It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lazy cats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
When I got home today, my 2 cats were laying on the back porch, nothing weird. However when I went to pet them, instead of perking up and following me around like usual, they stayed still. One was so unresponsive I thought he was dead. I just concluded they were enjoying the sun after the we had this morning but when i got to my girlfriend's house later, her indoor cat was doing the same thing, just laying on the couch. She had a friend over who said his cats (also indoor cats) were acting abnormally lazy and laying in places they normally don't. Has anyone else noticed anything strange with their cats recently? If not I guess it's just a really weird coincidence.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Odd you mention this..It's not about a cat but my roommates dog. He made the comment today that she wasnt acting herself and I didnt get it. I have only been around her a year where him her whole life. He said she was different and not herself. IDK if that is the same as your cats but I found it weird you mentioned your cats acting different and my roomie talking about his dog.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
As strange as it may look, yes.

I noticed that my cat has been sleeping in places in which he usually does not sleep (although he can sleep in any place, like all cats
), but it's hard to tell if he is more lazy than usual because he takes some pills for the stress (he was accustomed to have people with him all day long and now he has to spend all afternoon alone during the week) that make him even more lazy than he already was.

And as you can see below my name, I am in Portugal.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I found our oldest cat (she's 17), sleeping in the kitty litter tray the other day, which was weird (it had just been changed, thank goodness). She's never done that before. Got her checked by a vet just in case but she is fine. Our youngest cat (2 y.o. Birman) has taken to actually sitting on my lap every chance she gets now (never used to). She's been doing that for the last few days. Our 15 y.o. Tonkinese is his usual, quirky self. He's always doing weird things. heh

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I only noticed it my cats. the dogs were acting normal

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
My cat is fine. I think the weather and the lack of birds to stare at is just making him lazy.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I dont have cats or dogs (just my daughters fish) but we have several strays who have had a couple of litters recently. I can tell you, these cats are certainly not lazy, but they have been fighting like crazy lately. So loudly that they are annoying the neighborhood dogs who are now barking thier heads off thanks to the darn cats.

The neighborhood is going crazy. We now have rabbits and squirrels all over the place as well, which is really odd because of all the cats around here.

In the years prior to this one, we rarely saw any animals around here. Now they are everywhere.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Cat "flu" is going around, one of mine spent the night vomiting and another is sick today. My boss'es cat is sick too.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Okay, normally I strike these kinds of things up as synchronicity in consciousness, i.e., person notices something odd so they point it out to another person who because it was pointed out to them notice it too, and so forth. However, in this case I'm willing to consider that it may be something more than that.

My roommate's cat is primarily an outdoor cat. Late last night the cat ran inside the house which is normal. She generally meows for attention or food when she comes inside. Late last night she did neither. I woke up this morning to find her laying almost comatose next to the toilet in the bathroom. When I picked her up she went rigid with fright. She started to hiss but stopped abruptly like she realized there was no reason to but still remained rigid. I put her outside thinking that her behavior of sleeping in the bathroom and then reacting the way she was was extremely odd.

When I left the house for work this morning she was lying right were I put her. Normally she would have stormed off in a huff if she was upset.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My cat is as lazy as the day I got him. Spends about 2/3rds of the day asleep, then comes alive and attacks everything in sight before demanding food and then going back to sleep. He's only 4 months old though

But, in my experience, cats are lazy animals. They have no need to hunt, except for sport and have their human "owners" (I use that term loosely) to tend to their every whim. Noticing your cat is lazy is like noticing that dogs smell, it's a given!

Now, if you said your cats were acting strange, making funny noises and generally being much more active than normal, that would be worth looking into. If there was some danger they were aware of, they'd not be sitting around mulling it over on the porch.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My cat has been laying in strange places lately. Ive noticed that he hasnt been moving around as much. Also he is pretty young in kitty years so i guess its been the strange weather.

seems like its fall during the summer here in NY.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

It is miserably hot and humid here, it is hard to breathe outside. I was in NYC and DC last summer and it was unbearable, glad you are getting a respite but doesn't that mean a really bad winter? An aunt in Ohio said she had to wear a sweater yesterday it was so cold.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
My cat is her usual demanding and odd self... Maybe like another poster said there could be a localised bug or virus?

Maybe it's the water? Try bottled for a few weeks, or get one of those filters, or the filter jugs, or you could just try water that's been boiled in the kettle and left to go cold.

Personally I'd just get a tiny bit of sticky tape and put it on the pads of their paw... They hate that!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
4 cats, all normal.
I volunteer for a cat rescue organization and tomorrow I'm going in to do some stuff. I'll have over 70 more data points for you then.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by joemustard

I don't own a cat (
) or a dog, but I will say that I work outside from 5am - 2ish pm five days a week. I work outside as security for a lumber yard (letting semi's in mainly), and the place is out in the goonies. There is a large field right next to my little hut I have to stay in, and I can really get a look at the outdoors. In the mornings it sounds like I am in an aviary with all the birds around.

Lately (today and yesterday especially) I have noticed alot of birds staying closer to the ground more often than normal. Again, I mainly have huge semi's come through the drive into the yard, so why are all of a sudden the birds becoming daring and staying on the ground more often? Today I saw a few haws that sat on the building almost all day.

Not sure if it is at all connected (location might have something to do with it) but it might. But I do know that normally I don't see this many daring birds hopping around on the ground.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
i have two cats, one male and one female, they are both outside cats and are usually fighting with the neighbors cat. the female had three kittens sunday so shes in the house now and my chihuahua thinks shes their mother...its adorable, both cats have been very lazy lately and only move around about twice a day. i find my dog, tinks, behaviour strange...but shes never been around newborn animals before..she is a year old this month..she is literally with them all day, cleaning them cuddling with them, she growls and barks when someone comes in or comes close which is NOT like her at all, she loves everyone...she even snapped at the kitens mother earlier...she flips if you pick them up or go to touch them...

I know most chihuahuas are only nice to their one owner and tend to growl and bite everyone else, but tink is not like that, i have had her since she was born and kept her around people all her life including children cause i have 3 kids, and she loves everyone will go up to anyone as long as i am right there, otherwise she stands back and barks till i come up to a person then licks them sensless..shes never growled except once when she was eating a tbone. I just had to get up cause my daughter is going to bed and wanted to tell the kittens goodnight and tink too and tink growled at her when she got close (tink stays with those kittens at all times) and when my daughter tried to give tink a kiss like she does everynight she continued to growl so i went to pick her up and she growled at me!! its just strange, i've never seen her so demanding and protective, i know she will be an amazing mom when she has her own....

i know its about cats but i just find her behavior and my cats as well very strange right now....tink is curled up with the mom and the kittens, actuallly in between them, i cant get her away lol.

I have pictures of this cuteness overload too lol

It is a cute pose but i did not put them that way, i glanced behind me last night and they were like that so i started taking pics.

bah they arent working when i preview so here is direct links....

i36.photobucket.com...
i36.photobucket.com...

[edit on 14-7-2009 by tasim]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
my cat is just laying around all the time too. But she's pregnant. And I don't know how she normally acts because I just found her the other day. She was hiding in my car...and it was about to storm..so I went out to roll up my window, and she sat down next to me...all skin and bones. so I brought her inside and fed her. I found out she has been declawed, so I knew she had to be some one's pet before, but one of my neighbors said that people like to dump their pets here...so I decided to keep her. I've named her Ginger. Anyone in my area want a kitten when they are born?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ok, The cats at the rescue organization all seem normal today.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dearheart
reply to post by joemustard

Lately (today and yesterday especially) I have noticed alot of birds staying closer to the ground more often than normal. Again, I mainly have huge semi's come through the drive into the yard, so why are all of a sudden the birds becoming daring and staying on the ground more often? Today I saw a few haws that sat on the building almost all day.

Not sure if it is at all connected (location might have something to do with it) but it might. But I do know that normally I don't see this many daring birds hopping around on the ground.

You are absolutely correct about birds staying close to the ground. I drive on a lot of country roads and lately I have noticed that birds simply don't attempt to fly away when I approach them. They would sooner be ran over than just fly away. I'm finding myself having to brake to avoid hitting them.

new topics

top topics

join