It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TinWiki: Bermuda Triangle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The Bermuda Triangle (also known by the more sinister name of The Devils Triangle) is a triangularly shaped area in the Atlantic Ocean located between Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Puerto Rico, and Bermuda.

The Bermuda Triangle was first given its infamous name by the writer Vincent H. Gaddis in the year of 1964. Gaddis wrote a story in a magazine entitled "The Deadly Bermuda Triangle", a story drawing upon hundreds of years of seaman's tales and legends about the Devil's Triangle and the unexplainable vanishings of ships and planes that have occurred within its boundary.

Bermuda Triangle Specifics

The Bermuda Triangle has long been known as a place of inexplicable happenings. In the fifteenth century Christopher Columbus made an entry in his logbook regarding "A great ball of fire" that is said to have crashed into the ocean. He also stated that while this event was taking place his compass was going haywire and his crew was reported to have seen strange and spectacular lights in the sky above.

The Bermuda Triangle's notoriety grew over the years as a vast amount of odd incidents occurred inside its boundaries. One of the most famous is the disappearance of the entire crew of the ship The Mary Celeste in 1842.

Some of the incidents which gave The Bermuda Triangle its reputation for strange occurrences took place more recently. One famous case was Flight 19, which was part of the well-known film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". On December 5, 1945, five U.S. Navy planes known as "Torpedo Bombers" took off from Fort Lauderdale on a routine flight practice and were never seen again. A rescue crew of 22 men was sent out to look for the planes, only to vanish themselves without any trace.

The Bermuda Triangle has claimed many other ships as well, including the USS Cyclops, and the SS Marine Sulphur Queen, which vanished in calm waters with all of her crew of 39 men.

Strange Facts

There was absolutely no wreckage ever found of the ships and planes that vanished in the Triangle. There have been search teams put together consisting of the latest technology and specialized equipment but no remnants have ever been recovered.

It is also noted that those unfortunate people who vanish inside The Bermuda Triangle have never sent a distress call or taken part in any kind of SOS plan.

The Bermuda Triangle is proven to be one of only two places on earth where a magnetic compass does point towards true north. A pilot by the name of Carolyn Casico flew a charter flight to Turk Island. She was overheard on the aircraft radio saying this: “I don’t understand, this should be Grand Turk, the shape is right but this place looks uninhabited." She circled around the island a few times before heading out to sea. Carolyn Casico was never heard from again.

It has also been noted that before radio contact was severed with flight 19, all that could be heard was the pilots screaming, "FT.....FT" over and over again. FT is U.S. Air Force code that is printed on all Air Force craft to designate where the airplanes come from. (FT means Fort Lauderdale.)

Skeptic's Thoughts on the Bermuda Triangle

Many skeptics think that these strange happenings are results of inexperienced pilots and/or captains; others say they believe it might be freak weather such as storms, tidal waves etc., and others believe that the vanishings were not even in the Bermuda Triangle at all.

There is also the fact that methane gas might play a part in this phenomenon It is scientifically proven that methane eruptions can disrupt ships buoyancy, causing it to sink. These eruptions occur all over the Atlantic and produce vast areas of frothy water, sometimes even causing other floating objects to sink. This is also a reason a plane could go down over this area as methane gas lowers the density of the atmosphere. A plane's altimeter depends on air pressure and density to determine its height, so a plane's instruments will show the plane is climbing, even if it is actually descending. At night this could lead to deadly consequences.

Another point in the methane field bubble theory is that it can cause planes engines to shut off.

Freak tidal waves are said to happen around this area as well. These waves can reach upwards of 20 to 30 meters (100 feet) high and are capable of sinking large ships within a short span of time. Scientists have proven that, although rare in this area's current, it is possible they can happen due to the methane gas pockets and eruptions, sinking a ship at great speed and with little difficulty.

Opinions

Could these strange goings-on have something to do with the government or aliens? Or is it merely an unexplained phenomenon? What about desertion? To our knowledge this is unknown but perhaps someone out there has the answers.

External Links

Official Bermuda Triangle page
Navy info on The Bermuda Triangle
A skeptical page on The Bermuda Triangle
A history of The Bermuda Triangle

Relevant Discussion Threads

The Bermuda Triangle
Traveler to the Interior of the Hollow Earth
The ghost blimp
Free Energy
Atlantis found ?
Australia's Bass Strait.. - The new Bermuda
id like some info about Atlantis
The Hollow Earth Theory
The Philadelphia Project- It really happened
The Philadelphia Project. Truth or Myth?
JB1 Vs OIMD: The Bermuda Triangle
Jedi City
Who knows Anything About the Bermuda Triangle?
Methane bubbles could sink ships
is the BERMUDA TRIANGLE a inter-dimensional travel gate?
Atlantis and the bermuda triangle

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Nice Post......Nice amount of facts......

I like the fact that none have ever sent out a distress call as to what was happening or an sos or any recent coordinates as to where they are .......

All of them

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I have a theroy. I think there are three tringles. Since there are 3 poits. Plus i fond a second triangle.
I am still working on my reasearch. I will make a thread with my info as soon as i can. Add me to keep track of my progress. Now i must go post 19 times.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great thread.

Came across this interesting factoid about the myth of non-disproportion:

Myth:

“A check of Lloyd’s of London’s accident records by the editor of Fate in 1975 showed that the triangle was a no more dangerous part of the ocean than any other. U.S. Coast Guard records confirmed this and since that time no good arguments have ever been made to refute those statistics. So the Bermuda Triangle mystery disappeared, in the same way many of its supposed victims had vanished.”

Fact:

This is completely false. Lloyd’s does not insure the smaller stuff, so all yachts go unreported and uncataloged in statistics. Lloyd’s seldom insures the smaller charter and private aircraft, so likewise for them. Lloyd’s is not the ultimate source. It is not a marine investigation bureau. It reports on sailing news relevant to insurance.

US Coast Guard SAR (Search and Rescue) statistics for all districts are published yearly in a thick voluminous report. This details the statistics for calls of assistance, causes of accidents, weather, deaths, conditions, whatever. However, missing vessels are not readily included. In reality, the designation Overdue Vessels are more important. But because it is hard to determine the number of people on board and exactly where the vessel last was, “missing” or “overdue” cannot be easily calculated. They may be catagorized under “caused by other factor” if at all. I have just received a list of vessels from the 7th district after 12 years of asking for and being denied missing vessel statistics, always receiving the reply “nobody tracks such statistics.” For the last 2 fiscal years this includes about 300 vessel names or types. And now I must start my search, to see which reported back to port (if any), what the weather conditions were like, etc.
The Coast Guard is not even capable of accurately determining the numbers, and therefore could never have conducted a study. What they probably did was comment on the popular notion that 20 aircraft and 50 ships are missing. That number was bandied about incessantly in the 1970s and is still in the Encyclopedia Britannica. This number is not extraordinary for 100 years, though it is more aircraft than elsewhere over seas.
NTSB database searches reveal that in the last decade only a handful of aircraft disappearances have occurred off New England while over 30 have happened in the Triangle. These are American statistics only, and do not reflect other nationalities.
Then there are those who claim the disparity is due to the Triangle’s greater amount of traffic. In reality, the 1st Coast Guard district answers about just as many calls for assistance as the 7th, but the number of disappearances is still remarkably different.

www.bermuda-triangle.org...

Theres also this interesting article which seems to debunk the 'methane bubbles' theory:

In the early 1980s, geologist Richard McIver published an article in the AAPG Explorer suggesting that methane hydrates — a crystalline solid of methane gas and water, similar to ice (see sidebar) — on the ocean floor could break apart and release giant methane gas bubbles that could cause ships or airplanes to sink or explode. The article was sort of tongue-in-cheek, Dillon says, but the explanation for the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle struck a chord and quickly propagated through the media. And because most geologists might go so far as to say it is conceivable, Dillon says, the explanation has stuck around, despite some inherent flaws.

Methane hydrate is located in great volume all over the world, mostly on continental margins in the ocean or in permafrost in the Arctic, in places where the cold sea or land temperatures and extensive pressures hold them stable. Mapping has shown vast hydrate deposits off the East Coast of the United States from New Jersey to Georgia, although few, if any, in the actual area of the Bermuda Triangle, Dillon says.

“While hypothetically I think bubbles could release and cause boats to sink, the likelihood is so remote that it just can’t explain” the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle, Hutchinson says. To sink a ship, it would have to be floating at just the right spot at just the right time. Furthermore, she says, as remote a possibility as it is that one boat would encounter a bubble and sink, the probability is even lower that such a phenomenon could cause more than one disappearance.

Another problem with the methane hydrate explanation, Durham says, is that methane gas released from a trap below the hydrate deposits would likely dissolve in the ocean water before reaching the surface. And, Dillon adds, if disturbed enough to break apart, the deposits themselves would likely float to the surface and then very slowly release gas, not in an explosive bubble.

www.geotimes.org...

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
I like the fact that none have ever sent out a distress call as to what was happening or an sos or any recent coordinates as to where they are .......

LucidDreamer85 - one pilot managed it.

Heres the recording and transcript:

The Disappearance of flight N3808H, Puerto Rico, 1980

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8838bcf99047.jpg[/atsimg]

Location. Mona Channel, Caribbean Ocean near Puerto Rico

Date: June 28 1980 Time: 2003

At 1810 Jose Antonio Maldonado Torres and his friend, Jose Pagan Santos, took off from Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic in an Ercoupe aircraft marked N3808H.
The Ercoupe was owned by Santo’s father Jose Pagan Jimenez, an Aero
Police officer in Puerto Rico.

They were bound for home in Puerto Rico. At 2003 the Las Mesas radar site and several aircraft picked up radio transmissions from N3808H:

“Mayday, Mayday, Ercoupe ocho cero, eight zero, zero, Hotel. We can see a strange object in our course, we are lost, Mayday, Mayday.”

An Iberia Airlines flight IB-976 en route from Santo Domingo to Spain responded to the Mayday and received a reply:

“Ah we are going from Santo Domingo to ah San Juan International but we found ah a weird object in our course that made us change course about three different times we got it right in front of us now at one o’clock, our heading is zero seven zero degrees…our altitude one thousand six hundred a zero seven zero degrees…our VORs got lost off frequency…”

Iberia Flight IB-976 then relayed a message from San Juan Center asking N3808H to turn on their transponder.
N3808H replied that the Ercoupe was not equipped with a transponder. At 2006 Iberia IB-976 asked for their call sing and estimated position and received this reply:

“Right now we are supposed to be a about thirty five miles from the coast of Puerto Rico but we have something weird in front of us that make us lose course all the time I changed our course a second (unintelligible) our present heading right now is three hundred we are right again in the same stuff sir.”

They were not heard from again. At 2012 the Atlantic Fleet Weapons Range verified the last radar position of N3808H as thirty five miles west of Puerto Rico. A search that included Santos’s father was then mounted which centered on this last radar position. It was discontinued after two days when no trace had been found. No trace was ever found.

Recording of last words from pilot Jose Pagan Santos:

UFOs,USOs and the Island of Puerto Rico

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Interesting 'magnetic cloud' account from 1908:

1908 Coast of Delaware.

The English ship "Mohican,"piloted by Capt. Urghart, was going to Philadelphia when it was surrounded by a thick, luminous cloud which "magnetized" everything on board. The compass was observed to swing wildly. When seamen tried to move some chains on the bridge, they found that they were glued to the metal floor. Suddenly the cloud rose and was seen above the sea for some time.

The Magonia Database

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
What explains the Bermuda Triangle?

Air France 447 mystery, LOST, and The Bermuda Triangle
www.examiner.com...

Did AF 447 crash over the Bermuda Triangle?news.oneindia.in...

While the Brazilian and French authorities have expressed pessimism over finding any survivors, latest news reports say that the debris that were found by the Brazilian Air France on Thursday, Jun 4 is not that of the crashed Air France Flight AF 447.

In the late 70's I sailed at night through the Bermuda Triangle to Bimini on a 37 foot sailboat with one other person. Not sure I'd have gone if I read all this beforehand.
this was an awesome video and somehow I think fits in with the explanation for this mysterious region of the earth

This is a reiteration of the OPs original statement and commentary (for those who'd like to watch instead of read)

There is a vortex here in the B. triangle and an abundance of life - a conglomeration as shown in the first video.
It's almost as if the planet really does have a drain...this explains the super abundance of life. In the whirlpool, spinning down it will collect creatures, like the sink collects morsels of food.

Not a very glamorous analogy! But I wonder what might happen next if these planes and ships HAVE gone down a worm hole.
Are they frozen in time? Will they come back?

This is a provable phenomena which if as true as it seems to be - actually opens up so many more questions than it answers.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join