It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fellow ATS members, I am scared....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter
Take all of this in as a net positive thing...

We are simply returning to a sustainable standard of living...there is no negativity about it, unless you are addicted to excess, like most bloated Americans...

Life will take on meaning again, simple pleasures will once again exhilarate you...

Your meaningful relationships will strengthen their bonds..

Your sense of community will begin to take its rightful precedence...

You will experience life again....embrace it!!

Sustainable? We've only just begun to see how low this is going to go.

Your view, which resembles what I would call that the altruistic globalists, to me is as offensive as that of the big bad NWO globalists is what kills the dream as much as the other does.

There was nothing WRONG with the standard of life many in the developed nations achieved and there is nothing wrong with wanting to and fighting to keep it. That was nothing to feel guilty about. And your ready acceptance that things have to go down to a "simpler" level is accepting and giving up.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
If you must eat meat , learn to expand your horizons.

You got it right there. Instead of spending money on RAID, expand your horizon.
blog.asiahotels.com...

Cockroaches are excellent source of protein, and deep fried . . . YUMMY!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Matthew 6:25-34 25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek
for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I don't know if you are a Christian or not but I always find this comforting. You see, God knows what we need and He will provide. He has never let me down, ever.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I mentioned religion briefly in my previous post, and got to thinking more about it. And while religion may comfort many, and while I would never judge someone for using it for comfort because I surely do, I often wonder if for some it's a sedative of sorts, another way to bury your head in the sand, and maybe prevents some from either rally noticing and taking action in the secular world, which in reality is all we have at this moment, or a fatalistic acceptance of some inevitable "thing" that's coming. I also deep down can't help thinking that unscrupulous people could and would use this as a tool, as a method to gaining their ends.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
1 small bag of lemons
2 lbs hamburger meat
5 packs of kool aid
1 can of soup
1 box of crackers
2 twelve packs of Diet Coke with Splenda
1 large bag of Splenda
1 bottle of Dawn dish detergent
1 small bag of onions
1 12 pack of toilet paper

Drink plain water, plant a garden with heirloom seeds,
try to barter some fresh veggies for other goods with
family and neighbors.

For zero cal sweetner try Stevia, it is natural and you can grow it yourself.

Doing this you could reduce your list to this:

1 bottle of Dawn dish detergent
1 12 pack of toilet paper

If you need some extra money the garden can help out.

As for being scared, there is a lot of bad things coming down the
pike and its normal to be concerned, what will make you feel
better is taking REAL action that has REAL results.

Self reliance has a feeling of strength, and there other things
than rabbit to eat in the world.

You can grow giant golden amaranth and then use a solar cooker
to pop the seeds like popcorn and it is a complete protein.

The seed packs are like $3 on ebay.

Good Luck !

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Toilet paper is supposed to be ripped off .. not a ripoff!
Seriously, what really get's me are the prices of razor blades, toiletries and everyday household cleaners.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hi, no offence intended, but you should really contemplate your own signatureand decide whether or not to alter/remove it 1st. Next invest some time looking into some of the survival threads here also to gain valuable insight and put things even more into perspective. Up until this post, notice that there are more positive things that you can do mentioned than people agreeing that things are fated against you hon. I know this is gonna sound corniest of all, but say a prayer that if there is something out there that cares about you and can/will, would they/it please reduce your anxiety level...maybe grasping at straws, but perhaps not, and you won't KNOW if you don't try, right? You say that you've overcome hardships before; can you again? To quote Tom Brown from his book Field Guide To 'Wilderness Survival', "take the storm one wave at a time". Best Regards to you and yours, Michael

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

mellisa i do share your fear.more though for my country,as it seems to becoming unrecognisable. here's my thoughts on fear. if you
feel it to be growing, don't water it. if it lingers, don't loiter w/ it. if it stocks
you, don't run. it will over take and devour you. (you can not live w/fear).
turn and face it (have courage).if you battle fear(do something about it)
you will defaet it(it has no substance). if it only nags at you.(it is trying to tell you something) in this case it's a good thing.listen to it,anb prepare as best you can. carry the Lords prayer w/ you always. your fears are justified Mellisa.i hope you fare well.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Self-reliance is GOOD. But please don't tell me you all aren't just hunkering in and accepting the inevitable? Are you accepting what you view as the inevitable? Or are you also complaining about the prices and demanding answers for them? Demanding goods made in your own country? Questioning how the prices go up during times of fuel-cost highs and then conveniently never come down again? I swear these people think we're stupid blind dumb accepting animals.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Im sorry to say, but I think its all part of the plan to get to a One world government. When things get really bad, people start to comit crime, steal,murder etc. When people are instilled with enough fear, we will conform to anything that promisses a better future.

A while back we had about a thousand blacks from the nearby location walk into a Spar(food store in South Africa) and loot it. They just took what they wanted and no one could do anything. Desperation does strange things to people. Just be prepared, its gonna get worse before it gets better. Im just a realist, im not trying to bring you down further.

My greevences for your situation, I dont like to see people suffer.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

atheism is a non prophet organisation
i saw that and i just about fell off my chair, good one

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I hope this doesn't come off offensive to the OP, but if you are buying Splenda things aren't very bad!!!!

If you are scrimping to the point of killing and eating rabbit, then "diet" sweeteners don't make any sense at all.

In hard times, the more calories you can store the better. Starving people, and poor people, and depression era families were not watching their weights!

Plus, if you feel like hard times are coming, you need to be stocking up on the foods that will benefit you, and store for a long time. Each trip to the grocery store, I buy evaporated canned milk, 10lbs of sugar, spam, vitamins (especially vitamin C). I look at expiration dates more than I look at prices.

It is understandable to be concerned in these times, but your comments seem contradictory. I don't doubt your sincerity, so if you truly feel the way you say, it is time to change your habits, and your way of thinking!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think that panicing will not help at all. We are in this together so are here to support each other. You are righ tthe economy wi ll continue to get worse until there is not one at all, but that does not mean we have to cower and be afriad of the futuer.

We have the chance right now to take necessary steps to ensure our survival when TSHTF. Try putting some food aside, even if its not much, do what you can. Also look for like minded people in your area. When things get very bad we will all depend on each other, and its more safe to be n a group.

I have 3 small children but i am not only preparing for myself. I am planning on my sisters and their husbands coming home to our parents house ( they have 30 aches in the NH mountains and we all I've relatively close by) So all in all their will be 12 adults and 7 children. My husband and I are the only ones saving anything. But I refuse to let this effect me in a negative way.. Each time i go shopping i spend 5-10 on stored food.. (Rice, beans, lentils) and although It hits us hard right now at the end of the month when bills are paid we go do 100 of storage food shopping.

Unfortunately to save money you might want to get ride of the soda, you want to be in your best shape and that is not helping. Splenda is very very bad for you, aspartame has over 72 side effects. I've stopped having coffee, since thats one thing I will not afford when SHTF.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I hear you, Melissa, and I feel your pain and fear. This economy being in the hole is for the birds, and I am certain many in here will agree. I can easily remember my Mom buying groceries for a family of six for a week for $20, now it costs me $30 a day to feed a family of five. I used to be able to fill up my van for $20, now it's more like $70, and I even quit smoking because I got tired of the rather large tax increase on tobacco. I live on a fixed income, as does my wife, and what that means is we get the same paycheck each month. We just recently received notice that social security would not be getting a cost of living raise for two years. Meanwhile to prices will just go up, keep on getting higher....and to what end? What will happen when the food costs more than we make? Is this the point when the military transport comes around and offers to take us to the camps for food and medicines? I think a lot of it is farce too, check this....
I live in Ohio. A few weeks ago, the governor, Ted Strickland said the State was broke with a $462B deficient. But! the road crews are working, putting down new pavement on Ohio 35, and a few bridges are being rebuilt too. Our little town, which has discussed what it would be like if the State cut funding for the library, now has money to run the mosquito fogger truck every night. I read, but cannot remember the url or site, that each State has a secret account with $50B+ in it at all times. Can anyone confirm this? I wonder when the State governments will step up and do something here? Some have passed resolutions to cut federal power, but when will they take the next step?

I think we al are a little scared of what the future might bring. We just need to trust in ourselves and know we will win out.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

You are lucky that some of the cronnies of those screwups, those atheists who brought the economic mess in by following their evil religion of quick enrichment are not around this thread, coz you would have heard from them. The evildoers busy themselves by inventing “rational financial instruments” that caused the high unemployment and hardship for so many and their cronies are more than ready to challenge the words of comfort for those who found it repulsive to cheat their way out of their predicament caused by the diseased secular brains.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Sustainable? We've only just begun to see how low this is going to go.

Your view, which resembles what I would call that the altruistic globalists, to me is as offensive as that of the big bad NWO globalists is what kills the d
There was nothing WRONG with the standard of life many in the developed nations achieved and there is nothing wrong with wanting to and fighting to keep it. That was nothing to feel guilty about. And your ready acceptance that things have to go down to a "simpler" level is accepting and giving up.

You are sadly misled..

Your lifestyle that you are desperately clinging to is based entirely on an unsustainable scam...better living via massive credit expansion...or should I say debt slavery..

Perfectly natural economic forces forces are beginning to bring us back to reality....whether you like it or not...

Giving up? Hardly....My well being does not revolve around buying worthless junk because I was programmed to do so by the lords of systematic slavery...

Try to pry yourself away from Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly...they are the mouthpieces for an outdated paradigm...

[edit on 15-7-2009 by RolandBrichter]

[edit on 15-7-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtinguish
Do you have the grounds to plant a garden?

If not there a lot of neat things out there to plant compact gardens. Stuff like this:

www.shopoursavings.com...

I started planting a few months back. Also, if you do have some ground raising chickens is very helpful too!

Yup, best advice there is these days...if you don't have land, then start watching youtube videos on container gardening, indoor gardening, balcony gardening etc, and try your best to get non GM heirloom seeds, so you can collect your own seeds every harvest and replant for free etc...

A wake up call is good, it can get you in gear in the right direction to start doing these things NOW and being more prepared.

NO need to be SCARED, just be PREPARED!

(hey that could be our new slogan...
)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. Thing is I do have a garden, I do clip coupons. Yes I am a Christian so thank you that verse. I did not eat the bunny but my husband and daughter did so it was not killed in vain. And no we did not have to kill the rabbit out of desperation we are doing good right now and if I can afford Splenda I am going to buy it as long as I can. We have been preparing by stocking up and we killed the bunny to see how it will be when we have no choice. It was a trial run so to speak. We are trying to get used to the idea and prepare.

We have a family farm with a well and everything so like I said I am not worried about my personal survival. I am more concerned with our Country as a whole. I fear the violence, the stealing, looting, hysteria that I think we are going to see. I worry about people that aren’t prepared. That is my fear. And to be honest yes I have been very spoiled, I love my hot baths, I love shrimp, steak, lobster, I love having the internet and ATS. So yea I am not scared of my survival but of the loss of my lifestyle. I will get over that and adjust. I just think that the last few days I have come to realize that things aren't going to get better. I mean I have been aware of the collapse for some time and I have been preparing for months but part of me kept thinking we would find good jobs again and things would be back to normal, not just for my family but for our Nation as a whole. But my last layer of denial fell off and reality hit and it has scared the h#ll out of me. This country is not going to pull out of this and be like it was before; the world is not going to be like before. Like I said in my OP I am not a doom and gloom kind of person I am honestly an optimistic, but this is reality folks it is here and it isn’t going to get better.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I totally agree. I think the inevitable is starting to be more clear to everyone! It sounds like you have the perfect set up for surviving though. May I suggest Solar Power for your home. This will ensure that your well continues to work, and you won't have to sacrifice your hot baths!

Admittedly, I still buy Splenda also. I still need to lose some pounds. I also buy Sugar though. I am stocking it up. I feel calories and certain vitamins are going to be the limiting factor in a survival situation. Vitamin A and C are the most important, since food sources will be limited. It may be impossible to get good fruit or vegetables.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
No doubt about it. Things are dicey at the moment. But people's perspective on our situation is largely driven by their age I think. Younger people havn't seen things so screwed-up and therefor feel it's the end of the world. Thos of us that are older have seen this before. yes, this is a particularly nasty time but it's not all that unique.

Back in the late 80's early 90's there was a recession and real estate collapse that destryoed alot of businesses and families. Interest rates were off-the-hook and employment prospects were slim.

Back in the mid 70's we had an oil shortage and there was rationing, long lines and a huge (for the time) spike in gas prices. When I was in high school you could find gas for 19-cents a gallon.

When I was a youngster we had the USSR, nuclear war and imminent destruction hanging over our heads. Rather than some rogue group that might get their hands on a nuclear device and try to use it on the US we had a huge, technologically sophisticated country with thousands of massive nuclear devices fully ready to let them fly at the slightest provocation.

So yes, things are tough right now. And they don't get better over night (despite what some people here seem to believe). We're far from out-of-the-woods but things are, believe it or not, slowly beginning to level-out. We've a ways to go but if we can avoid some major out-of-left-field event we can get oursleves back on our feet. What we lack is patience and a perspective. Never in the past have we just woken up one morning and everything is back to the way it was before the meltdown.

Just hang in there, learn from this experience and the worm will turn. Just wait and see. Not the popular hysterical POV of most but one cast in a long life experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join