It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Amendment trampled in Wisconsin! Shocking!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
< Gulf vet

Flying the flag upside down to signify a nation in distress is not disrespecting the flag.

In fact because of the controversy it creates, it is brave display of patriotism.

The first amendment guarantees the rights of the citizenry to be free from persecution when protesting the government.

The fourth amendment guarantees the right of the people to be free from warrantless seizures of property.

And the fifth amendment guarantees that the people shall not be deprived of property without due process and just compensation.

All three of this mans fundamental rights were violated. Not to mention numerous other rights that are not explicitly defined in the bill of rights.

The man is a patriot, the police should be fired for violating their oath to uphold the constitution, and the town should be sued as penalty for encouraging it.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Have to agree with you there.

He has every right to fly the flag any which way he likes.

Just because there's a few selfish whiners doesn't mean it should be taken down.

People get on this sensitivity kick as I call it and think they have every right to impede someone else's right.

So if I see someone wearing a shirt inside out can I call the cops and have the shirt confiscated for a few hours sense it offends me?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus

Yes, there could very well be another reason or the MSM could have left anything out they felt may dumb down the situation but whatever the reason I think it is important to focus on the main issue, that being that his 1st Amendment rights were deprived of him.

Whatever reason he was flying the flag upside down, it was his right as an American Citizen who has the freedom of speech. We may not aggree on the reason he did it if it is truly what the MSM reported however we still must acknowledge his right to do so.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You know, I really hated the response by some of the protesters in the article "It's his right to voice his opinion, but maybe he should find another 'better' way to protest"

You know what? F*CK YOU! Who the F*CK do you think you are to tell someone how to protest? If it was up to you arrogant cowardly t*ats the U.S. would STILL be under british rule with the action being taken being "Let's talk! I know the king has treated us like crap all these years and trampled our rights, but I'm sure he'll listen now!"

Sometimes you need to have an extreme show of protest such as this in order to get your message across, and if your human sensibilities get hurt because of it? Good! Now GROW A PAIR!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Free speech is important but you have to realize flying a flag upside down is like calling 911. If you called 911 to complain that you didn't get your liquor license...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Most people do not know it is a distress signal. If more people knew what it actually means they could ask the person doing it as to what the distress is. There are also cases in which a real emergency was taking place. The reason for doing it is to get attention to an issue.

I believe that it should only be used as an emergency distress signal.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This was just absolutely wrong. The fact is that if we as a people allow this type of action go as justifiable as the town did there, then where do we end? Who will determine what is the end reason for being able to justify actions. That needs to be stopped and an example made out of these cops and the town to show that a violation of our civil liberties will not be tolerated at any costs.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The guy's pissed he didn't get a liquor license. He's not the first to have been denied a license. I have an idea... get the license FIRST, then spend your $200K renovating. The guy's an idiot. Misplaced anger.
Thats said... the cops have no right taking away his flag.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger

I believe that it should only be used as an emergency distress signal.

Maybe you did not notice. The US Citizen is in serious danger and distress. Our Police taze us for not handing over our license quick enough. DAs prosecute us for assault on an officer when they hurt themselves arresting us.

I myself was once arrested. I said nothing, zip, zero. I complied with every order given except the order to speak. I was released on a PR bond with the additional more sever charge of "assault by threat on an officer".

Their is a pattern. Good LEOs are going extinct being replaced by a police state.

The US is in big darn trouble. The sooner we see it the sooner we can save the endangered Good LEO.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

Im not sure if youve noticed but the current state of affairs in the US is most certainly in major distress.

The peoples voices arent being heard. The very fabric of America is being torn apart at the seems.

All one has to do is watch the news, or read these forums to get a glimpse.

Walk down to your local family owned market and ask how they are doing, look at the unemployment rate, even after the "bailouts" were going to fix it.
etc etc etc ad nauseum

top topics

<< 1   >>

join