It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we'll never run out of energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
We all know that energy can't be created or destroyed, but where does it all come from? Is there an finite or infinite amount? As usual, my answer is "both".

The beginning of the universe is commonly known as the big bang, where everything started from a single very small point and the universe has been expanding ever since. Well sure this is true, from a human perspective.

Now I want you to imagine things from the universe's perspective for a moment. People always talk about the universe expanding, but from the universe's perspective it's not really expanding at all. This is because it has nothing to expand in relation to. Remember it's all relative, and the universe is just the sum of it's parts. From the universe's perspective, the parts within it are contracting, including us!

What this means is that as long as we keep contracting relative to the whole, we'll continue using smaller and smaller amounts of energy. If the universe never stops doing this (and there's clear signs of this process speeding up), we'll have a potentially infinite supply of available energy to use, whether it's from the sun, natural resources, or other as of yet undiscovered sources. So there IS a finite supply, but that supply always appears to be growing.

Expansion, contraction... it's all the same mathematically. The only difference is perspective.

The catch, at least for now... is that we're stuck on planet earth. Eventually I imagine we'll need to start taking resources from other planets in our solar system. Later on we'll branch out further into space as the need arises. But as long as the universe expands faster than we do, we'll never run out.

Not to say that we should waste resources, I still think efficiency should be one of our main priorities. After all, if we don't use our resources for evolutionary growth, we won't make it off this rock in time. And this is important, for our evolution is very much in our (collective) hands now. No longer is our fate left solely to nature or chance (not that it ever was, but we're realizing this more now than ever).

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
And what is your point?

and this is the second line of my post.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Given your theory, while we contract so are all of our sources of energy, so our energy consumption remains constant relative to the available energy.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Pseudo science is not science.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Eh...this is assuming we develop efficient ways of space travel.
We might not run out of energy, but we might run out of usable forms of it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
It's called solar power. It's been around since the dawn of earth. It will be around till the end of earth.

GG.

join