It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Magnitude 8.2 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
* Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 09:22:32 UTC
* Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 08:22:32 PM at epicenter
Location 45.635°S, 166.418°E
Depth 31 km (19.3 miles) set by location program
Region OFF WEST COAST OF THE SOUTH ISLAND, N.Z.
* 172 km (107 miles) WNW (299°) from Invercargill, New Zealand
* 189 km (117 miles) WSW (249°) from Queenstown, New Zealand
* 318 km (197 miles) W (273°) from Dunedin, New Zealand
* 830 km (516 miles) SW (232°) from WELLINGTON, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 9, Nph= 9, Dmin=337.8 km, Rmss=1.13 sec, Gp=126°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1
* West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS
Event ID at00764975
* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Originally posted by greenfruit
Geonet now report the quake only 6.1 and a depth of 5Km
No reports of damge, some power outages.