It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 earthquakes near New Zealand 6.1 and a 7.8

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Oh and I had to laugh at this comment on twitter

TheMissionMan: so much for the tsunami warning. i lay on the beach with my surfboard for two hours and nothing happened

And wow, twitter is fantastic for finding realtime news, much better than MSM

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
Tsunami warnings cancelled now

www.news.com.au...

UPDATE 10.05pm: FEARS of a tsunami striking Australian shores have calmed after an earthquake generated only a tiny wave.

All is well

phew

it was supposed to take around two hours to hit. that must be it

well i hope.

its a little bit bigger than the last one they had, it was ten cms!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Hahaah, how awesome. Where I live in the USA, the sea water is brown and waves are low, so surf boards are out of the question. Looks like that guy really makes something good out of rather bad things. Guess tsunamis are given a bad name? Hahaha

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Caught a talkback caller saying that the main quake he experienced was 30 seconds long and the biggest one he can remember, but similar to one about 5 years ago.

Hope all is well in Aussi.. got some grandparents on the goldcoast!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bryan LaVergne

Good news on that, I think Tsunamis earned and confirmed their bad name in December 2004 by kill 260,000 plus people.

Please remember folks a 17cm wave off shore is something completely different when it hits the beach. I am speaking from 1st hand experience, on 26th 2004 I was less than 1/4 of a mile off shore from the west coast of Phuket on a 130ft boat. I had an ocean view of the destructive power of Tsunami waves. The boat was in 30 metres of water, the wave approached as a black very fast moving line on the water, it wasn't more than 6 inches high. It wasn't really a wave as such more like a step in the water. By the time it reached the 10 metre contour line of the sea floor approaching the beach, it was 6-8 metres high and still growing.

[edit on 15/7/2009 by who-me?]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Center tells BNO News that a 25 cm tsunami struck the coast in Tasmania; no word on damage

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Here I am hangin' out about 5kms from the Sydney coast, and I don't hear about this until it's canceled.

I actually only found out about it after logging on to ATS and seeing it in the recent posts area. I'm not far from the CBD - there were no warnings at all (aside from what appeared on online news sites). Aussie's are fairly blasé when it comes to warnings of any kind, but this could have been serious.

What's funny is that my parents just flew in to visit from the US - they usually call me from there and alert me if they hear about tsunami warnings on the news (while we're asleep here). This time I got to tell them face to face while they were getting ready for bed. They were a little freaked out obviously, good thing it never amounted to much.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
hmm Well the Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Center is saying that the warning is still in place at least for another hour,

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Didn't the shape and slope of the beach have alot to do with the size of it as well though ?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius

Aussie's are fairly blasé when it comes to warnings of any kind, but this could have been serious.

Perhaps next time they should say due to a Tsunami warning beer will be rationed to 1 beer per two people, i bet that would place the media n a frenzy.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Yes the slope makes a massive difference, shallow flat beaches, Kao Lak just north of Phuket, Kamala and Patong on Phuket got it worse. Surin and Nai Harn beaches both also on Phuket are relatively steep and got off relatively un-scathed.

In Kao Lak there is a Thai Navi ship which has been turned into a tsunami monument. It was deposited 3km inland. It was anchored half a mile off shore!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Think of the havac when the quakes
reach 15 and 20 .

Unlikely we'll see too many of them.

Not when a magnitude 12 quake would quite likely split the earth in half.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii warned that a tsunami was generated, but it later said the waves were less than 8 inches (20 centimeters) in height and the warning was canceled after about an hour

From AP

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I have been keeping a watch on all this and I do feel as if something is occuring under our waters on this Planet.

On the 12th of this month a smallish 4.0 19 miles off the Coast occured and giant squid washed up on the beach on San Diego, Cal.

On the 13th a small 3.2 hit LA and it was centered right under the airport runways.

Now this 7.8

I'm waiting for the three monsters I had flashes of ....Brazil to Africa Mid Atlantic Ridge but I don't think they will be now.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
That was an awesome quake

I live in Queenstown, about an hours drive from Te Anau.

Definitely the longest (about 30 sec) I have ever felt. Not sure about the most powerful. I freaked my mates out by telling them you carefully crazy peeps here on ATS warned me of a massive earthquake that was to hit NZ. They all bolted for the doorways it was classic

How far off shore was the 7.8 quake???

That was a fun ride I want go again

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Could there be a corrilation between the sun spot activity and the earthquakes?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

If I remember the numbers correctly, an earthquake happens every 6 seconds. Two or three 8+ quakes a year is about normal.

There are not more quakes, just better dissemination of information thanks to cable news and the Internet.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Could there be a corrilation between the sun spot activity and the earthquakes?

Not likely.

The sunspot activity is and has been low for some time. Aurora activity is very low. There was a thread about some Astronomer in Australia a few days back about a giant flare that was completely wrong. Never happened. They are predicting a weak cycle this time (over the next 11 years). If I recall he claimed the largest sunspot ever which was not even in the ballpark of true.

Like I posted before, these very natural events are not more frequent or unusual its just that with cable news and the Internet people are getting more information and misreading that.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

man that sounds spooky

sorry for the one liner but that tsunami was bad 6inch then 10 meters pft scares the pants of me when i think about something BIG happening because if that can happen then mother nature can really get miffed

Thanks for your story/facts

now i wont be able too sleep

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This quake aligns with the transantarctic mountains, across the antarctic..

See south pole quake image South pole quake view

Now how about another one at the Ross ice sheet?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by seataka]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join