects.
Caves here, I assume like all around the world are a mild 60 degrees F year round.

I'm stuck on the creek, water idea, and get loose of the idea.

There would be no reason to think that by being in water it would loose its hair or have any reason to.

This theory just....bang... hit me all of a suddon, and it just let all the reasons for the creature being elusive, and such just fall into place without the need for wild theories about multi-demensions, and/or bigfoot is an alien and such.
I can see this creature, stealthy as an aligator, slow and well thought out, times of movement, not to mention most all rivers creeks give a much much higher ammount of seclusion to begin with.

Just holed up sleeping by a log in the sun, it makes too much sense, most all the reasons for, not being seen/found can and do fit this theory.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ok if it wouldn't go deep into the cavern system how about a multi terrain. It feeds and migrates along the rivers and streams and sleeps in the caves. He/She could of been around for thousands of years and longer working to create this migratory path, where the human habitats are how to avoid them etc etc. What if he had simular senses to a deer? It can smell predators from a distance on the wind? and hear them.
So lets take Gimlin He's behind him next to a noisy river. Gimlin was he just extremely lucky to be down wind and masked by the rivers noise? But then Bigfoot turns did he catch a smell or hear Gimlin running with his camera. Looks like he looks discounts it then continues on his way.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good post!, If your interested in this you need to check out an interview with Lloydd Pie later tonight on Paranation. It airs tonight at 11pm
(August 18th)
Paranation Is a show where you can justify your eccentricities, See the world through different eyes and learn things that no one has dared to teach you before, be sure to check it out!.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I love all of these Bigfoot posts along with all the differing views. I am not sure what the question is here, but from my own sighting I will say this:

I saw Bigfoot 10 feet away for 5 seconds, eye to eye. midday at my house in Alaska. They might be nocturnal in ways, this one seemed to be out on a daily trek. Came in from the northwest and left in no hurry north- northeast.

Big, yes, 8 to maybe 9 ft tall. Large prints left almost in a line (in 3 inches of hard snow) The head was large- 10 ti 12 inches wide and did not have a pointed top, but not flat either. There was no mask- as in the Patterson footage.

The California Bigfoot may be dark or black, but this one was light and dark brown. Medium hair on the whole face with a flat nose. His mouth was parted a half inch as he took 3 easy breaths. I did not see his teeth.

He turned away just as I started to back away, so I saw it take 3 steps.
When he turned his whole upper torso along with his head- turned at the same time.
Three things that bother me about the Patterson Footage is:
The lack of hair between the brow and the lip.
The Bigfoot I saw did not lift it's feet up behind it.
The buttock moved independently with each leg with each step.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tribble
I love all of these Bigfoot posts along with all the differing views. I am not sure what the question is here, but from my own sighting I will say this:

I saw Bigfoot 10 feet away for 5 seconds, eye to eye. midday at my house in Alaska. They might be nocturnal in ways, this one seemed to be out on a daily trek. Came in from the northwest and left in no hurry north- northeast.

Big, yes, 8 to maybe 9 ft tall. Large prints left almost in a line (in 3 inches of hard snow) The head was large- 10 ti 12 inches wide and did not have a pointed top, but not flat either. There was no mask- as in the Patterson footage.

The California Bigfoot may be dark or black, but this one was light and dark brown. Medium hair on the whole face with a flat nose. His mouth was parted a half inch as he took 3 easy breaths. I did not see his teeth.

He turned away just as I started to back away, so I saw it take 3 steps.
When he turned his whole upper torso along with his head- turned at the same time.
Three things that bother me about the Patterson Footage is:
The lack of hair between the brow and the lip.
The Bigfoot I saw did not lift it's feet up behind it.
The buttock moved independently with each leg with each step.

Amazing!
Not a lot of action here in 2010.
These days there would be all kinds of haters trying to tell you that this is all connected with tunnels and pipes carrying oil to make Mexicans rich and Americans poor.
But bigfoot font care none for this world stuff.
Bigfoot will always be out there. He was there before us and he'll be there after us.

top topics

join