It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of flags

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
Lug

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I'm trying to get enough flags so I don't have to see the ads

So that's the reason people are always begging for flags in their threads.

Flag me, please! Oh, yes! More!

I flag whatever I think is important enough to see it hit the banner and the newsletter, but to flag so someone else gets ad-free browsing is a little strange.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

When someone asks for a flag and a star for their thread they get neither from me.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

yup same here i dont like beggers, to get a flag and a very rare star from me the thread has to be very special in my eyes anyway it has to have: informative content for there argument/point, and laid out well, even if the point is against what i belive i will still s&f them if they have done the research and brought forward decent points etc

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
There are many (not all) long-time members who filter worthy threads by not flagging or even responding despite the well-thought out or link-worthiness so that they end up at the bottom of the list. I think its just another social clique that some of us are not a part of. Check the profiles of the members who reply to many-flagged threads and you'll begin to get the "big picture".

Nah, I don't think this is true. As evidenced by the fact that *I* am able to get flags - hundreds of them even!!

Muhahaha!!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hey you! I'm not pointing out any particular member or length of membership. Please accept my apology if my perspective was offensive to you.

Oh no worries!
Im not offended at all

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

YES! That has happened many many times to me. And the thread ends up getting 252 replies. And all I can do is sit in front of my computer and bang my head off the keyboard.

I THINK THIS CALLS FOR A TEAM UP!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

Definetly true. I thought ATS was one of the places I could come where the whole clique idea didnt exist. And not long after being here I noticed it was definetly not the case.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
reply to post by MajorDisaster

Definetly true. I thought ATS was one of the places I could come where the whole clique idea didnt exist. And not long after being here I noticed it was definetly not the case.

I am really not sure how people can see this. I have been here quite awhile. I have a huge huge list of friends, am a MOD and my threads bomb most of the time. I do not get lots of flags. Why? Probably because I suck at making threads with great topics and presented well.

If there was in fact a conspiracy of flag giving, I would think I would have tons of flags by now, based on what people think is going on

[edit on July 15th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I dunno, for me I only flag threads that have really given me either:

A) Something to think about thoroughly.
B) Some new information I was not aware of.
C) Has discussion in it that makes me change me view on a certain subject.

I see flags as a growth thing, I give them to people who have helped me grow and I expect other's to give them to me when I've either shown some outsounding writing in an OP or some outstanding research in an OP.

But everybody does things differently. I agree that there aren't enough flags to go around lately, but mind you I don't give them out very often either I guess.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Of course their are cliques on ATS, u2us being sent "Hey flag and star my thread and I'll do yours". But that is a small portion of the community from what I have seen, plus those members usually only end up with like (at most) 10 flags anyways. I think the majority is really just based on the communities overall opinion of a thread. While I say that I see nothing wrong with sending a few u2us to some friends letting them know of a thread you made that you think they might like however, but I NEVER ask for flags and stars, that is just lame.

I really do not think these cliques exist to the size that some think they do, it is a small minority on here at worst IMO. Generally if a thread is well presented, researched, and a decent topic you will get many flags---and that is what they are for, to bring attention to well deserving threads, not just any thread that sounds good and is nothing more than a story with little evidence. Also I am sure some people (as stated in this thread already) flag just because they have a bias towards said threads topic. Things always get noticed, especially on a place this big so I would not worry IMHO.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

If there was in fact a conspiracy of flag giving, I would think I would have tons of flags by now, based on what people think is going on

I too have been here a long time and I don't so much see a conspiracy of flag giving as a conspiracy of favoritism by some of the mods for their friends, in allowing some threads to remain in a place of honor while an identical thread posted even earlier is dumped into BTS to essentially be ignored. Perhaps that's not actual cliquishness but it does seem conspiratorial.

I know, MOD's are people too.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined

Well sure there are cliques on ATS, but I don't think there's some big conspiracy to give some members lots of flags and deprive others of flags.

If that were true, "Yummy Freelunch" would be the ultimate mastermind of ATS, and I don't see that at all

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've seen flags on threads that I don't think are worthy of it, no matter how many they already have. I've flagged a few in the past to give them a little bump though. I feel I don't need to anymore. I guess I've calmed down a bit. I also feel that many threads just have bad timing to start with, just like some movie releases.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I guess I've calmed down a bit. I also feel that many threads just have bad timing to start with, just like some movie releases.

And that is a major player in the whole flag aspect IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I think the system the way it is, is correct. Flags, stars, and replies are separate and it is up to the reader to decide. Now, if flags are somehow manipulated by the mods, then that is a different story. I do not believe that this is the case even with my lack of flags of which I obviously deserve

Personally, I star if it resonated with me and I flag if I think you should read it. Turns out that most of the time if it resonates with me, I think you should read it!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

If I find a post I really like, bias or not, i'll star it, even if it's good in opposition, it's starred.

Now flags are harder to earn, if there is work put into it, and honest thought, research logic non bias put into it it gets a flag.

I think all my threads, and posts have been rightfully flagged and starred appropriately.

Although I could care less about the ads really?

I see them anyways in my email spam

I like the responses I get, i'd rather have 1,000,000 replies, then have 10 flags. Honestly.

Ats'ers have serious opinions, and I can't get enough of em, screw the flags and stars, it's the opinion that matters. you can read it, see it and interprate it, you can't read or understand a flag really???

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think the ATS decision to stop members flagging their own threads has sent this on a downwards spiral.

Now we can't even mark our own posts.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

that was IMHO to stop people going back and ` necro flagging ` every thread theu authored , just to bump thier flag count

it SHOULD go without saying , that the thread author thinks his own thread is important

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

This is all interesting, because I

Flag posts which I think are important and should be read by others.

Star posts which I either completely agree with and I would have written myself or posts which are well written and researched.
But some posts are so great I wish I could double star them.

It seems I am quite generous with stars and flags, but why not they are free! I also think it helps to encourage people that they are writing something worthwhile.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I flag threads based primarilly on two things...if I like the Original Poster's political, phillosophical, and moral stance based on the Threads they author and the posts that they make as replies to other Threads I always star and flag their Threads when I run across them as a way of encouraging them to be active on ATS.

I also flag member's Threads who are new and have very few flags to their credit as a way of encouraging them to keep posting and stay active on ATS unless...they are someone who is an absolute opposite on my political, phillosophical and moral stance.

If I decide I like you I am going to flag and star just about everything you write or post even if I personally think that post or thread is meaningless.

If I decide I don't like you I will still flag an important issue you may have started a Thread on, or if you finally wrote something, anything that I can agree with!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join