It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ganzfeld experiments,sensory deprivation,and psychic/telepathic ability?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
First, pardon me for not being an expert on psi phenomena. I think this is the first time I've ever posted in this area and so may not be that well versed in the field's terminology (though I have read the supposed army documents that relate to remote viewing).

I'm writing because I recently ran across mention of so-called 'ganzfeld' experiments and their reported connection to some of the more significant experiments in psi/telepathy... and would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with something like it.

Basically, researchers looking into things like telepathy found statistically significant results when they conducted trials where two subjects -- a receiver and sender -- were each in a state of sensory deprivation (read the wikipedia link below for information on the specific trials). This 'went along' with some other research that hinted in the direction of looking towards 'altered states' (sleep, hypnosis, etc) for what is arguably proof of genuine psi ability.

Now... beyond just wanting to know if any of you guys have tried to communicate with someone under similar conditions... I'm interested in the implications of this... if it is real. For instance: Could one conclude that what we think of as empirical sensations/awareness is just a localization of overall consciousness? Is it possible that the mind -- as an EM field produced by the brain -- is always picking up the effects of others' minds, but that it can only filter their 'signals' when it isn't processing information itself?

en.wikipedia.org...

comp9.psych.cornell.edu...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by onlyinmydreams

What an interesting thread. I would think many more would be interested. Thank you for posting.
I will try to get the time to try this out. I hope everyone will share their experience with this.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

First, pardon me for not being an expert on psi phenomena.

Few are.

Compared to the man on the street, I am an expert. I have read many parapsychology papers and books.

I'm writing because I recently ran across mention of so-called 'ganzfeld' experiments and their reported connection to some of the more significant experiments in psi/telepathy... and would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with something like it.

Yeah Ganzfeld is interesting. But I think that the presentiment line of experimentation is more efficient and interesting.

Now... beyond just wanting to know if any of you guys have tried to communicate with someone under similar conditions... I'm interested in the implications of this... if it is real. For instance: Could one conclude that what we think of as empirical sensations/awareness is just a localization of overall consciousness?

Yeah maybe, like a continuum of consciousness, as William James said.

"There is a continuum of cosmic consciousness, against which our individuality builds but accidental fences, and into which our several minds plunge as into a mother-sea or reservoir." - William James

Is it possible that the mind -- as an EM field produced by the brain -- is always picking up the effects of others' minds, but that it can only filter their 'signals' when it isn't processing information itself?

Sounds possible. I mean, we know that psi goes on under the threshold of conscious awareness, so...

new topics

join