It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of flags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I look at some quite popular threads, but many have few flags.
After reading

Shouldn't Hottest Forums List Be Based Upon Replies?

I was wondering that if you feel a thread is important enough for you to waste your precious time in writing a reply, why isn't is important enough to flag?

flag threads you feel are important or interesting

Surely you should flag a thread if you post a reply?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Well different members follow different 'guidelines' for flagging and starring, just has certain staff and FSMEs follow different guidelines for what they will applause. Some are very liberal, while others are very conservative. Just because I write a reply in a thread does not mean I will flag it, what if the thread is a hoax or something ignorant? While the reply may take a minute or two to write I am still not going to flag or star the OP if it does not warrant it. Flags are meant to bring attention to threads, and that is what I personally use them for. You are correct in your observation of some good threads not getting flags though. This happens in my opinion usually because while they may be good and well researched they just do not interest people, or the thread was posted at a bad time. I am flagging this thread because I think other members have this question as well, and hopefully a flag or two can bring this thread to the attention of those with questions and they can offer their opinions as well.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Many talented writers on this site do not believe in the flagging system or the stars. I can fully understand their views.

I personally flag threads where someone has spent a long time researching and its nice and clear and concise. I don't always reply to threads I flag, I just prefer reading, like this one for instance.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Different strokes for different folks.
We all have our own way of doing it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There are many (not all) long-time members who filter worthy threads by not flagging or even responding despite the well-thought out or link-worthiness so that they end up at the bottom of the list. I think its just another social clique that some of us are not a part of. Check the profiles of the members who reply to many-flagged threads and you'll begin to get the "big picture".

I flag posts that I think are worthy of discussion which may not reflect anyone else's viewpoint. Sometimes I'll flag a thread that I want to follow the discussion.

It is interesting to see some ridiculous threads receive double-digit flags and makes me think twice about the subject. Usually, I just follow what interests me. Sometimes I'll let the OP know I flagged their thread, sometimes I don't.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I flagged this thread. What does that tell you?

So next time you see my threads.................
I'm trying to get enough flags so I don't have to see the ads but I still have quite a ways to go so please be generous. After all it's just a little click O dee mouse.

Oh yeah, about the ads.....
Leave the one up that has the picture of the babe with large breasts. I like that one.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I never flag anything. It's not due to me being lazy i just never flag any thread this for me make's the flag this thread option a waste of space.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Personally, I consider the flag to be the highest honor that we can give eachother. I respond to many threads that I do not flag and I flag many threads to which I do not respond. It's based on the content. I am much more generous with stars. Flags are reserved for threads that are especially informative, important, well thought out and superbly presented. From time to time, I will flag something that I feel passionate about even if it doesn't meet my general criteria.
I believe we all have our individual methods in our flag usage. I don't simply flag my friends just because they post something, although I am sure there are some ATS'ers that do just that. Hopefully it's the exception and not the rule.
Stars on the other hand I will give if I find something entertaining at all, regardless of content. To be honest, I do spoil people I like with stars....not flags though because I feel that wouldn't be fair. Stars are more like saying, "hey, i can dig that"! Again this is just MO but I'm sure many people are similiar in this regard.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well for me personally i flag a thread that i think deserves the adequate atsers opinions, i give out stars if i feel that the person has put alot of thought , info and well researched their ideas.

But as has been previously mentioned a lot of people have their own way of doing things, iv had some threads that i have had an applause for but very little flags etc it can be a little bemusing but i understand that people have their own way of how they give out their S&F's

[edit on 013131p://54071 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
I think its just another social clique that some of us are not a part of. Check the profiles of the members who reply to many-flagged threads and you'll begin to get the "big picture"

Uh-oh. That sounds like a conspiracy. on ATS.

It's funny to read the different ways flags are dispensed, or not...

I also like to flag something that I think other people should read. (It's probably good we can't flag our OWN.
) Cuz my stuff is REALLY important and EVERYONE should read it.

I think it's easy, just like life, to get caught up in whether or not we're being rewarded for what we do. I've decided that yeah, I would also like to not have ads, and even have some fancy label under my picture thingy telling everyone how awesome I am, but I'll be just fine without it.
I also won't tell you when I star and flag...but I do.

I guess if you have a bazillion of those things, it doesn't really matter, but it IS kinda cool getting a flag.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

I definetly agree. I always try to make threads and when I find a big headline to turn into a thread, someones always already gotten to it =[

Everyone feel bad for me.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
With everyone's different approaches to flag and stars...I'd guess the numbers balance themselves out. I often flag threads that I don't post on. Frequently I flag threads by members I like that don't get the attention I feel they ought to....recognition and encouragement.

The observant might notice the lack of flags some of the rational skeptic threads receive. It's likely that some members feel treacherous flagging a member who's frequently pointed out an error in an OP

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
Surely you should flag a thread if you post a reply?

err NO

flagging a thread means you think it is important

replying means you have an opinion

a big difference

you must realise that people reply to threads they think are hoaxes , contain incorrect information , or just plain disagree with

i do not agree with your OP - so no flag from me

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
There are many (not all) long-time members who filter worthy threads by not flagging or even responding despite the well-thought out or link-worthiness so that they end up at the bottom of the list. I think its just another social clique that some of us are not a part of. Check the profiles of the members who reply to many-flagged threads and you'll begin to get the "big picture".

Hi Hazelnut ... I'm a little confused as to what you mean here.

Are you saying that folks are conspiring to not flag or post in threads?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I flag based on . . . [usually]

1. How substantive, convincing, interesting the thread is, to me.
2. Whether the person seems to be rational, objective, have their facts in a row, be sincere etc., or not.
3. Is there some example of extra courage, pluck, strength, insight, etc. in the thread's OP?
4. Does it contribute meaningfully to the topic/subject area.

One of the above is sufficient, usually. I think I'm moderatly generous with flags but it needs to be for something significantly interesting to me, at least.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I do not believe there are any cliques that are conspiring regarding this flag issue.

What is a flag worthy thread is in the eye of the beholder. What I may deem flag worthy, another might not. I often flag threads - and I am the only one who has flagged it. Whilst many times I see a thread with a zillion flags - and I never flag it.

I also do not flag a thread JUST because I respond on it. My response nor my reading of the OP is not dependant on whether or not I think the OP was well thought out, well researched and well presented. And sometimes I flag a thread that I never respond on because I think it deserve its, but I have nothing to add to it.

At the end of the day....its just a flag. I promise - life will continue on if a thread does not receive enough flags or one receives too much

[edit on July 15th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Jess I only thought that happened to me.
Worse is when I see a news item, don't post because it seems unimportant and someone else does.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Great post, I have never thought about it that way.
This thread has really opened my eyes.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I think there is a social clique. I have been messaged by other members asking for flags for their own threads, which they feel are important.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hey you! I'm not pointing out any particular member or length of membership. Please accept my apology if my perspective was offensive to you. My intention was to state a personal observation.

It has been robustly agreed that to each member, flagging and starring is a personal thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join