It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 and 5.8 quakes off the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
We are fine down here. Hardly any damage to buildings etc in the South Island. I am from Auckland and didn't feel it up here.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The main news has said nothing about it since, seems like a warning that did not end up being a disaster, must take some force then for the like of the 2004 tsunami.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dometheus
Any other links to real Earthquake tracking?:

www.iris.edu...

PS Your Avatar is too big

[edit on 15-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I PREDICTED AN EARTHQUAKE ON JULY 17TH ON THE WEST COAST A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO WHEN THAT GIANT SQUID WASHED ASHORE IN SAN DIEGO. WATCH AND SEE!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
And the hits just keep rolling ! 5.4 5.3 5.1 all within the last hour and a half.

Maybe there is a new island that's going to be made over there!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

lol! no it's just me letting off a bit of ... erm ... hot air.

i live in Invercargill which is the closest city to the centre of these quakes. the big one lasted over a minute for us and felt like we were on a tiny boat in high seas.

at first i thought "wow, cool, earthquake". then when i didn't stop i though, "ooh, crap, earthquake", and rushed to brace my fridge and china cabinet while the kids dashed for cover under doorframes. and then when it still didn't stop, i ran to post online to see where the epicenter was.

within moments enough other kiwis had posted for me to figure that we were getting the brunt of it so that was a relief. had it been felt so strongly down here yet come from the top of the country ... well ... that woulda been bad.

we're still getting shaking today ... i feel sea-sick.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by ll__raine__ll]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
And the hits just keep rolling ! 5.4 5.3 5.1 all within the last hour and a half.

That is pretty normal for after shocks. If you look at the past 10 years you will see EVERY DAY has at least TWO 5.0 or higher quakes and if you look at the list in active regions like the Aleutian Islands in Alaska some days you can see over 100 per day

The 7.8 will most likely be downgraded by tomorrow when all the data is in

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bf55e1bd739.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 15-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Surprised me to hear of this morning on the radio...

...I live in Wellington, bottom of the North Island...didn't feel a dang thing...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Looks like it wasn't as bad as first thought.....

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

apparently our soil density, sparse population and strict building codes helps lesson damage. *touch wood*

that said, the big one was bad enough, in a lot of other countries it would have been massively destructive. it hasn't been downgraded either ... 7.8 it is and it sure felt like it too, lol.

we're still being hit by 5's during the last couple of days, it's a pain in the a** but oh well. i read once our capital city shook for months on and off last century ... hope that's not gonna be the case here.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perseus Apex
A close examination of seismograph data may reveal whether or not this was a natural phenomenon or a man-made one directed by the NWO for their own purposes.

Uuuh, I'm pretty certain that it was a natural 'quake.
We have thousands of earthquakes a year in New Zealand, the majority are nothing to be concerned about, but every so often along comes a doozie like this.
Natural through and through.
If the NWO wanted to make a quake to send a message then why would they choose one of the least populated places to run it?
Natural, through and through.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

Well..... i'm glad that it didn't do the damage it could have done.... and don't worry about those aftershocks.... they could add to your night time fun & games ; )

Take care over there.......

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

i cant believe that i missed this thread ,,

was there a tsumani?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
wow, according to this the quake moved New Zealand 12" closer to AUS.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by derekvli
wow, according to this the quake moved New Zealand 12" closer to AUS.

news.yahoo.com...

Yes, there's always something bad associated with Earthquakes.....and this after we spend more than 80 million years trying to get away!

Just glad that it occurred in a sparsely-populated area. We shouldn't rest on our laurels however because this probably wasn't "the big one" which will hit sometime. Basically it's just reconfigured the stress vectors.

www.stuff.co.nz... 168/Our-Australian-cousins-just-got-closer
plate deformation

[edit on 22-7-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Another earthquake has occurred in New Zealand in Te Anau, a 4.7 just this morning.

nz.news.yahoo.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join