It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military Behind Honduras Coup - Bolivia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

US Military Behind Honduras Coup - Bolivia

www.nasdaq.com

"I have first-hand information that the empire, through the U.S. Southern Command, made the coup d'etat in Honduras,"
President Morales said during a visit to the Uruguayan capital Montevideo.

The coup that saw Honduran President Manuel Zelaya swept up by the military on June 28 in his pajamas and expelled from the country "is an aggression, a provocation of the empire," he added.

"Maybe I do not know Obama, but the imperial structure remains in force."

Ties between the U.S. and Boli
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....

Well, if he has the proof then show it
However.... whether he has proof or not i'm fairly sure he's right.

The State Department and US Congress financed and advised the honduran actors and organizations which participated in the coup.

The Pentagon trained, financed, and armed the honduran army which perpetrated the coup and which continues to repress the honduran people.

The US military presence in Honduras, which occupies the military base at Soto Cano (Palmerola), authorized the coup with its tactical complicity and refusal to withdraw military support to the honduran forces.

In spite of the fact that republican senator John McCain coordinated the visit of the coupsters to Washington through a lobbying organization called the Cormac Group, actually Bill Clinton's lawyer and close friend of Hillary, Lanny Davis, was contracted as a "lobbyist" to gain public acceptance of Washington for the de facto government in Honduras.
www.rebelion.org...

I mean i'm fairly sure we are all know at least a little about America's history in Latin America.

I mean this would simply be a case of history repeating itself.

In 1970, in Bolivia, when then-President Juan Jose Torres nationalized Gulf Oil properties and tin mines owned by US interests, and tried to establish friendly relations with Cuba and the Soviet Union, he was playing with fire.

The coup to overthrow Torres, led by US-trained officer and Gulf Oil beneficiary Hugo Banzer, had direct support from Washington. When Banzer's forces had a breakdown in radio communications, US Air Force radio was placed at their disposal. Once in power, Banzer began a reign of terror. Schools were shut down as hotbeds of political subversive activity.
Within two years, 2,000 people were arrested and tortured without trial. As in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, the native Indians were ordered off their land and deprived of tribal identity.
www.thirdworldtraveler.com...

Left is Pinochet and Right side is Banzer

www.nasdaq.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-7-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

While it might be true, are goverment is to inept to try and organzie a coup. I think that countries military did it on there own accord, ours might want to take notice.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This reminds me of Haiti, when Aristide was ousted a couple of years ago. We've largely forgotten all about that by now; no surprise there. I believe Canada even has troops there now to "keep the peace". Aristide claims that he was wrested from his bed by a bunch of North American accented English speakers. Just looking at a map, it would make sense for the U.S. to ensure "friendly" regimes in the area given the uncertain future of Cuba now that Castro's fading away, and the recent Russian Bomber runs out of Venezuela. Good luck proving any of it though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how hard Venezuela and Cuba get pasted in the up and coming World War.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Blaming the U.S. for everything is getting VERY old! It's a tired argument meant only for the gullible.

Perhaps other countries and individuals need to start taking responsibility for their own actions which caused their problems.

Hey, my toilet is overflowing, I blame the U.S. and how dare them allow this to happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Blaming the U.S. for everything is getting VERY old! It's a tired argument meant only for the gullible.

Or perhaps it's meant for the historians

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This would be a little less absurd if Washington had not immediately condemned the coup and called for Zelaya to return to office immediately

The US has played plenty of dirty tricks in Latin America over the years, but this does not appear to have been one of them.

It's quite possible, given our track record, that the Honduran military expected US support, however.

But the game changed on January 20... perhaps they weren't paying attention.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

No no no, we all know that Obama supported the coup. After all you expect him to say it out loud? Better to deny than to admit.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The ironic fact is that most CIA initiated coups end up backfiring on the US. The 1953 CIA-inspired coup in Iran is a perfect example. Armas and Pahlavi, the US installed figures, led Iran into a strict dictatorship, which ultimately led to the "Iranian Ismalic Revolution", which still controls Iran.
The 1954 Guatemalan CIA-coup was even worse:

Within a few years after the 1954 coup, Guatemala fell into a maelstrom of guerrilla war and state terror in which hundreds of thousands of people died. "The C.I.A. intervention began a ghastly cycle of violence, assassination and torture in Guatemala," said Stephen G. Rabe, a historian from the University of Texas at Dallas and author of "Eisenhower and Latin America: The Foreign Policy of Anticommunism." "The Guatemalan intervention of 1954 is the most important event in the history of U.S. relations with Latin America," Mr. Rabe said. "It really set the precedent for later interventions in Cuba, British Guiana, Brazil and Chile. The tactics were the same, the mindset was the same, and in many cases the people who directed those covert interventions were the same."

www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join