It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 and 5.8 quakes off the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

www.seis.sc.edu...

Global Earthquake Explorer

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

2009-07-15 10:46:18 - Tsunami - New Zealand EDIS CODE: TS-20090715-22385-NZL Date & Time: 2009-07-15 10:46:18 [UTC] Area: New Zealand, Southern Island, Jackson Bay, Confirmed Information! Description: Tsunami has been observed in Jackson Bay, Southern Island, New Zealand following the M7.8 earthquake. The wave height was 17 centimeter. Other information not available.

Not sure if this is bad or not so bad?

Fingers crossed!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for that...... i've just downloaded it......... hope it's safe!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

AP NewsAlert

12 minutes ago

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Pacific Tsunami Warning Center: Quake off New Zealand causes potentially destructive tsunami.

AP NewsAlert

12 minutes ago

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Pacific Tsunami Warning Center: Quake off New Zealand causes potentially destructive tsunami.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
in.reuters.com...

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - An earthquake struck the south of New Zealand on Wednesday, triggering a tsunami warning and causing minor damage but no injuries.

The Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences said the tremor, measuring 6.6 on the open-ended Richter Scale, struck at 9.22 p.m. (0922 GMT).

The government institute said it was centred in the remote and unpopulated Fiordland region, about 150 km north west of the country's most southern city, Invercargill. It was measured at around five km below ground level.

Local civil defence officials issued a warning about a "potential tsunami" for the region, because of conflicting reports about the quake's size. The Japanese meteorological agency put the preliminary magnitude at 7.8.

"We've had big differences in the measurements of the quake, ranging from 6.6 by GNS Science, to 8.2 by a tsunami warning centre in Hawaii -- we're issuing a precautionary message," the national civil defence centre said in a statement.

Local media said the quake was felt widely throughout the lower South Island, sending goods falling from shop shelves, but said no injuries were reported.

"It was quite a large motion, the whole house was moving, the door was moving in the doorframe, and the fence posts were moving," Invercargill resident Simon Wilson told Radio New Zealand.

New Zealand scientists record around 14,000 earthquakes a year, of which around 20 top 5.0 on the Richter scale.

The last fatal earthquake in the geologically active country, caught between the Pacific and Indo-Australian tectonic plates, was in 1968 when an earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale killed three people on the South Island's West Coast.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Just checked TV here in Sydney and theres no breaking news or anything so i'm assuming we're safe

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
There was an eq off the coast of La Jolla , Ca about a day and a half ago and resulted in squid washing ashore. Never in all my days as a Ca'er have I ever heard of this. Could it be a "Ring of Fire" related event or something else? Hope everyone in NZ is safe and well.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Here is a thread of webcams throughout the pacific to watch for tsunamis. It is dark there right now - www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can see the ocean from this one - because there is some light in the harbor in Fiji.

www.fijiwebcam.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Fiordland quake measures 7.8
Pacific centre cancels tsunami warning www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Ahh, I love ATS, a thread already!

There is a warning current for much of south eastern Australia, with warnings for people to get out of the water (night swimming anyone?).

www.abc.net.au...

The weather bureau has urged people to get out of the water and move away from the coast.

"People in areas with threat to land inundation and flooding are strongly advised by emergency authorities to go to higher ground or at least one kilometre inland," a Bureau statement said.

"In areas with a threat to the marine environment only, emergency authorities advise people to get out of the water and move away from the immediate water's edge of harbours, coastal estuaries, rock platforms and beaches.

"Tsunami waves are more powerful than the same size beach waves, with the first wave not necessarily being the largest."

A 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck off the south-west coast of New Zealand's South Island at 7.22pm (AEST).

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I was driving from the Bay of Plenty to Auckland when it struck, so probably wouldn't have felt it unless it was much bigger or much closer. But I'm just wondering...

Originally posted by BarneyRubble

2009-07-15 10:46:18 - Tsunami - New Zealand EDIS CODE: TS-20090715-22385-NZL Date & Time: 2009-07-15 10:46:18 [UTC] Area: New Zealand, Southern Island, Jackson Bay, Confirmed Information! Description: Tsunami has been observed in Jackson Bay, Southern Island, New Zealand following the M7.8 earthquake. The wave height was 17 centimeter. Other information not available.

A 17cm tsunami?? Are they serious?! How would they have recorded that?? That's most likely smaller than the monitor you're looking at now.

I am currently less than 5 m above sea level, beside an estuary in Auckland harbour. I guess I'd be safe then if we got a 17cm tsunami, let's just hope it wouldn't be any bigger...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It was just on the news in Melbourne, Australia. There is an alert warning for a tsunami on the east coast of Australia. That was on SBS as breaking news. They said that no evacuations were needed. And the New Zealand warning had been lifted. So nothing to worry about.
All the best to the people of NZ.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Not sure you understand how a Tsunami works. They generally rise as they reach the shallower areas near to shore. In addition, they aren't just a "wave" in the traditional sense, more a "block" of water rushing in one direction.

They don't ebb or relent.

Lets hope nothing comes of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I was just browsing my favorite website on my phone and hovered over this thread. My heart raced while I rushed to turn on the TV and find the news stations (I don't like the news stations, but needed confirmation)I found CNN and sat there for a minute. I noticed one after another "Homocide in Mexico 12 Dead" "Plane Crash in Iran 108 killed" "Explosion in China 1 Casualty 100 Injuries" "Earthquake off the coast of New Zealand"

Wow! Talk about crazy! At least it doesn't seem too bad at the moment.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The thing is, if there was a bad tsunami that hit the shores, the deaths would be of people who simply didn't want to get out of the water.

Hell, I'm tempted going to the beach right now for a swim.
The ocean's great at night.

You can only hope people think again and realize that it would actually be dangerous to be in the water, as opposed to "it's best if you don't go in the water".

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Australian east coast on tsunami alert
news.ninemsn.com.au...

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology says Tasmania, Victoria and NSW could be hit by waves on Wednesday evening following the quake off the southwest coast of New Zealand's South Island at 7.22pm (AEST).

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
A small tsunami is heading towards Australia.Sky News
/m9wh3m

Australia' After NZ Quake
Breaking News

12:29pm UK, Wednesday July 15, 2009
A small tsunami is heading towards Australia after an earthquake in New Zealand, Australia's weather bureau has said.

"We have issued a tsunami warning," Chris Ryan from Australia's Tsunami Warning Centre told reporters.

The alert followed an earthquake measuring 6.6 on the open-ended Richter Scale hit the neighbouring island.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103

Not sure you understand how a Tsunami works. They generally rise as they reach the shallower areas near to shore. In addition, they aren't just a "wave" in the traditional sense, more a "block" of water rushing in one direction.

They don't ebb or relent.

Lets hope nothing comes of it.

I know how a tsunami works. What made you think I didn't? The post said that a "tsunami" occured in Jackson Bay, which would have been close to the shore. At 17cm. A 17cm rise in water would be less than if a low pressure system went over the area, so not a lot to worry about.

It's safe to say I'm not too worried.
Cheers

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Depends on how fast it was moving.Could be traveling at 500mph.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

It'd be interesting to see if squid weren't the only aquatic species prone to act unusually after an earthquake...I'd be too precatious to swim just yet as it could be your last if a humungous swarm of jellyfish or great whites determined to head for the shallower waters. If I knew that I was anywhere near tsunami territory I'd be sure to note the location of as many possible floatation type implements as possible in ADVANCE!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join