It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fellow ATS members, I am scared....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I read how bad things are and I find myself laughing. Not that things aren't bad and I am not amused at you, just at how life worked out.

Just a few short years ago I was homeless, as in just released from a mental ward, wife and kids left me, had no friends, family, job, or money homeless. It was bad. Then I went through a drug phase and lost the job I did get. Finally got back on my feet and got a job at $10/hr 3 days a week. After rent and electricity I sent everything else to my kids. $60 every 2 weeks. That is right $60 every two weeks and that was every penny not on bills. I don't even have a car. I didn't buy food I used food stamps and food boxes. No clothes, shoes, got free toiletries. OK so now I am up to 4 days a week and $10.25. Life is actually looking better for me. And I must say that the timing is what makes me smile. I have a crappy job, I get payed barely enough to live on, I have to make decisions on what I can go without again this month and it is all so much easier then a year ago.

Anyway long story short, I am not laughing at anyone, just laughing in general because I KNOW that I can make it. It is exilerating and makes me giddy, like nearly being swept off a cliff. The key word being nearly. I would love to be able to pass the feeling on to you but I can't. I can just say hold on, you can make it. I believe this, I know this, those of us that have already passed through the fire can only look back and say "Trust us".

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Symbiote

If you stop poisoning your brain with garbage, it leaves you with more time to try and do things that are actually constructive like looking for work, starting a business, writing your congressperson, attending public events or church groups, and generally networking with people.

Ok, wait just a minute Mr. Symbiote, I have started a non profit agency in my community for individuals with disabilities and I am building it from the ground up. I go to school full time and have a 3.8 GPA. I go to church, I teach a Sunday morning class for pre teens and a Wednesday night class for pre teens. My husband and I have a large garden on my mother’s family farm that we tend to so I dry, can and freeze produce. I have an active 12 year old daughter who has activities I get involved in. Um let’s see I help take care of my dad who is not in good health as well as my mother in law who is not in good health. I have a large home near town that I keep spotless and we have a huge yard that we maintain ourselves with one herb garden and five heirloom plant gardens. We have a pool that we maintain ourselves as well as two water features that I maintain, plus two dogs; a Rocky Mountain Bassett Hound and a Miniature Jack Russell. So I think my time is spent very constructively thank you very much. What have you done lately?????

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Histopherness; No offence taken, I understand. I am sorry about what hard times you have seen and it makes me sad. God has put you through all of this to be a light for someone else.

Please everyone understand that I am not poor right now, yes my income was cut like crazy but my husband and I have done pretty good, to be so young (I am not bragging, we work very hard) and we were smart and owe for nothing but our home, so as long as we can pay the mortgage and electric bill we are fine. I just simply see what the future holds. My OP was made with the intent of saying that when I go to the grocery I see prices going up. There are no jobs, and when some do come open many people are applying because they are out of work. I see more and more violent crimes in the paper as well as stealing. The government is trying to pass a financial reform giving the Feds power over our financial system and I have a hunch they will implement the Pope's recent financial reform when this passes. Obama was on the news today stating that it would pass because he would do whatever it took to pass it. This means one more step closer to a NOW or a One World Order. So I feel like I am watching a train wreck and cannot do a darn thing about it.
I am not feeling sorry for myself; I grew up poor, like in a shack with black paper on the outside with no air or heat, water or stove. We cooked in an electric skillet and carried water in. So I can survive, my fear is that our Nation is falling and that is sad and scary. There are many people who are going to suffer terribly. There are so many people with disabilities and the elderly that cannot take care of them selves. I fear for them not me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
it's like if Paris Hilton lost all her money and had to live a middle-class life. It's an absolute panic, and I guess you have to make the most of it.

I think we will still have a lot of our luxuries, and we'll realize that this problem is just paper. The people who own the debts will never get paid anyway.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Its the end of the world as we know it... and I feel crap!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by halfmanhalfamazing]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun
reply to post by Melissa101

I'm living on a tight budget too. Why did you buy a big bag of Splenda? That last time I looked at that it was about $8.00. Just go to a convenient store, buy a small cup of coffee, and grab a big handful of the little packets.
And, drink water, not expensive soda.

Good luck. As long as you can eat 1800kcal/day, drink water, and stay indoors somewhere, you will wake up another day to live and try again.

Great Advice. I would make one small correction. 1800 cal/day is great for right now. If SHTF, then our plan is to ration down to 1000 cal/day for the first week or two. This way our food store lasts longer, we have the fat stores to make it in the beginning, and we will have a much clearer synopsis of the situation after a week or two of being in the muck of it!

Great advice on the Splenda as well. This is exactly how I used to get mine when I was single!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snooze
I find it's not the food which kills my budget (I cook a lot of scratch meals). What gets me are the hair products, feminine products, dog food, cat food, kitty litter, TP, paper towels, vitamins, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, contact solution (4 contact wearers)... This kind of stuff is always as much as my food bill!

That is an expensive part of the food bill, and a critical concern if SHTF!

These type of things can't be grown at home, and they may not be available in stores. Either stock up, or learn to do without this stuff now, while you have options!

My dog ate Greenbeans for a week once! He didn't seem to mind. Hair products and dishwasher soap probably won't be needed, but contact solution, and feminine products are probably essentials that you should plan ahead for. Maybe keep a couple of months worth in reserve.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Why are you buying Koolaide, Pop, and sugar if your so poor???

Learn to shop better and spend your moeny else where.

A bag of potato's and a dozen eggs would have been more healthy, cheaper, and last a hell of a lot longer than the 3 forms of sugar you bought.

Anyways, enough of the lecture.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by MrSmith]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote

Originally posted by Melissa101
2 twelve packs of Diet Coke with Splenda
1 large bag of Splenda

I think I know the root of your problems. It is in your personal habits. The things that you choose to do are reflected in every aspect of your life.

Second: Sell your television.

O.k., that one may have been a shocker. Stop reading for a moment and let your enlarged heart recover before you have a stroke.

Have you recovered? Good. Now, television is garbage. It makes you stupid and passive. Television is for stupid people.

Repeat this to yourself a few times:

Television is for stupid people. American Idol is the devil. CSI is for morons.

You may not watch much television, and if you don't then that is good. But I am assuming that you do, because if you had any inclination to turn off the television and read then you probably would not be poisoning yourself with fake sugar.

Take symbiotes advice. Selling your tv would be a great way to save money and increase your real intelligence, not the socially main stream intelligence that leads to people to desire to live a "life" that essentially has them pouring their hard earned money into iPhones, music cd's/downloands, and going to the theatres to watch mind retarding films.

TV is a very hard habit to break. Before I had a job and was in high school, I would go home every day wand watch hours of prime time tv. Then, when I began college and worked in a factory 3pm to 11pm 5 days a week, I realized I didn't need it. Also, the few times I have tried to watch a full episode of a sitcom, I hear my brain saying read a freaking textbook or something and quit wasting time.

Anyways, selling your tv will save you money, or who you live with, money every month. Most packages are 30$/month, plus about 15$ in taxes (at least where I live). So, that would be at least 40$/month more, which is 10$ a week.

With 10$ a week, you could buy much of some cheaper and natural foods: beans, butter, eggs, canned food, potatos, un fluoridated water, and so on.

I'm not directing this post at the thread creator, just people in general with financial problems. There are many ways we can spread our money around, take care of ourselves, and not throw money away on things we think we are supposed to want.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Two minor thoughts: Cut out the artificial sweetners. Go back to regular sugar. It has calories that you will need on a reduced diet and are far, far cheaper.

Second, strengthen your connections to everyone, friends and family. Many, many people will need a safty net in the coming times. And for you to pull up to Mom and Pop's or Uncle Bill's house without much warning with all of your household goods in tow, is not the way to do family relations. Renew your contacts and enhance them--in an honest fashion!

Oh, and a third tip: Don't even think of having a pet if you don't have one. If you do, think about some decent way getting rid of it. The only thing worse than having somebody else's kids in your house is their pets. Pets can make or break finding shelter and chill one you have gained.

I am currently accomodating my single son as a house guest, and actually the relationship has improved since he seems to appreciate the old man's wisdom and comforts more than he ever has.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Humans wouldn't have lasted so long if we didn't know how to adapt,right now judging from your post things are not really bad,they are just not as stable as you may be used to.When push comes to shove and things get REALLY bad.You will naturally cut back on 90% of the things you buy and do even right now.For some it will be hard and others it will be a very hard transition to make,but most humans will get their in the end when need be imo.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith

Why are you buying Koolaide, Pop, and sugar if your so poor???

Learn to shop better and spend your moeny else where.

A bag of potato's and a dozen eggs would have been more healthy, cheaper, and last a hell of a lot longer than the 3 forms of sugar you bought.

Anyways, enough of the lecture.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by MrSmith]

Hey thank you for the advise but please read this from a post above.
Please everyone understand that I am not poor right now, yes my income was cut like crazy but my husband and I have done pretty good, to be so young (I am not bragging, we work very hard) and we were smart and owe for nothing but our home, so as long as we can pay the mortgage and electric bill we are fine. I just simply see what the future holds. My OP was made with the intent of saying that when I go to the grocery I see prices going up. There are no jobs, and when some do come open many people are applying because they are out of work. I see more and more violent crimes in the paper as well as stealing. The government is trying to pass a financial reform giving the Feds power over our financial system and I have a hunch they will implement the Pope's recent financial reform when this passes. Obama was on the news today stating that it would pass because he would do whatever it took to pass it. This means one more step closer to a NOW or a One World Order. So I feel like I am watching a train wreck and cannot do a darn thing about it.
I am not feeling sorry for myself; I grew up poor, like in a shack with black paper on the outside with no air or heat, water or stove. We cooked in an electric skillet and carried water in. So I can survive, my fear is that our Nation is falling and that is sad and scary. There are many people who are going to suffer terribly. There are so many people with disabilities and the elderly that cannot take care of them selves. I fear for them not me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Most people are good human beings. I believe this no matter what I hear on TV. Watch After the Quake. Read the thousands of sociological studies done big and small on regular people and you will find overwhelming evidence that the huge majority of people are good caring folk. That will get us through the hard times. Banding together now would be the smart way, but probably will take lots of local tragedies to get the ball rolling for real. Yes, we are at the worst crisis in our lifetimes, but others have gone through so much more then us in the past and history says that we as a people have made it, I believe history will repeat itself.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I think you're just being paranoid, prices in certain stores are always more expensive than those in others, more so in convenience stores but with those you pay extra because of the convenience of close proximity.

Here in the UK I've not noticed any big increase in prices for food infact thanks to ASDA, Tesco and Morrisons all competing for customers they have entered a price war so prices are pretty good, then there's the likes of Aldi & Lidl which have really nice cheap products too.

I'm sure if you shopped around you'd realise that prices aren't generally on the up unless you live in a low density demographic region in which case prices will naturally be higher because there's less sales being made in those zones!

I think it hilarious though you're willing to kill & cook a rabbit but when it comes to the easy part of actually eating it, you suddenly have moral issues ?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

I think it hilarious though you're willing to kill & cook a rabbit but when it comes to the easy part of actually eating it, you suddenly have moral issues ?

My wife is this way also. Even with chicken! She likes chicken, but it has to already be prepared. She can't eat it off the bone, and if she has to cook and prepare it, she won't eat it!

I understand. Sometimes you see the arteries and tendons. If she runs across something like that while she is eating, she is finished!

So, either she prepares it, or she eats it, but never both. Since she ways 98 lbs, I wind up doing the preparing, because I want her to eat!

As for paranoid, the OP is right on! Food prices have increased dramatically since gas prices went up, and they never came back down. Especially if you are buying name brand stuff. I typically buy private label, but there are some things that just aren't the same. There are some private labels that are better too!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
HAHA OH WOW. That sounds like a luxury. Maybe this'll cheer you up.

There are no jobs and the ones that are available have like 500 people applying for the same position. The grocery store has become absolutely ridiculous as far as prices. More and more businesses are closing.

Been there, done that. Inflation rate in Argentina? 10%, montly. You forget the meaning of the word ridiculous after ten years of the same s***. About the businesses thing, in the nineties we had this wonderful president (sarcasm included) who decided it'd be a good idea to annihilate any kind of national industry that had survived the hyper inflation of the 80s. Geez, more people on the street; at least if you were lucky enought to have a job, you got to eat caviar and imported stuff because in another stroke of brilliance the man had decided to set the change in 1 peso (nat. currency) = 1 dolar.

I am afraid of what it will be like if and when we have to eat stuff like that just to survive.

Haha, trust me, you haven't been through anything. Again, we've been in and out of crisis worse than yours for seventy years, never had to eat a rabbit to survive.

We have cut down on most luxuries and I miss eating out at nice restaurants a couple of times a week, now we out like never!

I haven't been to a restaurant in five years.

My total at the check out was 54.00 and change. I thought to myself, it will not be long till I will have to learn to eat (gag) rabbit.

Le gasp! A normal day at a supermarket is never under 100 dollars (in comparison, I'm not considering change here).

What I'm trying to say here? That I'm sick of europeans and americans going crazy with this. It's nothing new, just change your habits (stop consuming, treat any new tech you buy as if you pretend to use it for another ten years, etc) and be creative. We've had generations of people here (I'm talking about Argentina in particular) and things have been much, much worse. I'm 17 and I've been through 3 of these crises. My refrigerator has 25 years old, my cellphone is at least four years old, clothes? use some hand-me-downs, otherwise we just buy one or two things a year. Vacations? I haven't been on holiday since I was twelve, and that was a three-day stay at my godmother's house in the coast. We spend more than what you'd consider 900 dollars in food every month.
And I'm just lower/middle class.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Aelur]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

We have stopped talking to each other, we have stopped working toward a solution. We let the fear they create control us, thus we are walking right into their trap and they appear to be uninvolved.

Yes we have this sight, but I do not know any of you or how to contact you or speak with others about solutions, so even this is of no use to us in regards to solutions. We have become wirtual people instead of real people.

I get $400 a month and have a car that can only make it into town (11 miles) and back. I have no one I can turn to. We were turned down for medicaid because my daughter ( 9yrs old and an American citizen) does not have a state sponsored picture ID card.

We are on the verge of being homeless.
My grocery list from Walmart:
milk, lowfat
bread
cheese
eggs
butter
oats
raisins
bananas
potatoes
1 onion
3lbs ground beef
frozen chicken
macaroni noodles
refried beans
enchalada sauce

price 72.00

This will have to last us for over three weeks.
Again, there is not one living soul upon this earth I can depend on, call on for help or even talk to.

We put ourselves here. We forgot God, we forgot we need each other.

Growing up on a farm I saw my parents be there for each other, for neighbors and strangers alike. Integrity, honest, caring, giving, these were my gifts from my parents that I can pass on to my children, and I have. Especially in our homeschool.

But they to are seeing, sadly how these are now the evils and the evils are the good of humanity.

But just maybe, this is not as bad as you thing. As Joseph said to his brother, "you meant it for evil, but God meant it for good."

I am awake and ready to do whatever I can and be what God intends for me, but from where I am now, I see that I must walk alone, as I have no one to work with or beside. One with God is a majority, but how I long for a real group of friends to bring it down with.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aelur

I am sorry that things are like that in Argentina but I thank you for coming into this thread and putting a rational perspective on things. People seem to forget that things are far worse off in other countries right now and what they currently have is a utopia in comparison.

It's a shame people can't be given a reality check all the time to make them realise things aren't as bad as their irrational fear is making them out to be.

There's a saying "If you're not happy with what you have, you'll never be happy with what you want" and it's evidently true in todays society

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech
I am not a member of PETA, I am not a vegetarian, but learn some
tolerance of others and their beliefs as long as they do not step
on your beliefs.

I have no problems with vegetarians as long as they don't resort to extreme tactics like disrupting customers at a fastfood drive through. These people are far more likely to help stupid animals than their own fellow humans.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You can see that there are SO many ways to deal with this situation, and one of the wonderful things about humans is the adaptability.

Our communities here in N Scotland are very strong. You get to know and work with a few hundred people and there is a strong sense of safety. It's not the only way through this mess but our experience through years of mass unemployment here has helped us survive. We've used LETS (Google LETS SYSTEMS), music gatherings, festivals and we are becoming a Transition Town.

It is not always 100% happy and joyful (the weather sees to that), but while there is time, we can enjoy good times. We have noticed that these community activities grow during times of unemployment, and shrink in "prosperity", but they never wither away and die, and can be restored, like a Resurrection Plant, very easily and quickly.

There's an old song "Love the One you're With", I guess that applies to our communities and neighbours and so we can work with those we find ourselves around, and this will take us beyond prejudice into Goodwill, Love in Action.

Don't be afraid, because that will weaken you. Plan for yourself, your children, dig the garden, plant some things. This will make you strong. If you don't have a garden, make friends with someone who has...

Do what you can to make yourself feel safe, and yes, avoid drinks that contain the nerve-gas based aspartame (in all "diet" soda). (Google ASPARTAME DANGERS), which weakens you.

Be Well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join