It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian activist 'found murdered'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Russian activist 'found murdered'

news.bbc.co.uk

A prominent Russian human rights activist, Natalia Estemirova, has been found dead in the North Caucasus.

She was bundled into a van and abducted as she left her home in Chechnya on Wednesday morning, a colleague said.

Her body was later found in neighbouring Ingushetia with wounds to the head, according to the Chechen interior ministry.

Ms Estemirova had been investigating human rights abuses in Chechnya for the Memorial group.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.rawinwar.org

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I did a little digging, because the story didn't say much as to why she may have been killed, and i came up with this little snippet from an article about her:

"During the armed conflict between the Russian Republics of Ingushetia and North Ossetia in 1992, Natasha helped bring refugees to safety and helped free hostages. During the first war in Chechnya, Natasha collected numerous testimonies from civilians who were tortured by the Russian forces in unofficial detention facilities, the so-called “filtration camps”. She produced a TV series and wrote articles in the Chechen newspapers about the prisoners in those camps."

It may have been because of her anti-Russia stance, and her persistence in highlighting the atrocities of the Russian forces. Could have also been because she worked against Russia in the post cold-war era, freeing hostages and, again, making light of their human rights abuses.

Seems like she got pretty harsh treatment for playing devils advocate.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm very confused- because the article names her as "Natalia" but your excerpts refer to her as "Natasha"...

In any case, this is sad news indeed that helping people can be so dangerous.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I just posted a thread on ATS about this too.

I am afraid this lady has joined a list of lawyers, journalists and human rights activists critical of either The Kremlin or alleged human rights abuses in Chechnya who then end up dead.

I would say she was probably killed and dumped in the neigbouring Republic to Chechnya, as it would look worse if she was found dead in Chechnya, having been critical of what is happening there.

Russia and the pro-Kremlin regime in Chechnya will probably blame Chechen insurgents or "criminal elements."

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Of course, those criminal elements would be...?

Another hero gone.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Made a thread before yours but you added more info so i think mods should lock mine.I dont think it was the Russians in all honesty.But like all these sorts of cases the information is all over the place and people tend to never find out.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

its very weird indeed. Im not sure if its a cultural thing, but i have found her being called three different things.

Natalya Estemirova

Natalia Estemirova

and...

Natasha Estemirova

though they are certainly the same person. Or at least identical in every aspect

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Of course, those criminal elements would be...?

Another hero gone.

Whoever the Kremlin and the pro-Kremlin regime in Chechnya consider to be criminal elements, of course.

The scapegoats can vary, depending on who will be the most convenient scapegoat.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2

its very weird indeed. Im not sure if its a cultural thing, but i have found her being called three different things.

Natalya Estemirova

Natalia Estemirova

and...

Natasha Estemirova

though they are certainly the same person. Or at least identical in every aspect

My guess is that 'Natalya' is the correct spelling of her name, 'Natalia' sounds like how someone not familar with Russian name spellings may spell 'Natalya' if they heard her name by ear.

Her name written as 'Natasha' is probably an editorial mistake by whatever news source states it as such.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Regensturm]

new topics

top topics

join